Bill Moos, AD extraordinaire

Red Don

On 6/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, 49r said:

Extremely overrated award. This was a pet of Bill Byrne, and could be argued his pursuit of this award was the beginning of the downward spiral of Nebraska football.

BTW, Alabama is 30? and Clemson is far below us in the 70's. I doubt any of their fans, boosters or alumni give two whips about the Learfield Directors Cup standing.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:31 AM, busticket said:

Right now I’d have Byrne 1, Devaney a close 2nd and then Moos. I think it is a big drop after that.  Osborne’s hires were meh at best.  Moos could end up #1 but it will be a few years minimum before we know that answer.

Devaney 1, Moos 2, TO 3.

Each one of them have done, are doing, good things.

Devaney was forward thinking enough to hire TO and took a chance on Nee and it paid off. He was also very fiscally sound. He kept the AD in the black and devoted the most  resources to the most important things. Think of the weight room and the building named after him that is still in use today. He also contributed important intangibles. He will always be #1 in my book no matter what anybody who follows him does.

Moos is at 2 because the book is still out on his hires although from purely a perception and fan base unification standpoint they are important. Our fan base has been extremely divided for a very long time. His hires had to be home runs. They had to check all of the boxes and for Football and Basketball they have certainly done that. He has taken a page out of the BD model and allocated the most resources to where they need to be allocated. Despite what people think he is not ego driven. If he was he would not have made the hires that made knowing that some people would view those hires as a no-brainer, that anybody could have made. I can promise you that neither Frost nor Hoiberg would  have come here if we had a typical empty suit as an AD i.e Byrne, Pedersen, Eichorst. 

TO is very important, because from a financial perspective he brought us back into the black. Pedersen had cooked the books and we were in a financial mess when TO took over. Many people don't realize how bad it was. Most importantly, his name, and his name alone got us into the BIG. If as the AD, he was't involved, we would not have been asked into the BIG, which has set us up financially for a long time into the future. Don't think there is a PBA without TO either. He made some very strategic moves along with his backing of the PBA being financed with public/private money, and in Lincoln people know how difficult it is to convince people to do something like that. His hires, while not program changing set us up well for what we have now. Pelini, like him or hate won games. Miles got us to an NCAA tournament which somewhat reinvigorated interest in the program. Nothing that follows would be possible if not for TO, similar to if we don't have The Bob nothing that follows is possible.

I am 99% sure Bill Byrne inherited an AD in the red to the tune of several million.  His big thing, other than chasing the director’s cup, was he was very good with financials.  I believe there was an OWH article on that.  I am lousy at linking on my phone.  It was around September of 2017.

if Devaney was better at financials I would have made him #1 on my list.

It wasn't that Byrne was bad with financials it was how he allocated resources. Chasing the directors cup and funneling resources to Olympic/non-revenue generating sports to the detriment of football and basketball. A good example is comparing his basketball vs baseball hires. Van Horn is a program defining hire. Barry Collier not so much. While he did put in a good effort to get Self, save for not paying  him back for dinner, he still fell short. 

I get the point of this thread, which is one of the better ones to pass time before real basketball news begins. However, BD and TO bring so much positive karma with them that it is virtually impossible to objectively rate their performances as ADs. It is sort of like rating JC's skills as a furniture builder, to make a suitable Sunday analogy. 

On 6/28/2019 at 7:35 AM, LK1 said:

The Hoiberg hire put my foot entirely in my mouth regarding his handling of TM.  I still think speaking out when he did was stupid, but now I think he’ll go down as our greatest AD ever after the hiring show he put on this year.  Hats off to the guy.  

Let's see how these hires playout first.

On 6/29/2019 at 6:33 PM, Cazzie22 said:

Devaney hired  Osborne, Francis Allen, Gary Pepin and most importantly Terry Petit.  If the Bill Moos hires pan out that well then an argument for #1 could be made. 

I was sitting here thinking about who the Bob father had hired, thanks for posting who he hired.

On 6/30/2019 at 2:47 PM, Huskerpapa said:

Bob D was great for his time.  Bob would not be able to handle things the same way today.  But it is really hard to argue with the results.  He led a good ol boy network. 

I still remember he appeared at my HS sports banquet and shocked me when he specifically talked about me in his speech.  Absolutely floored me.

Where you the butt of a joke he told?

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Where you the butt of a joke he told?

Sort of.  I am sure he was prompted, but he commented on me playing football, basketball and baseball and finding a way to run track.  Something about academics must take a seat somewhere in the backseat.

I'm still not entirely sold on bolt as a baseball hire... which is why I look at so many of these as incomplete.

Hoiberg and frost hires being homeruns is good enough to be top 3 or 4 by themselves.  But for all we know circumstances will look differently in a couple years.

I guess I'm not a fan of the hype.  Byrne and Devaney for sure are ahead at this point.  Osborne was terrible at hiring coaches but the b1g move sure as heck wins for decades by itself.

Knock on wood... but results matter.  Hiring who people think will succeed isnt enough.