Way to change the end of the game

kldm64

Here is an that actually has a very interesting way to change the end of the game so it would be more exciting.  Right now, the last 2 minutes of a game last forever and just feel like a free throw shooting contest.  This might fix the way the end of a game is played.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/08/10/whicker-is-it-time-for-elam-ending-to-fix-basketball/

That is a good point Blindcheck.  I liked watching this in that million dollar tourney.  I get the old school method of the current way as well.  To me this is more fun to watch than fouls and free throws.  You would miss out on buzzer beaters but you would still have game winning daggers through the heart.  It is fascinating when both teams need three, do they take bad threes or easy two?

Edited by royalfan

Interesting to think how many games would result in different outcomes if the Elam ending were in affect. It would certainly change some teams' strategies. I'm not against the Elam ending, I just REALLY liked beating Iowa on Senior Day last year and wouldn't have wanted that to be any different that it was! 😉

On 8/12/2019 at 9:29 AM, kldm64 said:

Here is an that actually has a very interesting way to change the end of the game so it would be more exciting.  Right now, the last 2 minutes of a game last forever and just feel like a free throw shooting contest.  This might fix the way the end of a game is played.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/08/10/whicker-is-it-time-for-elam-ending-to-fix-basketball/

After reading through this, I remember hearing about it briefly...but with a more detailed pan here presented, I'm 100% IN on this 21-style no clock at end of games rule set. We all know the agony. Plus, maybe this keeps people from leaving early as much? Theres a better chance without a foul chess game that even with a 5 point deficit, you have a SHOT. Less of a shot if the lead is 15, but much better nonetheless. Let's get the ncaa working on this!!

tv loves the current set up. using all the time outs and game stoppages means more ads. I read Zirin do an article on that several years ago and he calculated that the ad time during college basketball games went up about 25-30 percent, which over time is millions of dollars for large regional or national productions. 

game stoppages are an advertisers best friend, which is why so many sports have so many more of them these days. 

On 8/13/2019 at 8:31 PM, Navin R. Johnson said:

How about the shot clock goes to 12 seconds at the 4 minute mark so teams have to play at break neck speed at the end. Would eliminate a lot of the fouling at the end and you really could not stall.

Like this better but maybe 15 seconds on clock.

I actually hate the double bonus...I wish all fouls after the bonus were 1 and 1...this might lead to more fouls in the final minutes, but back when this was the rule, Nebraska had some great comebacks against Kansas and Missouri as the pressure begins to mount when teams start missing charity shots....