Media getting access to practice today

9 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Coach may be just being nice to Thor (though I doubt it).  Thor may be a system player.  If the system fits, he will react well and be a good contributor.  I am not sure he fit that well into the Miles system.  I guess time will tell.

There's so much movement in hoibergs system I could see it. One of the positives I know of Thor is he's a good passer and makes the right play. That alone is something that could get him on the floor for good stretches at a time

10 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Also on YouTube. the huskersonline crew have been pumping out the best huskers content which I've been drinking, koolaid style, for the past year and a half. 

Thx for the links! This is all exciting AF. Should be a decent team and one that enjoys their basketball. I wanna see a team that loves each other and has fun, and I think doc and the personalities we brought in will help with that a lot. Still a lot to see on. 

Some notes from Hoiberg's presser (my thoughts in parenthesis )

Trying to figure out the team...which guys are mentally tough when things go bad
had a lot of film sessions also trying to figure out which guys can apply that quickly
biggest thing to see is the competitive edge (who is going to break a scoring drought for this team?)
going to experiment a lot with lineups in Italy. Hoiberg just put in a new system/set yesterday (goes back to determining how fast his current team can pick up new systems)
Cam Mack can't practice until he finishes a class
Dachon is very talented and scoring focused (seems like Palmer 2.0) going through a slump. Work on is decision making to not force things "make the simple play"...ie make the pass when double teamed, don't drive through two guys. Always play hard
Samari Curtis can shoot from anywhere..seems like he makes poor shot selection but they go in. a guy who makes tough shots
Unprompted (thanks @uneblinstu)  mentioned Thor's ability to read defense with high basketball IQ
thinks the games against the Lithuanian pro team will be high level
Cheatham demonstrating leadership and communication (seems like a guy who will end games)

Mentions Kavas' high basketball IQ

Dalano Banton with his size, length, passing ability, and athletic ability has all the potential in the world. (sounds like the focus will be on his shot)

Notes from Cheatham/Burke

Both laughed when the "4 point line" was brought up. (Nebraska has drawn a four point line on the court)

Both also had a similar reaction about being asked about Doc who "brings a lot of energy on the court"

Cheatham had shoulder surgery in December and feels condition-wise he's 100%

Dachon Burke on the physicality of B1G play: "In practice I give my five fouls; I give them aggressively. I tell them Big 10 basketball is big boy basketball."  He also notes he's learned to embrace game film in learning to better his game and learned a lot offensively/defensively going up against Palmer all the time....learned a lot of tricks.

Cheatham mentions Curtis' aggressiveness and energy when asked about other guys on the team

I didn't get to see any of the five-on-five work but Derek Peterson mentioned he saw Banton initiating offense with a group featuring Kavas and Stevenson as the frontcourt. Lot of versatility with this roster and we could end up seeing some odd lineups. Banton's got a lot of work to do with that jumper before he can be truly effective as an initiator though. 

3 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I didn't get to see any of the five-on-five work but Derek Peterson mentioned he saw Banton initiating offense with a group featuring Kavas and Stevenson as the frontcourt. Lot of versatility with this roster and we could end up seeing some odd lineups. Banton's got a lot of work to do with that jumper before he can be truly effective as an initiator though. 

That's a lineup that will never happen.

13 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Hoiberg ran a poor shooting Royce White out there at point for a year.  Banton doesn't have his combination of mass and speed but if he happens to be the best distributor on the team seems like Hoiberg would roll him out at point at least part time regardless of whether or not he improves his outside during his redshirt year.

I dont remember seeing what happened with the Cam Mack situation.

I believe he and the coaches were suppose to know within 48 hours (from a week ago). Anybody heard anything?

Also, looking for opinions here, anybody think Charlie Easley might redshirt? I have heard  a lot of good things about him (from this ppl on this board). Is he a guy you want to stick around for 5 years and see if he develops? I know walkons dont typically redshirt, but if the staff sees potential maybe its worth it since hes not occupying a scholarship.

3 hours ago, khoock said:

Is he a guy you want to stick around for 5 years and see if he develops? I know walkons dont typically redshirt, but if the staff sees potential maybe its worth it since hes not occupying a scholarship.

