Opening Night Scrimmage

I just caught Rick Ross on "The View" (and ,no, this is not jimmy-coming-out-day, the wife was watching it). At any rate, he does seem like an unusual choice to initiate Hoiberg's first basketball kickoff event. Does anyone know who was in charge of lining up the musical guest? Was it the coach, the team, the UNL brass, the Pinnacle brass, Moos, Les Miles, Tim Miles, the rebounders...? Or was it just because Rick happened to be available for the right price and wanted some more publicity for his new autobiography? Just wondering? Does anyone know how many tunes he will be allowed to croon? Will the announcer be allowed to give Jean adequate warning regarding when to apply her ear plugs? And I did learn from Whoopie's insightful interview that Rick's Dad was a college professor and his Mom was a nurse. He also has a lot of sweet tattoos.

Edited by jimmykc

57 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I just caught Rick Ross on "The View" (and ,no, this is not jimmy-coming-out-day, the wife was watching it). At any rate, he does seem like an unusual choice to initiate Hoiberg's first basketball kickoff event. Does anyone know who was in charge of lining up the musical guest? Was it the coach, the team, the UNL brass, the Pinnacle brass, Moos, Les Miles, Tim Miles, the rebounders...? Or was it just because Rick happened to be available for the right price and wanted some more publicity for his new autobiography? Just wondering? Does anyone know how many tunes he will be allowed to croon? Will the announcer be allowed to give Jean adequate warning regarding when to apply her ear plugs? And I did learn from Whoopie's insightful interview that Rick's Dad was a college professor and his Mom was a nurse. He also has a lot of sweet tattoos.

IMO, it is more important that this is a successful recruiting event than it is a fan event. Fans will come to see Fred and the new team, and if they choose to stay home then that's their own choice. But I don't think we lose any fans over a musical act with a questionable history. Again, if we do, so be it. I'd rather have recruits be excited about an event to come to. Rick Ross is coming for the players on the team. If we were choosing for Jean, it may as well be Michael Buble

I don't even know...is Rick Ross that big of a deal even for the kids?  Seems to me like he might be a little past his prime as far as a hot act goes.  But, IDK.

The thing that is more concerning to me is the fact that Kansas already did it with having him perform at their "Late Night" spring football game, so it looks like we're just being copycats here.

58 minutes ago, 49r said:

I don't even know...is Rick Ross that big of a deal even for the kids?  Seems to me like he might be a little past his prime as far as a hot act goes.  But, IDK.

The thing that is more concerning to me is the fact that Kansas already did it with having him perform at their "Late Night" spring football game, so it looks like we're just being copycats here.

Past his prime like Bon Jovi past his prime?

1 hour ago, 49r said:

We swung a guy who released a top 10 album 2 months ago to play at our free practice in between tour stops in LA and Dallas.  It is completely incredible that this is happening.

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’m not sure what level of “Street Cred” he has anymore, even amongst the younger set. But, it’s better to have an eye towards what the players might like than be completely tone deaf and haul out some act only the old fuddy duddy’s might like. (Think Who/Super Bowl)

As an old fuddy daddy, I love The Who!

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Likewise, I just thought it was funny when they played & everyone was like, they’re SO “old” Well yeah, they’re in their 70’s  fer Christ’s sake...

When Pete and Roger played at the Super Bowl in 2010 they were "only" 64 and 65.

That seems younger to me now!

I'm a big fan from the 60's on.

God, now I've got to go checkout some homes.

5 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Wayne doesn't like Lincoln too much I would think....  Many years ago he had his Lear jet redone at Duncan and had like gold plated every thing solid high end woods etc... Duncan kept saying it's going to be too heavy...  Don't care do what I say.... So he gets it and finds out it can only fly like half as far on full tank of fuel... tries to sue Duncan... They have some guy that is a lawyer and has a Doctorate in Airspace  or something like that...  Duncan always wins with this guy... Wayne ain't happy.... Don't know anything after that... but...

20 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Wayne doesn't like Lincoln too much I would think....  Many years ago he had his Lear jet redone at Duncan and had like gold plated every thing solid high end woods etc... Duncan kept saying it's going to be too heavy...  Don't care do what I say.... So he gets it and finds out it can only fly like half as far on full tank of fuel... tries to sue Duncan... They have some guy that is a lawyer and has a Doctorate in Airspace  or something like that...  Duncan always wins with this guy... Wayne ain't happy.... Don't know anything after that... but...

Interesting stuff. Wayne's full of himself so none of that story seemed wholly out of character. 😉

Edited by AuroranHusker

Could we at least get Wayne's monkey? And since we are reminiscing about Super Bowl halftimes, I think Liza Minelli was featured once. My original post was only halfway tongue- in- cheek. Does anyone know who actually is in charge of scheduling entertainment like Rick or the halftime acts at basketball games? And who pays for them?

14 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Man, who knew that Wayne Newton could make enough money off of Danke Schoen to have a gold-plated private jet?

1 hour ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Just curious- anyone get their tickets for the event emailed to them? I got the confirmation from the athletic department and it just said the tickets would be emailed a few weeks before the event...well, it’s a few weeks before the event...

I'm guessing it will be within a week from now.