Off Topic: New 1620 Lineup

1 hour ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Don’t know why they’d separate that chemistry and in return move the start time up to 6 AM and give DB and Severe 4 hours to yell at each other but hey that’s why I don’t work in radio

So, this brings up a question I've been interested in asking the assembled group, and maybe I should do a separate thread, but it seems to dovetail with what you're saying.  There are guys we like in sports talk radio. But are there guys you just cannot stand to listen to?

Maybe because they have a habit that annoys you?

Or a voice that annoys you?

Who do you like? And is there anyone you just wish would find a different career?

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, this brings up a question I've been interested in asking the assembled group, and maybe I should do a separate thread, but it seems to dovetail with what you're saying.  There are guys we like in sports talk radio. But are there guys you just cannot stand to listen to?

Who do you like? And is there anyone you just wish would find a different career?

Thoughts?

Christopher Russo

Mike Francesa

Honestly, this list is really long. There are a lot of bad shows out there.

9 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Christopher Russo

Mike Francesa

Honestly, this list is really long. There are a lot of bad shows out there.

Even though they're widely credited for creating the sports talk genre, I too can't stand either of them.

I do, however, enjoy listening to the Shut Up Sipple segment on the Ticket.  I try to catch that on my way to work in the morning.

Thoughts?

Parker Cyza On 93.7 in Lincoln really doesn’t say anything worth jack and usually just says “yeah” and “uh huh” in response to anything that’s said. Dudes got an annoying voice as well. Feel bad for Tom Stephens he’s been through a bunch of co hosts and this might be the worst one he’s been dealt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mean to hammer him, but John Bishop was one who always rubbed me the wrong way. He tried too hard to be funny. That or maybe he just wasn't nearly as funny or clever as he thought he was.  I'm glad he's PBP for Creighton and not Nebraska. If Kent ever retires, I hope Bishop doesn't seek the job because I wouldn't be able to listen. It would ruin the experience for me.

I think Greg Sharpe has a great radio voice, but there's a guy who's on with him sometimes (and forgive me because I don't listen enough to know the names) who kinda has an unpleasant, nasal quality to his voice and it's a bit high-pitched as well.

For PBP, I like listening to our very own @Kent Pavelka and Greg Sharpe. I miss Andy Markowski because I think his knowledge of the game as a color guy was superb. I think Matt and Kent had a good rapport that made their banter fun to listen to.

We've been really lucky in this small market because we've had some REALLY good local radio guys who can kind of spoil you when someone not quite up to par comes along.

I don't mean to hammer him, but John Bishop was one who always rubbed me the wrong way. He tried too hard to be funny. That or maybe he just wasn't nearly as funny or clever as he thought he was.  I'm glad he's PBP for Creighton and not Nebraska. If Kent ever retires, I hope Bishop doesn't seek the job because I wouldn't be able to listen. It would ruin the experience for me.

I think Greg Sharpe has a great radio voice, but there's a guy who's on with him sometimes (and forgive me because I don't listen enough to know the names) who kinda has an unpleasant, nasal quality to his voice and it's a bit high-pitched as well.

For PBP, I like listening to our very own [mention=1002]Kent Pavelka[/mention] and Greg Sharpe. I miss Andy Markowski because I think his knowledge of the game as a color guy was superb. I think Matt and Kent had a good rapport that made their banter fun to listen to.

We've been really lucky in this small market because we've had some REALLY good local radio guys who can kind of spoil you when someone not quite up to par comes along.
Are you thinking of Ben McLaughlin or Matt Davison.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

They have an app with a live stream and, if you prefer, they also post each segment/chunk from each show each day. You can also listen live online.
I have listened to them at home on the computer. And at work when our in the field unless I'm on top of a hill on 136 I don't get internet or phone service. At present I am on a hill.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Parker Cyza On 93.7 in Lincoln really doesn’t say anything worth jack and usually just says “yeah” and “uh huh” in response to anything that’s said. Dudes got an annoying voice as well. Feel bad for Tom Stephens he’s been through a bunch of co hosts and this might be the worst one he’s been dealt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish I could upvote this more than once

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

For PBP, I like listening to our very own [mention=1002]Kent Pavelka[/mention] and Greg Sharpe. I miss Andy Markowski because I think his knowledge of the game as a color guy was superb. I think Matt and Kent had a good rapport that made their banter fun to listen to.

John Bishop SUCKS. Makes it impossible Unsportsmanlike Conduct conduct. His play by play voice is even worse because it’s mostly screaming

Davison is one I really can't stand. He sounds like he swallowed a dozen sheets of sandpaper, and he whines far too often for my taste.

Kent is awesome!  There is just so much joy in what he brings to broadcasts.

I like Greg Sharpe pretty well (though I think I liked listening to him more when he was in Manhattan [but their color guy is worse than Davison], but I'm not sure why).

I always liked Jim Rose, and I know I'm in the minority there.

John Baylor is one I like a lot as well.

As for sports talk guys, I don't really know.  I spend too much time listening to podcasts in the car anymore.

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Ditto.