Media getting access to practice today

10 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Dalano's a baller. Interesting to read the "don't sleep on Thor" comment at the end. I like the notion that Thor can develop into a B1G contributor for Hoiberg & Co.

I see Thor as a fill in player for blow outs, injuries, and fouls. But my hope is that with all the competition in practice and the staffs coaching/development it wont be a "omg we have to play Thor for extended minutes we're screwed" type of deal.

Here's the presser with haanif, dachon, and Fred after the fact. 

Dachon and Haanif both mentioned Samari as someone who stood out. 

Fred mentioned Dachon as a guy who's impressed, Banton has world's of potential, mentioned Thor is adjusting very well to his read and react system, and they can't really communicate on the court yet. Which is kinda expected. First couple practices. 

51 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Anyone find it weird we aren't hearing anything about Jervay? I would've thought he would be one of our top 2-3 players if not our best considering the hype.

No. Someone (cant remember who) posted stats from the top 10-15 JUCO players the past couple years. And most of them put up very modest stats their first year of D1. Im sure its an adjustment for him.

26 minutes ago, khoock said:

No. Someone (cant remember who) posted stats from the top 10-15 JUCO players the past couple years. And most of them put up very modest stats their first year of D1. Im sure its an adjustment for him.

Agreed.  The jump from Juco to major college basketball must be a big one.  The most successful Jucos I’ve seen had their success in year two, after struggling in year one.

Here are the mentions of every player from what I have seen so far:

- Haanif Cheatham: great leader 

- Matej Kavas: high basketball IQ

- Jervay Green: N/A

- Dachon Burke: scorers mentality; great effort

- Derrick Walker: physical specimen

- Shamiel Stevenson: most athletic looking player; best rebounder

- Thorir Thorbjarnarson: fits nicely into new "read and react" system

- Cam Mack: with team but not practicing at the moment

- Dalano Banton: unique body type and skill set

- Akol Arop: N/A

- Samari Curtis: can shoot it from anywhere including close to 50% from three so far in practice

- Kevin Cross: appears closer to 6'6 than 6'8; smooth with the ball

Yvan Ouedraogo: not currently with the team

- Charlie Easley, Brett Porter, Jace Piatkowski: N/A

Nice-looking jumpers: Kevin Cross; Shamiel Stevenson; Jervay Green

Ugly-ass jumpers: Samari Curtis; Dalano Banton

*Non-exhaustive list. This is just from the above video. There might be more ugly-ass jumpers on the team (although let's hope not because them are painful to watch.)

Edited by Norm Peterson

Once Yvan gets added to this team we'll have a better idea of how everything looks. Nonetheless they mentioned a Stevenson/Kavas frontcourt lineup at times. Cross I read just needs to reshape himself physically. Arop might be interesting if he can play some good defense out the gate. 

Guards there are plenty of. The front court and what lineups they use will be the most interesting part of everything to me. Hopefully Stevenson can play out the gate. Kavas is bigger than advertised it seems. Overall intrigued by the frontcourt