Open-ended football poll

Norm Peterson

This year, someone is going to emerge as a star who might take fans by surprise. Someone who wasn't a star last year will find his groove and become a playmaker.  Who's it going to be?  Name one on both sides of the ball.

* Emerging stars are people who weren't stars before, so anyone who received any kind of post-season accolade last year doesn't qualify. And those guys would be Adrian Martinez, Brenden Jaimes, JD Spielman, Mo Barry, DiCaprio Bootle, and Carlos Davis. The exception, I suppose, would be if you think someone who was maybe no more than honorable mention all-conference a year ago is going to step up and be either 1st or 2nd team all-conference this year. Adrian Martinez still doesn't count because we already know he's a star.

This year, someone is going to emerge as a star who might take fans by surprise. Someone who wasn't a star last year will find his groove and become a playmaker.  Who's it going to be?  Name one on both sides of the ball.

* Emerging stars are people who weren't stars before, so anyone who received any kind of post-season accolade last year doesn't qualify. And those guys would be Adrian Martinez, Brenden Jaimes, JD Spielman, Mo Barry, DiCaprio Bootle, and Carlos Davis. The exception, I suppose, would be if you think someone who was maybe no more than honorable mention all-conference a year ago is going to step up and be either 1st or 2nd team all-conference this year. Adrian Martinez still doesn't count because we already know he's a star.
Cade Warner & JoJo doman. I dont know if l spelled his name right.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Cade Warner & JoJo doman. I dont know if l spelled his name right.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I know who you meant. 😉

Reading tea leaves from the staff, I think the best bets on the offensive side are (drumroll) Wandale Robinson and Dedrick Mills. (OK, no drama in those picks.)

Defensively, I think it's going to be Lamar Jackson. That doesn't violate my exception because he wasn't All Big 10 last year even though he was a starter.  But here's why I think he takes a jump. And it's not going to be because he suddenly "gets it."  It's going to be because he's already a good player and I anticipate a broad-based improvement on the DL.  We have vastly improved depth up front and, while I don't think any single individual DL is going to suddenly become a super star, the increased push and QB pressure is going to mean our secondary won't have to cover as long and they're just going to look better.

So, yeah, I'm saying Lamar Jackson is  going to look like a stud more because of improvements in the overall DL play than improvements in his own play. But, to be fair, if you check out some of the stuff I've posted from PFF College, he's already among the top 3  returning corners in the B1G for forced incompletion rate, behind our own DiCaprio Bootle and the Okudah kid from Ohio State. And if the DL can amp up pressure on throwing QBs, which I think they can, then our corners will be the beneficiaries, and that includes Lamar.