Opening Night Scrimmage

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

If this year's team plays well, they'll be as good as last year's disappointment.  How that shakes out in W/L, who knows?  But at least it will look like an identity we can build on and recruit to.  

We won 19 last year and probably should have won 25.

I'd say if we won 16-18 that's considered a success this year. Anything above that gets the mayor a lifetime contract. Ha

7 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

We won 19 last year and probably should have won 25.

I'd say if we won 16-18 that's considered a success this year. Anything above that gets the mayor a lifetime contract. Ha

Agree with all of this.  I think the win column will be a similar result.  Or, at least, the RPI, which is probably what we should be talking about.  

I think Fred's system is going to be a sometimes deadly advantage at PBA and likely get us run out of a few games where we go cold/get tired on the road.  The pace is going to look like the old Danny Nee teams.  If you look at his second year at ISU, that roster is probably a bit better than what he's working with this season.  The first season he had at ISU was an absolute miracle to go .500 since basically his entire roster had to sit out due to transfer rules and the rest of them from the year prior left.  Our team is a lot more talented than his .500 ISU squad was.  I'd be slightly surprised if we aren't in the tournament after next season given our transfers on the bench and whatever recruiting miracles he'll likely pull off during this season.  

16 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Roby, Copeland, Palmer we’re without a doubt big ten bodies. You’re flat out wrong if you disagree with that.

Watson had serious big 10 experience.

Borchart would start on this years team. 

I was referring to in the paint as my response was to Dean who was referring to size when talking about Big 10 bodies, at least in my view.   This team has several big ten bodies if talking about the entire team.  More than last year.  Hopefully they don't get worse at shooting the ball during their time here.  Perhaps they even improve their strokes.  

Edited by royalfan

• 1 year later...
On 9/28/2019 at 4:24 PM, basketballjones said:

Was at the scrimmage last night. I just want to be crystal, crystal clear here: I’M NOT SAYING WE’VE BEEN SOLD A LEMON OR THAT WE SUCK OR THAT HOIBERG SUCKS OR THAT MILES NEEDS TO BE BACK OR THAT OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF.... but.... if I were you, reader of this post, I’d slightly temper and adjust my expectations for THIS SEASON. Here’s just a few thoughts:

-Higher chance we have a rough year this year than a good year. Lots of skinny dudes, with almost no bigs. B1G not gonna be fun this year.

-Yvan is not ready. Closer to 6’7” than he is 6’9”. Huge build (and a huge head, so he’s always going to perplex this board in regards to his “true” height), very strong, but was working against fellow, 6’7”, freshman Kevin Cross. I don’t think we lucked into our own secret Giannis, but he’ll be a serviceable banger if he sticks around. 

-Mack is as advertised. Not sure he can shoot from outside. Shot from deep does not look natural or rhythmic. But boy can he slash the paint, finish, and find dudes. I’d describe him as a “violent” driver. 

-History says Jervay Green will struggle this year (JUCO shooter/scorers in their first year of D1), and I imagine he’ll prove that trend correct. He’ll show flashes of brilliance from time to time and probably have a very good senior year next year. 

-Is Stevenson eligible? Because if he isn’t I’m not sure who will get a rebound.

-Kavas (sp?) and Cheatman (sp?) are really nice, experienced senior plays that I wish many of our previous teams had on them. Not superstars by any means, but complete basketball players (for what they do), that will be very serviceable. 

-Burke is a sprinter with the ball in his hands. Nice guy to have with Mack. Not sure if he can shoot, but he’s a hard working, athletic, aggressive player. 

-(gonna sneak this in here) Last years healthy top 6 beats whoever this years top 6 is pretty handily. There’s no Robys, Copelands, or Palmers out there. Miles shouldn’t be allowed to coach again after squandering our opportunity last year. I didn’t say that. I don’t mean that. I’m sorry Tim I still love you. 

-This years team will have a lot more serviceable, decent players that can just play ball than we’ve had in years past. Problem is we don’t have a definitive 1-5 and will be missing some serious size and girth (my wife agrees hey-o). 

-Banton (sp?) can literally be as good as he wants to be. If intangibles are there, all-big ten will be there. 

@hhcmattI feel like you're stalking me.