Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cipsucks

A Contest to tide you over for the next few weeks

Recommended Posts

A close second would be Luca Stricagnoli's newest cover: Eminem's "Slim Shady."  Can you tell that I'm an acoustic guitarist?  This one might be an example of recency bias though.  But it's so good!

 

 

Edited by aphilso1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Just for squirts and giggles, I googled the best covers of all time.  Some of you should be ashamed...  😉

I don't know who your source for the list was, but the beauty of music is the subjectivity leading to such a great variety. I stick by my John Lee Hooker but if you want to go with a more popular/mainstream choice then I would go with Little Help from My Friends originally the Beatles and covered by Joe Cocker.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dean Smith said:

I don't know who your source for the list was, but the beauty of music is the subjectivity leading to such a great variety. I stick by my John Lee Hooker but if you want to go with a more popular/mainstream choice then I would go with Little Help from My Friends originally the Beatles and covered by Joe Cocker.

 

 

Your choices are solid, as are everyone's.  I just got a kick out of the list I googled, several people here used the exact same videos that were on the list.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's the technological world we live in.  I'm just stuck in the 70's...(happily so).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Your choices are solid, as are everyone's.  I just got a kick out of the list I googled, several people here used the exact same videos that were on the list.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's the technological world we live in.  I'm just stuck in the 70's...(happily so).

I understand what you're saying now or at least what you’re  implying. Some people want to win your contest so bad they are willing to Google to get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dean Smith said:

I understand what you're saying now or at least what you’re  implying. Some people want to win your contest so bad they are willing to Google to get it. 

 

I wouldn't be surprised if mine showed up on that list. It's the first thing that came to mind for me on solid covers. The other one in my head was "Hey Ya!" by Obadiah Parker (cover of OutKast) which isn't as mainstream. I suppose this one might still be on the list as well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cipsucks said:

Just for squirts and giggles, I googled the best covers of all time.  Some of you should be ashamed...  😉

 

I just assumed googling it was cheating, so I didn't bother.  But now that you brought it up...game ON!  😆

 

Original song:

The Beatles - With A Little Help From My Friends (1967)

 

 

Totally kick ass remake:

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends (1969)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I Shot the Sheriff"            Original: Bob Marley        Cover: Eric Clapton   I know this is sacrilege, but I prefer Old Slowhand's version.  Since I don't have the skills to put this into the reply, you'll just have to YouTube the versions yourselves.  Have a safe Fourth, everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Original song:

Strawberry Letter 23 - Shuggie Otis (1971)

 

 

Totally kick ass remake:

Strawberry Letter 23 - The Brothers Johnson (1977)

 

 

 

(I'll freely admit I actually prefer the Shugie Otis version personally; but the remake by The Brothers Johnson was, I believe, more popular.  Not sure if that really qualifies as being kick ass or not)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

"I Shot the Sheriff"            Original: Bob Marley        Cover: Eric Clapton   I know this is sacrilege, but I prefer Old Slowhand's version.  Since I don't have the skills to put this into the reply, you'll just have to YouTube the versions yourselves.  Have a safe Fourth, everyone.

 

For you, jimmy!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cipsucks said:

Your choices are solid, as are everyone's.  I just got a kick out of the list I googled, several people here used the exact same videos that were on the list.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's the technological world we live in.  I'm just stuck in the 70's...(happily so).

I think I have one or two from that list (I’m assuming we are looking at the same one), but I simply went with the first YouTube link that came up. I posted before looking at the list. 

 

Not it that it matters. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 49r said:

 

I just assumed googling it was cheating, so I didn't bother.  But now that you brought it up...game ON!  😆

 

Original song:

The Beatles - With A Little Help From My Friends (1967)

 

 

Totally kick ass remake:

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends (1969)

 

Sorry, I called dibs on this one further up in the thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 6:25 PM, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

"Old Town Road"

Subpar Original: Lil Nas X

Kickass Remake: KIDZ BOP

 

3 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Just for squirts and giggles, I googled the best covers of all time.  Some of you should be ashamed...  😉

 

Fine. I admit it. I googled "best covers of all time" and posted the consensus "kickass remake" the various lists agreed upon. No ragrets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...