I can't answer your question. But if he can swing tuition and he enjoys the grind of practice he might want to stay for 5 years. Think about it. If this goes where we all think this is going this kid could be on the team for the 5 best years (cumulative) we've ever seen. He'd be a walk-on legend 😎

16 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I can't answer your question. But if he can swing tuition and he enjoys the grind of practice he might want to stay for 5 years. Think about it. If this goes where we all think this is going this kid could be on the team for the 5 best years (cumulative) we've ever seen. He'd be a walk-on legend 😎

I think the problem the OWH has identified is that for every walk-on Charley Easley on the basketball team, you have to find a spot in intercollegiate athletics for a woman to participate. And, evidently, adding walk-on swimmers to the women's swim team or walk-on runners to the women's cross-country team is viewed by some as trying to circumvent the rules. So you might not see 5 years of Charlie Easley. Because his presence on the hoops squad basically either takes away a walk-on spot from the football team or forces the athletic department to find another spot for someone on the female side of the ledger.

And I'm saying this in as non-political, purely objective of a manner as I can muster, so don't read anything extra into it.

35 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think the problem the OWH has identified is that for every walk-on Charley Easley on the basketball team, you have to find a spot in intercollegiate athletics for a woman to participate. And, evidently, adding walk-on swimmers to the women's swim team or walk-on runners to the women's cross-country team is viewed by some as trying to circumvent the rules. So you might not see 5 years of Charlie Easley. Because his presence on the hoops squad basically either takes away a walk-on spot from the football team or forces the athletic department to find another spot for someone on the female side of the ledger.

And I'm saying this in as non-political, purely objective of a manner as I can muster, so don't read anything extra into it.

Oh I agree the likelyhood of him staying 5 years is slim and none. But I don't think the reason being would be because the walkon numbers as a whole would be the reason. It's my thinking if he would stay 5 years he wouldn't be taking a spot from any other program other than a different walkon spot from the basketball team. And I don't recall there never not being a walkon on the basketball team. So grind away young man. Become the walkon legend you were born to be 😃

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Great points, Norm.

I will get political for a moment, though.

I'm not going to cry about lost opportunities for male athletes when Division I football programs hand out 85 scholarships and have another 15 to 65 walk-ons on the roster. Nebraska, like most other schools in the top tier of college football, can't afford to NOT play football with as many bodies as possible, but I always get a little rankled when people blame the loss of athletic opportunities for men on women's sports. 

I'd be in favor of a system first proposed by Rick Telander back in the late 1980s in his book "The  Hundred-Yard Lie":

• First, separate the top tier of football (Power 5 or 6) from the NCAA by making it a development system for the NFL, call it the NFL D-League.
    • There would still be a team called the "Nebraska Cornhuskers" that plays on Saturday at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln against teams from the Big Ten, including the "Iowa Hawkeyes," the "Minnesota Gophers," etc. Each university would be considered a "host" and a "sponsor."
    • The players get paid a living wage based on the market they're playing in. Someone in Lincoln might make $100K, but someone in Los Angeles might make $150K or more. Someone in Manhattan, Kansas would get $38.46.
    • All players would receive a voucher to attend classes and earn a degree, whether they do so while playing football at the university or after their playing days end.
    • You could even go so far as to assign each of the 65 to 80 NFL D-League Teams to an NFL club. So the Chiefs could have KU and Mizzou as its D-League teams.
    • The NFL could also hold a post-college draft to get players from smaller programs that aren't a part of the D-League.
  • Second, get the NFL to "hold harmless" every university by making up the difference in what they'd lose financially.
    • Some schools already lose money on their football programs, so the school would now have that burden off their books.
    • In 2016-2017, Nebraska football made $120.2 million and spent $112.6 million, so Nebraska would be owed at least $7.6 million that would then be paid by the NFL to the athletic department.
    • That payout could vary depending on negotiations between each school and the NFL and what each school feels it needs to make the athletic department whole. That would include royalties on merchandising and other ancillary revenue streams attached to the football program.
  • Third, begin to right-size every major athletic department with true Title IX balance in mind.
    • 15 basketball scholarships for both men and women.
    • 15-20 baseball scholarships and 15-20 softball scholarships.
    • Equal numbers between men and women for track and field, swimming, gymnastics and other non-gender specific sports, including a new men's soccer program at UNL.
    • Add other men's sports where appropriate if a women's sport already exists.
    • Find roughly equal scholarship numbers in sports where only one gender fields a team: volleyball and wrestling, for example.
Edited by jayschool

34 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Great points, Norm.

