McKenna Minter-Where the heck is NE women's basketball in recruiting her????

Redhac

Saturday's  (6-29) Lincoln Journal Star (https://journalstar.com/sports/high-school/basketball/girls/feeling-super-stater-mckenna-minter-putting-herself-back-on-the/article_f38f052e-5d73-5090-a49f-16aa3e8089ec.html)  had a good article on McKenna Minter with indications that several DI schools have recruited her (no mention of NE in this article although was mentioned in prior Omaha World Herald article (https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/girls-basketball/recruiting-report-mckenna-minter-impressed-with-creighton-fielding-growing-list/article_a50584ae-ccda-11e7-bf96-ab657ab1dc00.html).   So other than Lauren Ware, we have not heard squat on NE women's basketball recruiting efforts for 2020 or beyond!!!  When there are skilled local or Nebraska wide players that could help,   looks to be common sense to be actively involved in recruiting these players!!!!   Maybe they are but who the heck  knows!!  Minter's speed and quickness would be a plus to add to the current roster which could use these on both offense and defense!  

I often wonder if this is a lack of recruiting effort or a lack of coverage.

We all should realize that WBB is down the list quite a ways from football and MBB when it comes to resources the big media outlets are willing to commit to.

That being said, the lack of attention for WBB is still alarming to me.

We hear next to nothing in regards to whom the staff is after or just recruiting in general.

Personally, I come to this site for info and more often than not, am  disappointed. 

Since this is a free site, I suspect there are many more fans, like yourself, than those with insider information.  We do see contributions from Sam on occasion.  The rest of us, try to share information, as we stumble upon it.  Please don't be discouraged.  If information becomes available, this is as good a place as any, to see it.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not just McKenna.  We aren't really doing well/ anything to protect our state.  Miss Ryan out of KS is the 83rd  ranked player in country "high profile miss".  Meanwhile we have, Miss Krull, the 87th ranked player and point guard to boot playing at Millard S. and now going to SD.  high profile ( no swing?). The 78th ranked player Miss Gony a 6'3" F that lives and plays what walking distance to the PBA still uncommitted.

Got to protect your own border before you can conquer other borders.  If math serves we have 6 to give.  We have 3 D1 worthy players inside of 50 miles and still no verbals.  Frustrating

Have to agree.  We are either purposely keeping recruiting quiet, or we don't have much to show for efforts up to now.  Can't help but be a bit uneasy.  Year 4, plenty of scholarships to give, and less than 4 months to early signing date.  Would be nice to hear something encouraging.   

This is the day and age where recruiting is paramount in the success of a program. Not the only issue that makes up a program ..of  course.

Unfortunately women's bball can't have a 100 player roster like football, so need to be careful recruiting. But yes, we have lots of space on the roster.And it's been that way for a while.

The end result of wins and losses, with all other things like graduation, etc....being equal. ....is important to this AD.  So time will tell how the program is seen.

Think we're going upward, then had a  bit of a slow spot ..... but this could well be our breakout year. Will be more talented and experienced. Will there be some fight in the dog ?

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

Apparently UNL hasn't offered? Never know the details of that stuff. Could mean several things..anybody's guess, Maybe waiting on how the ACL surgery came out. Sounds like she's recovered well.

I saw her play when she was a freshman.... I believe it was.

A quick ball handler "slasher" and penetrates well. Other parts of her game needed work, but that was her freshman year....but didn't play like a rookie freshman either. But haven't seen her play this year, to compare.  We'll see...right ?

2 hours ago, redsteve said:

Apparently UNL hasn't offered? Never know the details of that stuff. Could mean several things..anybody's guess, Maybe waiting on how the ACL surgery came out. Sounds like she's recovered well.

I saw her play when she was a freshman.... I believe it was.

A quick ball handler "slasher" and penetrates well. Other parts of her game needed work, but that was her freshman year....but didn't play like a rookie freshman either. But haven't seen her play this year, to compare.  We'll see...right ?

I noticed some Tweets from the coaches in your "Huskers Win In Europe" thread.  They were from July 20 and July 21 mentioning hitting the road for recruiting. Mays was headed to Georgia and Iowa.  Goehle to Minneapolis, Ames, Ia., and Thailand.  Chuck Love to DC, Atlanta, and Ladera Ranch, California.  Amy was headed to DC, Atlanta, Minneapolis, and Grand Rapids, Michigan.  No mention of local recruiting.  The Stewart girl from Minnesota might have been the Minneapolis target?  Just guessing.  

• 1 month later...

I have no idea how hard, if at all, nu recruited Minter. What I do know is we r blessed to have a great staff who is out pounding the gyms trying to find the best kids for NU to help us build on past success NU has had n womens b-ball.  They have had a few tough misses this summer but when u go for top 100 kids that’s going to happen because u r recruiting against other top programs.   We are in the hunt for a lot of top kids and that will continue. We have some nice young players in the program and a good freshman class with an Australian kid who is supposed to be very good and will add some deminsions we haven’t had previously. Obviously signing another pg  n 2020 is a priority But with foreign options etc we will find the right one.   

I agree with KH's post with the exception of use of the phrase "recruiting against other top programs".  NU is, right now, very very far from being considered a top program. And I continue to be bewildered and dismayed at the seeming lack of any attempt by the athletic office to market women's basketball. The excitement about what FH can do for the men's program is understandable, but not to the near total disregard of WBB.  I can recall very few LJS articles this summer and one of those was simply that tickets are now on sale. 

13 hours ago, kansashusker said:

I have no idea how hard, if at all, nu recruited Minter. What I do know is we r blessed to have a great staff who is out pounding the gyms trying to find the best kids for NU to help us build on past success NU has had n womens b-ball.  They have had a few tough misses this summer but when u go for top 100 kids that’s going to happen because u r recruiting against other top programs.   We are in the hunt for a lot of top kids and that will continue. We have some nice young players in the program and a good freshman class with an Australian kid who is supposed to be very good and will add some deminsions we haven’t had previously. Obviously signing another pg  n 2020 is a priority But with foreign options etc we will find the right one.   

:thumbsup:

Last season was disappointing given the experienced upperclassmen and overall talent level of the four incoming freshmen.  Nevertheless, I'm looking for improved results this season, given the returning players and with the additional year's experience for the freshmen, now sophomores.  A better year this season will no doubt enhance recruiting efforts.  That said, I agree with @Redhac and @Tom Jones;  the lack of overall information on the WBB program and recruiting is bewildering.  :Redface:

Edited by Red Don

On 9/23/2019 at 7:42 PM, kansashusker said:

Can you share the names of "in the hunt for a lot of top kids"?   What gyms are they pounding?   What kids have we offered?  As mentioned above, the lack of information being shared is disturbing, at best.   Sorry, asking you.  I appreciate all you bring to this forum.    

Edited by 12dozen