JPJ

Red Don

Sorry if already posted  :Redface:

Here is a short article about it in the OWH that I found posted in another thread.

Former Husker James Palmer has joined the summer league roster for the Phoenix Suns, according to The Athletic.

That means there will be at least two former Nebraska players in the summer league. Palmer's teammate, Isaiah Roby, was drafted in the second round earlier this month and will play in summer league with the Dallas Mavericks.

The Las Vegas summer league runs from July 5-15.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/former-husker-james-palmer-reportedly-joins-phoenix-suns-summer-league/article_8803dbc0-616e-5a25-8264-c1936f7ee0a0.html

Edited by Red Don

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, pmd9 said:

James had a great game tonight.  Led the Suns with 23 points!  Had 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal!  

I realize I don't follow NBA summer rules; so, I found it interesting when I read he had seven fouls. What is the rule there?

5 hours ago, arliepro said:

That's only in summer league, though. In regular NBA league play they get 6 fouls.

Unless they are a superstar, then they get the unlimited unless the 6th is just flagrant as hell.  Superstars don't foul out per the NBA's unwritten rule.

His fouls were from aggressive defense—and one charge that could have gone either way.  He played well on the defensive end of the court and created disruption for the other team.  

Note:  James was guarding the other team’s top scorer at the end of the game when it was close and the outcome hung in the balance.

24 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

His fouls were from aggressive defense—and one charge that could have gone either way.  He played well on the defensive end of the court and created disruption for the other team.  

Note:  James was guarding the other team’s top scorer at the end of the game when it was close and the outcome hung in the balance.

I noticed while watching Roby's games (didn't get to watch Palmer play last night) he was always the best on the court at closing out 3 point shooters, and it wasn't even close.  To me, that's the thing that's going to give both Jim and Isaiah a shot at making an NBA roster.  Hopefully they can both get there.

34 minutes ago, 49r said:

I noticed while watching Roby's games (didn't get to watch Palmer play last night) he was always the best on the court at closing out 3 point shooters, and it wasn't even close.  To me, that's the thing that's going to give both Jim and Isaiah a shot at making an NBA roster.  Hopefully they can both get there.

Agree!

To your point, 49r: early in his second game Roby got his fingertips on a three-point shot and immediately ran to the other end—his teammate grabbed the blocked shot and hit Roby in-stride for a lay-in. Roby didn’t even take a dribble.  It was a spectacular series of events, but the announcers totally missed it because they were gabbing about something that had nothing to do with the game.

3 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Agree!

To your point, 49r: early in his second game Roby got his fingertips on a three-point shot and immediately ran to the other end—his teammate grabbed the blocked shot and hit Roby in-stride for a lay-in. Roby didn’t even take a dribble.  It was a spectacular series of events, but the announcers totally missed it because they were gabbing about something that had nothing to do with the game.

This is why I never, ever listen to announcers anymore.  They never seem to be discussing what going on in front of them.  And even if they are they generally get it wrong.

4 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Agree!

For as much criticism as Coach Miles and his staff have taken over the years by us fans, we must acknowledge the phenomenal job they did in getting our guys ready to play defense at such a high level.

JPJ played a lot, and the final play off a timeout at the end was actually for Palmer, who had a nice look that I thought was going in.  He also had a fast break one a guy where he euro stepped around him and did a nice finger roll..brought a smile to my face, Husker fans have seen that a few times...

Right now he’s basically trying out for any team who may be interested. Suns roster is pretty much set. He could still sign a two-way contract with them, but I’d say it’s just as likely that he’ll get picked up by another team. Lots of unsigned players play in the summer league for one team and end up at another team’s training camp. 

The above post is worth mentioning for those who arent super familiar with the NBA. James Palmer is basically auditioning for all thirty NBA clubs. Pheonix has no rights to him even though he is on their summer league team. Whereas since Roby's draft rights were traded to Dallas they have control of him for two years minimum. 

Roby has much more security with being drafted. But Palmer will have much more flexibility if the interest is there.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:14 AM, colhusker said:

Unless they are a superstar, then they get the unlimited unless the 6th is just flagrant as hell.  Superstars don't foul out per the NBA's unwritten rule.

Unless the superstar plays for a small market team and then you will see them get their six foul on some skechy calls....(IE Giannis in Milwaukee has fouled out twice in the last two years in the post season on a ball that should have been ruled a jump ball and an offensive foul that was probably a 50/50 call....if it was KD or Lebron, never would he been called for either foul)