I'm not going to cry about lost opportunities for male athletes when Division I football programs hand out 85 scholarships and have another 15 to 65 walk-ons on the roster. Nebraska, like most other schools in the top tier of college football, can't afford to NOT play football with as many bodies as possible, but I always get a little rankled when people blame the loss of athletic opportunities for men on women's sports. 

I'd be in favor of a system first proposed by Rick Telander back in the late 1980s in his book "The  Hundred-Yard Lie":

• First, separate the top tier of football (Power 5 or 6) from the NCAA by making it a development system for the NFL, call it the NFL D-League.
    • There would still be a team called the "Nebraska Cornhuskers" that plays on Saturday at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln against teams from the Big Ten, including the "Iowa Hawkeyes," the "Minnesota Gophers," etc. Each university would be considered a "host" and a "sponsor."
    • The players get paid a living wage based on the market they're playing in. Someone in Lincoln might make $100K, but someone in Los Angeles might make $150K or more. Someone in Manhattan, Kansas would get $38.46.
    • All players would receive a voucher to attend classes and earn a degree, whether they do so while playing football at the university or after their playing days end.
    • You could even go so far as to assign each of the 65 to 80 NFL D-League Teams to an NFL club. So the Chiefs could have KU and Mizzou as its D-League teams.
    • The NFL could also hold a post-college draft to get players from smaller programs that aren't a part of the D-League.
  • Second, get the NFL to "hold harmless" every university by making up the difference in what they'd lose financially.
    • Some schools already lose money on their football programs, so the school would now have that burden off their books.
    • In 2016-2017, Nebraska football made $120.2 million and spent $112.6 million, so Nebraska would be owed at least $7.6 million that would then be paid by the NFL to the athletic department.
    • That payout could vary depending on negotiations between each school and the NFL and what each school feels it needs to make the athletic department whole. That would include royalties on merchandising and other ancillary revenue streams attached to the football program.
  • Third, begin to right-size every major athletic department with true Title IX balance in mind.
    • Equal numbers between men and women for track and field, swimming, gymnastics and other non-gender specific sports, including a new men's soccer program at UNL.
    • Find roughly equal scholarship numbers in sports where only one gender fields a team: volleyball and wrestling, for example.

Interesting, well thought out idea.

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

Great points, Norm.

If you're going to do that, why not just make both revenue sports (football and men's hoops) minor league farm systems for their respective sports, get rid of athletic scholarships altogether, and just have club sports and/or intramurals for everything else?

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If you're going to do that, why not just make both revenue sports (football and men's hoops) minor league farm systems for their respective sports, get rid of athletic scholarships altogether, and just have club sports and/or intramurals for everything else?

Because I think there's value in an athletic scholarship, whether it makes the university money or not. My undergraduate education at UNL was paid for by merit scholarships and a Regents Scholarship, but I didn't bring that back in value to the university in dollars. God knows I haven't donated enough back to UNL since my 1984 graduation.

Football is the outlier in this because of the size of the squads. There is no other analogous program on either side of the gender dividing line.

That written, the idea of a less corrupt college basketball system is obtainable, but it wouldn't require the same sort of machinations as creating a more transparent college football system. The answer to that in college basketball would be to simply have basketball adopt a similar system to either hockey or baseball — amateur draft of college and high school players, and free-agent scouting and signings of foreign players, all of which results in a bunch of basketball being played at different levels by players who mature at different times, play in different systems, etc. Some players may enter professional basketball immediately upon leaving high school, while others choose to attend college for at least a couple of years.

6 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Practice thoughts:

2) We are about to experience an offensive efficiency and movement we've never seen here before. The way the ball flies around with constant cuts and screens and movement is really a joy to watch. The whole time we were there we only saw 1 mid range jumper, the rest were threes and layups/dunks.

Well at least since some of Danny Nee's very good teams.  Not saying they won't be better, but there was a day we could score in bunches.

And thanks for the update Noah, very much appreciated from someone who will not be able to see the team until the first game on TV.

Edited by colhusker