Opening Night Scrimmage

Was at the scrimmage last night. I just want to be crystal, crystal clear here: I’M NOT SAYING WE’VE BEEN SOLD A LEMON OR THAT WE SUCK OR THAT HOIBERG SUCKS OR THAT MILES NEEDS TO BE BACK OR THAT OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF.... but.... if I were you, reader of this post, I’d slightly temper and adjust my expectations for THIS SEASON. Here’s just a few thoughts:

-Higher chance we have a rough year this year than a good year. Lots of skinny dudes, with almost no bigs. B1G not gonna be fun this year.

-Yvan is not ready. Closer to 6’7” than he is 6’9”. Huge build (and a huge head, so he’s always going to perplex this board in regards to his “true” height), very strong, but was working against fellow, 6’7”, freshman Kevin Cross. I don’t think we lucked into our own secret Giannis, but he’ll be a serviceable banger if he sticks around. 

-Mack is as advertised. Not sure he can shoot from outside. Shot from deep does not look natural or rhythmic. But boy can he slash the paint, finish, and find dudes. I’d describe him as a “violent” driver. 

-History says Jervay Green will struggle this year (JUCO shooter/scorers in their first year of D1), and I imagine he’ll prove that trend correct. He’ll show flashes of brilliance from time to time and probably have a very good senior year next year. 

-Is Stevenson eligible? Because if he isn’t I’m not sure who will get a rebound.

-Kavas (sp?) and Cheatman (sp?) are really nice, experienced senior plays that I wish many of our previous teams had on them. Not superstars by any means, but complete basketball players (for what they do), that will be very serviceable. 

-Burke is a sprinter with the ball in his hands. Nice guy to have with Mack. Not sure if he can shoot, but he’s a hard working, athletic, aggressive player. 

-(gonna sneak this in here) Last years healthy top 6 beats whoever this years top 6 is pretty handily. There’s no Robys, Copelands, or Palmers out there. Miles shouldn’t be allowed to coach again after squandering our opportunity last year. I didn’t say that. I don’t mean that. I’m sorry Tim I still love you. 

-This years team will have a lot more serviceable, decent players that can just play ball than we’ve had in years past. Problem is we don’t have a definitive 1-5 and will be missing some serious size and girth (my wife agrees hey-o). 

-Banton (sp?) can literally be as good as he wants to be. If intangibles are there, all-big ten will be there. 

I didn't buy much stock into everything because it's a scrimmage obviously. It's FLASHED some skill sets more than anything I thought

-mack and Burke need to be together in the backcourt. Not sure if there's a backcourt who can keep up with them. You can see the natural speed in them right away with the ball in their hands. They need to spell each other so one of them is always on the court. Will be huge in my opinion

-i noticed it was mentioned, green will likely flash great scoring prowess this year, but few and far in-between. 

-i thought yvan was strong, constantly active and moving (big thing for me at the 5), but after him I it looks pretty bad. 

-Stevenson looked slow as others said, but I believe he was going through the motions. 

- I don't know if it means anything, but the ASSUMED starters (Burke, Mack, cheathem, and Yvan) had Thor with them on the "Red" team to start out. Just an observation. Could be nothing or something. 

-my girl loved banton and I really think he can be huge for us next year. Preferably he puts on some muscle but he looks so smooth and instincts are there. Just wonder if his motor is constant as others have stated. 

We'll struggle because of our bigs in the big ten. Our backcourt players can probably compete with everyone, but in the big ten it's a bigs conference. Unless Cross (who didn't look that bad. He just needs to reshape his body) can put on 30 lbs of muscle in *checks watch* a month it'll be rough down low. Had a great time and I love the potential of this team. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Was at the scrimmage last night. I just want to be crystal, crystal clear here: I’M NOT SAYING WE’VE BEEN SOLD A LEMON OR THAT WE SUCK OR THAT HOIBERG SUCKS OR THAT MILES NEEDS TO BE BACK OR THAT OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF.... but.... if I were you, reader of this post, I’d slightly temper and adjust my expectations for THIS SEASON. Here’s just a few thoughts:

-Higher chance we have a rough year this year than a good year. Lots of skinny dudes, with almost no bigs. B1G not gonna be fun this year.

