Off Topic: New 1620 Lineup

I listen to 93.7 pretty often.  Credit to them for developing young people.  Even more credit to them for having people who can stay mostly huskercentric, but still get some variety.  I dont have any inside knowledge or numbers, but it certainly seems like they take interns for the university and give them a shot.

Miss brett kane and bock.  

As far as the AM side of the radio...nahhh

I will miss Sharp and Benning. I do think Sharp can pull off the solo show. I will miss Severe talking with Dirk about most anything, but that's about it. Not looking forward to him and Benning together--I feel like Mike'l often speaks on sports issues he doesn't know much about. Never a fan of Unsportsmanlike Conduct, unless Sip is on :)

Kevin Harlan (one of the All-timers) use to be the radio voice of the Timberwolves. During Kevin “Da Kid” Garnett’s rookie year, Harlan had one of the greatest calls ever. TWolves were playing the World Champion Rockets, KG takes it right at the Dream & dunks it on him. Harlan says, “And Kevin Garnett.... is A MAN”!!!

14 hours ago, a0t0w0 said:

I listen to 93.7 pretty often.  Credit to them for developing young people.  Even more credit to them for having people who can stay mostly huskercentric, but still get some variety.  I dont have any inside knowledge or numbers, but it certainly seems like they take interns for the university and give them a shot.

Holy smokes, it's a0t0w0! Dude, I thought you'd run off and joined a commune or something. Welcome back. How's the couch?

15 hours ago, a0t0w0 said:

This is the most coherent post a0t0w0 has ever put together... not sure I like it!   just kidding... welcome back @a0t0w0  I also want to know the status of your couch?

On 8/14/2019 at 10:42 AM, Norm Peterson said:

I don't mean to hammer him, but John Bishop was one who always rubbed me the wrong way. He tried too hard to be funny. That or maybe he just wasn't nearly as funny or clever as he thought he was.  I'm glad he's PBP for Creighton and not Nebraska. If Kent ever retires, I hope Bishop doesn't seek the job because I wouldn't be able to listen. It would ruin the experience for me.

I think Greg Sharpe has a great radio voice, but there's a guy who's on with him sometimes (and forgive me because I don't listen enough to know the names) who kinda has an unpleasant, nasal quality to his voice and it's a bit high-pitched as well.

For PBP, I like listening to our very own @Kent Pavelka and Greg Sharpe. I miss Andy Markowski because I think his knowledge of the game as a color guy was superb. I think Matt and Kent had a good rapport that made their banter fun to listen to.

We've been really lucky in this small market because we've had some REALLY good local radio guys who can kind of spoil you when someone not quite up to par comes along.

Bishop is difficult to listen to when he's supposedly waxing eloquent on whatever subject. He grates on one's nerves. I generally avoid that show; It used to be brilliant when Kugler was a part of "Unsportsmanlike Conduct."

On 8/14/2019 at 12:56 PM, NebrasketballJake said:

John Bishop SUCKS. Makes it impossible Unsportsmanlike Conduct conduct. His play by play voice is even worse because it’s mostly screaming

Agree.  Douche screams and acts like the jays are playing in the national championship game every single game.  Horrific.  And I do miss Sharp and Benning and their chemistry and have no idea why they broke them up for the dictator and Benning.  Severe is annoying and structured where Sharp  and Benning were free flowing and funny and knowledgeable.

On 8/14/2019 at 5:58 PM, cipsucks said:

I really enjoyed TBL.  Mike'l's food and entertainment segments were always entertaining.  Also liked his segments with McKewon and Chatelain.  I'm guessing those are going bye bye since the OWH has nothing to do with 1620.  Too bad...

I wouldn't assume that - I think the OWH's simply getting out of the radio business by pullin' the plug on "The Bottom Line."

9 hours ago, coughunter said:

And I do miss Sharp and Benning and their chemistry and have no idea why they broke them up for the dictator and Benning.  Severe is annoying and structured where Sharp  and Benning were free flowing and funny and knowledgeable.

This was all predicated by Bahe leaving, 1620 needing to put someone in that spot, and I wonder if Mike'l wanted to go back to mornings and/or work along side a co-host.

I liked having a 'basketball guy' on in Bahe so Sharp I think works pretty well there. (what about him when Kent decides to retire, btw)

I think Mike'l and Damon will find a groove there after a while and as I like both of their work I'm sure the sum of their parts will work fine for me.

12 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

They also like to talk about Husker basketball, especially Jake and Sip.

I also like listening to Jake and Sip.  

I really only listen to pods of the show so I rarely listen to anything broadcast during the afternoon because it's old news by the next day. The one thing I would go back and listen to would be basketball practice observations and until further notice that isn't happening. 

19 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

This was all predicated by Bahe leaving, 1620 needing to put someone in that spot, and I wonder if Mike'l wanted to go back to mornings and/or work along side a co-host.

I liked having a 'basketball guy' on in Bahe so Sharp I think works pretty well there. (what about him when Kent decides to retire, btw)

I think Mike'l and Damon will find a groove there after a while and as I like both of their work I'm sure the sum of their parts will work fine for me.

I know they tried out a couple different guys before settling on shuffling things up and bringing back Mike'l. I think this will be a good lineup in the end. It'll take a while to find a groove, probably, but they'll find it. Still don't have anything as unique as Schick and Nick. Doubt anyone will be allowed to do a show like that again. It'll have to be a podcast.

19 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I really only listen to pods of the show so I rarely listen to anything broadcast during the afternoon because it's old news by the next day. The one thing I would go back and listen to would be basketball practice observations and until further notice that isn't happening. 

I only listen to pods of shows anymore. Who would have ever guessed radio would be a-la-carte before cable tv would?

2 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

1620 needs more basketball talk with Bahe gone. I hope Sharp will talk college basketball, but I won't hold my breath on the other two shows talking about anything other than Nebraska football, food, and making teenage jokes. 

Sharpe seems like a hoops junkie from his twitter feed so I'd imagine he'll talk a fair amount about basketball, presumably he might focus on local hoops. Guess we shall see.