France in U18 FIBA European Championships

12 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Help me understand: a 12th rated Rivals kid and a B1G recruit on the same team are in a tight game against Wisconsin’s JV team?  How can this be?

Good players don't necessarily make a good team but this French team was in control of the game the entire time and if they lost they would still be first in their group. Diabate might be some highly rated kid in the US because he jumps out of the gym but he didn't start the first game for France.  Otherwise...how did we ever lose to Incarnate Word? 

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Good players don't necessarily make a good team but this French team was in control of the game the entire time and if they lost they would still be first in their group. Diabate might be some highly rated kid in the US because he jumps out of the gym but he didn't start the first game for France.  Otherwise...how did we ever lose to Incarnate Word? 

Didn't we lose to something call Maryland Eastern shore for left-handed pottery makers of south Latin America one year too?

Spain, the other undefeated team in group play, is railing the Wisconsin JV team by 40 points today. They appear to be the obvious favorite to win this thing.  Being on the other side of the bracket they'd only face off vs France in the championship or 3rd place game.

Draogo struggling and so is France.

Big D got pulled after 3 minutes on the court after hedging on a guy up top and his man beating him with an open look from 3 (It was the 2nd time in a row a guy had scored on him)

In the 2nd quarter he came in and picked up a few cheap fouls and got autobenched. He has 4:20 minutes of play with a rebound and 2 fouls.

France has been doing their typical pressure defense thing and Croatia has been burning them enough. 28-26 Croatia at the half. France probably figures this out at some point.

2nd half starting soon.

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Good to see someone else is along for this hard to watch ride.

Draogo sets a liberté moving screen that every B1G ref could feel to free up a teammate. France up 3 with :33 to go.

Can I change my designation of the Wisconsin JV squad to Croatia? Seems more apt, even down to the uniform color. Oh, and this is infinitely better than any Delaware State game.

Edited by jayschool

France pulls it out and because they're French they score on a breakaway dunk to run up the score at the end. 62-53

They play Turkey tomorrow at 8:45

Draogo

Q1 6:04 to 4:21

Q2 6:33 to 3:55

Q3 1:08 to Q4 0:15

0 pts on 0-1 shooting, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 fouls

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

France pulls it out and because they're French they score on a breakaway dunk to run up the score at the end. 62-53

They play Turkey tomorrow at 8:45

Draogo

Q1 6:04 to 4:21

Q2 6:33 to 3:55

Q3 1:08 to Q4 0:15

0 pts on 0-1 shooting, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 fouls

So is it safe to say we should cool the breaks on Ouedraogo a little bit?

Scoreless in three of four games so far. Maybe he starts just bc of his sheer size but i definitely dont see him playing more than 15-18 a game. Maybe still a little too early to tell.

20 minutes ago, khoock said:

So is it safe to say we should cool the breaks on Ouedraogo a little bit?

Scoreless in three of four games so far. Maybe he starts just bc of his sheer size but i definitely dont see him playing more than 15-18 a game. Maybe still a little too early to tell.

I suppose that depends on what you're expecting. If you're expecting him to come in and be a threat to be a double/double that seems doubtful this year and maybe ever.

To me he's playing a similar role on that French team that he would here where he's an afterthought on offense but does have some posts moves and isn't afraid to shoot. What I would worry about is the defensive end.  He's no threat to block a shot.  Perhaps that will be mitigated by Doc's defense of packing the lane but he's not really stopping anyone who gets into the paint.  Is he a poor rebounder or is he deferring to the better rebounders on this French team? Seems more like the former as he doesn't win a lot of one-on-one battles.  He has a big body, seems to have a good basketball IQ, seems to play hard, and still super young. If we're lucky he's an under the rim Leslee Smith without the injuries.  To me he seems like our backup center who plays 10-15 minutes a game and hopefully he grows skills-wise to make up for his lack of explosiveness.

I think if he had been practicing with the rest of the team in front of Rothstein that Jon wouldn't have listed him as a starter though I could be very wrong about all of this.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Good to see someone else is along for this hard to watch ride.

Draogo sets a liberté moving screen that every B1G ref could feel to free up a teammate. France up 3 with :33 to go.

Couldn’t be as bad as some of the stuff @HuskerFever and I endured during the bubble watch a couple years ago.  

55 minutes ago, hskr4life said:
1 hour ago, royalfan said:

Couldn’t be as bad as some of the stuff @HuskerFever and I endured during the bubble watch a couple years ago.  

You know... deep down inside... you guys loved watching MVSU trying to win their like 5th game... 😂

And I'm pretty sure Delaware State went on a 1-game winning streak at one point in the season...