Opening Night Scrimmage

Quick takes:

Extremely quick backcourt with Burke and Mack.

You can see why they’re high on Blanton. Sneaky weak side rebounder. High IQ. Length and ball handling.

Yvan surprised me in a good way. Don’t ask him to shoot on the perimeter, but he’s strong and can get good position deep and score inside.

Shamiel looked very slow. 

Perimeter shooting left much much to be desired, but it’s an early scrimmage, so ...

Also, not a lot of D and a Buncha missed dunks.

I will say...it should be a fun team.  I am not going to comment much about individual play.  The players had a hard practice earlier today, and I am sure at this time of the season, legs were tired.  But there are good things seen from nearly all the players.  Some are more ready to play then others...again, not surprising at all.  A lot of three's were hoisted, most missed, some badly, but what the hey.

Good to see Isiah, and a number of other alumni players.  The stars sort of showed up which is kind of cool.  My innards are still reverberating from the hip-hop beat. 

Dalano Banton, Cam Mack, and Big Yvan seemed to perform like some B1G dudes. And I thought Cheatham and Stevenson made good contributions. Obviously the athletic Green & Burke will be shooting their shots. I really liked how aggressive those two were, especially taking it to the hoop. I would have appreciate some defensive resistance to better gauge the team's play. Overall, it was fun.

My takeaways- Banton is very long and skilled. Not sure of his motor but will never judge off of a fan catered scrimmage. Like Norm said, his length will help with rebounding and put backs.

Hannif has a 5th year seniors’ body/build which will serve him well in the Big ten.

Dachon Burke is going to put pressure on opposing defenses in transition, he’s very fast with the ball and a strong defender.

Cam Mack- as advertised. Our b-ball team’s version of Wandale Robinson. A game changer with his quickness and passing.

Samari impressed me and I think he will play this year. 

Stevenson is built like a linebacker or tight end, very solid, would love it if he turned into a version of Miles Bridges on the court. 

Kavas took plenty of 3’s and most rimmed out. Not athletic.

Kevin Cross  - he could use a year in SC but has good size and a wide bottom.

Derrick Walker- looked like a bruiser but not much else...

Jervay Green - looked ok, had a nice drive and dunk, looks taller than 6-3...

Also, took waaaaaaaaaaaay took much time to transition to Rocky Ross. Poor DJ had to play a ton filler music...

Overall, a Fun event! 

Okay, for those who were there I have a question. No one can learn much from an exhibition, but I would just like a first impression. Who was the biggest surprise (in skill, body type, demeanor, etc.)and who was the biggest disappointment (same criteria)? This question is not to put any player down or build anyone up because it depends upon what type of image the fan brought to the event based upon media hype and our brief glimpse of the Spain trip (in which all players were not even present. Just pick one player for each category.

1 minute ago, jimmykc said:

Okay, for those who were there I have a question. No one can learn much from an exhibition, but I would just like a first impression. Who was the biggest surprise (in skill, body type, demeanor, etc.)and who was the biggest disappointment (same criteria)? This question is not to put any player down or build anyone up because it depends upon what type of image the fan brought to the event based upon media hype and our brief glimpse of the Spain trip (in which all players were not even present. Just pick one player for each category.

I was ... struck ... by the way Yvan was sealing Kevin Cross down low and scoring over him. He's nowhere near a finished package, Yvan. But he has a lot of lower body strength and you don't move him; he moves you. And whoever said he's just 6'7 should probably revisit that. From what I could see, he has an inch or so on Dalano Banton.  The people who were pencilling him in as a starter were probably right. Having said that, he really would have benefited from being here all summer.

Thor was draining treys in warmups, by the way. And hit one or two during the scrimmage. Probably no one has benefited more from Hoiberg's coaching.

14 minutes ago, khoock said:

The basketball writers from both LJS and OWH said he looked closer to 6'7 than 6'9. One saying he was just a little taller than Shamiel Stevenson.

Hopefully you are right!

The kid is only 17. Guys that age sometimes seem to grow an inch or two overnight. I have a feeling he will be a monster by the time he graduates.