-Yvan is not ready. Closer to 6’7” than he is 6’9”. Huge build (and a huge head, so he’s always going to perplex this board in regards to his “true” height), very strong, but was working against fellow, 6’7”, freshman Kevin Cross. I don’t think we lucked into our own secret Giannis, but he’ll be a serviceable banger if he sticks around. 

-Mack is as advertised. Not sure he can shoot from outside. Shot from deep does not look natural or rhythmic. But boy can he slash the paint, finish, and find dudes. I’d describe him as a “violent” driver. 

-History says Jervay Green will struggle this year (JUCO shooter/scorers in their first year of D1), and I imagine he’ll prove that trend correct. He’ll show flashes of brilliance from time to time and probably have a very good senior year next year. 

-Is Stevenson eligible? Because if he isn’t I’m not sure who will get a rebound.

-Kavas (sp?) and Cheatman (sp?) are really nice, experienced senior plays that I wish many of our previous teams had on them. Not superstars by any means, but complete basketball players (for what they do), that will be very serviceable. 

-Burke is a sprinter with the ball in his hands. Nice guy to have with Mack. Not sure if he can shoot, but he’s a hard working, athletic, aggressive player. 

-(gonna sneak this in here) Last years healthy top 6 beats whoever this years top 6 is pretty handily. There’s no Robys, Copelands, or Palmers out there. Miles shouldn’t be allowed to coach again after squandering our opportunity last year. I didn’t say that. I don’t mean that. I’m sorry Tim I still love you. 

-This years team will have a lot more serviceable, decent players that can just play ball than we’ve had in years past. Problem is we don’t have a definitive 1-5 and will be missing some serious size and girth (my wife agrees hey-o). 

-Banton (sp?) can literally be as good as he wants to be. If intangibles are there, all-big ten will be there. 

Well even if you are correct, there is a far better chance we will be decent than when Fred took this gig and had to replace nearly the entire roster as it was a complete mess.  It would be almost impossible to have a tremendous team, which I do think is in the realm of possibility.  I however, could not make it to the scrimmage.  

4 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Not what I needed to read after the first half of the Ohio State game.....<_<

I’m all for tempering expectations, especially for a team that has never played together.

But history says that little of prediction value can be drawn from a show-off scrimmage like this.

That being said, here are my two predictions: barring injury, this team will:

1.  be better at the end of the season than at the beginning; and

2.  make greater progress than other teams as they gel together.

I’m going to temper expectations but I’m not sure about last year vs this year result, it’s hard to tell based on one half hearted made for fans scrimmage...

There were reports that Burke and Palmer in practice last year went head to head and took turns getting the best of each other. 

So, Banton guards Roby, Yvan on Copeland, Burke on Palmer, Hannif on Tom Allen and Mack on Glynn...I don’t see this years team getting blown out, I actually think it’s a bit closer - and this years bench is deeper than last years, even our walkons are an upgrade. Still love Trueblood though. I do believe we are a deeper and faster team than last year, maybe not better...

5 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I’m going to temper expectations but I’m not sure about last year vs this year result, it’s hard to tell based on one half hearted made for fans scrimmage...

There were reports that Burke and Palmer in practice last year went head to head and took turns getting the best of each other. 

So, Banton guards Roby, Yvan on Copeland, Burke on Palmer, Hannif on Tom Allen and Mack on Glynn...I don’t see this years team getting blown out, I actually think it’s a bit closer - and this years bench is deeper than last years, even our walkons are an upgrade. Still love Trueblood though. I do believe we are a deeper and faster team than last year, maybe not better...

