Media getting access to practice today

5 minutes ago, khoock said:

Any thoughts to add on Akol or Matej?@noahjb24

Both guys fit in, Akol is fun to see since he's from around here. I thought his shot actually looked good and he is super athletic, him just figuring out which position to play and getting more skilled will be huge. He blocked Samari off the backboard to win a scrimmage drill and everyone went nuts, a lot of fun.

Matej has a pure stroke, will be a good guy to have just to keep the ball moving and hit some shots for us.

2 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

Practice thoughts:

1) Dachon looked like the best player on the team as of now. So stinkin' quick and hard to guard/or have him guard you. Jervay, Haanif, and Derrick Walker impressed me as well and Samari and Thor fit right in. 

2) We are about to experience an offensive efficiency and movement we've never seen here before. The way the ball flies around with constant cuts and screens and movement is really a joy to watch. The whole time we were there we only saw 1 mid range jumper, the rest were threes and layups/dunks.

3) Cam and Dalano weren't practicing today.

4) Kevin has some skill, just really needs to get in shape. 

5) Shamiel did not impress me as much as I thought he would, seemed too have a bit of an attitude. 

6) Doc is the man

When Cam is out, who plays point?

37 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

When Cam is out, who plays point?

Today in practice when they were running through sets it was a bit of a "by committee" it looked like. Jervay, Dachon, Samari, and Haanif all took turns doing it. At the end of practice one team had Jervay running point and Dachon at the 2, and one had Samari at point and Haanif at 2.

Im not sure how college basketball practices are ran, especially in season, but I really like the depth we have with 16 players on the roster. 

In past years we would go through a season with 2-3 less players to practice with (one less walkon and 1-2 less scholarship players) which I feel made us less competitive and dare I say a little soft. Hypothetically we can throw out a scout team of lets say... Dalano Banton, Charlie Easley, Thorir Thorbjarnarson, Akol Arop, and Derrick Walker. And we still have our two other walkons (Jace Piatkowski and Bret Porter) for practice plus the starting 5 and four rotational guys.

Its gonna be ultra competitive for starting spots and bench roles. If youre not bringing it today we got plenty of other players to sub in for scrimmages and drills. It will only bring out the best in everyone.

14 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Cam Mack is in the hospital right now, by the way. Sounds like a bad case of food poisoning. Hopefully he recovers in time to go to Italy with the team.

Are you frickin serious? Why the hell couldn't he get food poisoning a month ago when he hadn't rec'd his Associates yet?

Did he go out and celebrate the graduation by downing some raw chicken?

Damn. We need him getting reps, my dudes.

3 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

I agree Norm, but I sure will take this over the string of bad luck which has run uninterrupted for decades. I trust he will recover and come out extra committed. But yes, we sure need him now being the only true lead guard on scholarship.

Sounds like this is just more of that string of bad luck that has run uninterrupted for decades.  

7 hours ago, colhusker said:

Sounds like this is just more of that string of bad luck that has run uninterrupted for decades.  

Speaking of things running uninterrupted, how do you suppose Cam's diarrhea's doing today?

Speaking of diarrhea, I took a class on scientific greek and latin in college. You want to know the etymology of diarrhea?  Dia is from the greek root for "through." Rhea is from the greek root for "flow."  So diarrhea literally means through flow.

And now you have one semester of scientific greek and latin.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Speaking of things running uninterrupted, how do you suppose Cam's diarrhea's doing today?

Speaking of diarrhea, I took a class on scientific greek and latin in college. You want to know the etymology of diarrhea?  Dia is from the greek root for "through." Rhea is from the greek root for "flow."  So diarrhea literally means through flow.

That's real crappy, man.

😎

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

This. 

This is is the post I needed today. 

14 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

At UNL? That was a great class. And now everyone can understand why.