Only problem with your team is Banton isn't playing this year

9 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Banton isn’t eligible this year 

10 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Yvan on Copeland? Cope scores as many as he wants on that matchup. Last year’s team vs this year’s team at this time of the year? I don’t see that as close at all.

Call me a pessimist or a realist but my expectations for the year are not high. Maybe watching OSU play football has left me with a Husker hangover but we simply don’t have the Big 10 bodies. Our perimeter players were attacking the basket against almost no defense and had no one to meet them at the rim except our undersized bunch. Like always  we have the ability to steal one here or there (mostly here) but if we have a game where we shoot like we did in the scrimmage there is no one in conference we can even stay close. 

I think by being realistic you can get a pleasant surprise and you can skip the sky is falling fire Frost, bench Martinez stuff during basketball season.  

Edited by Dean Smith

Yuppers, I was excited because it is the start of something new and fresh.  My expectations going in was this was going to be an interesting year.  I left the scrimmage with a similar mindset.  I learned very little from the event.  The offense I saw was basic isolation plays.  Drive and dish and mostly one-on-one action.  I suppose we will see some of that during the season, but I expect a lot more polish and more discipline.  

Defensively...well I kept catching Doc cringing on the sideline.  Hey, it was a fan day, who wants to see defense...right?

Players were there to have fun and put on a show.  This had nothing to do with what Coach Fred said prior to the scrimmage said we should expect during the season.

So I guess my point is you cannot take too much from this event.  Takeaways could be:  fans are interested in this team; we lack size; the team seems to get along; Akol lost the bet and had to dance the Carlton; and finally Bobby Lutz may be called Special Assistant to the head coach, but he is definitely an active assistant coach.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I didn’t have big expectations for this team this year. I think a hair under .500 would be a good goal in conference play and nine wins in the nonconference schedule should be the goal. 

If we could get 17 or 18 wins (which would almost certainly put us in the NIT) you'd have to consider that a massive success I'd say.

25 minutes ago, 49r said:

If we could get 17 or 18 wins (which would almost certainly put us in the NIT) you'd have to consider that a massive success I'd say.

Agree there. If this teams ends the season over .500 we've done well.

If nothing else the pace should make things fun to watch, especially at the beginning.

8 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Yvan on Copeland? Cope scores as many as he wants on that matchup. Last year’s team vs this year’s team at this time of the year? I don’t see that as close at all.

Call me a pessimist or a realist but my expectations for the year are not high. Maybe watching OSU play football has left me with a Husker hangover but we simply don’t have the Big 10 bodies. Our perimeter players were attacking the basket against almost no defense and had no one to meet them at the rim except our undersized bunch. Like always  we have the ability to steal one here or there (mostly here) but if we have a game where we shoot like we did in the scrimmage there is no one in conference we can even stay close. 

I think by being realistic you can get a pleasant surprise and you can skip the sky is falling fire Frost, bench Martinez stuff during basketball season.  

We didn't have big 10 bodies last year either, or big 10 depth, or Big 10 XandO coaching.  

I think the trick to enjoying the season will be to savor the good games which we will have while tempering expectations to avoid the letdowns we experienced Saturday when we go up against truly elite teams. The number of victories we have will be secondary to the foundation we build for future success.

13 hours ago, royalfan said:

We didn't have big 10 bodies last year either, or big 10 depth, or Big 10 XandO coaching.  

Roby, Copeland, Palmer we’re without a doubt big ten bodies. You’re flat out wrong if you disagree with that.

Watson had serious big 10 experience.

Borchart would start on this years team. 

Our on-court coaching will be better this year.  We are also a lot deeper.  With Fred's frenetic pace, I think we have a shot to be decent with strong guard play.  

Last year's team was probably more talented, but they played like trash.

If this year's team plays well, they'll be as good as last year's disappointment.  How that shakes out in W/L, who knows?  But at least it will look like an identity we can build on and recruit to.