Bill Moos, AD extraordinaire

Red Don

10 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Not only that, but the jackwads who wanted to spread the drunken stories.  Shame on them.

I'd say the timing on when that blew up was odd....it was a fairly old rumor here. Was that about basketball or was there some other reason. No idea.

Otherwise you run a fine line at times when you potentially give people more leeway because of how well they do their job. If there is nothing there with Moos, there is nothing there.  If there is something there and it gets buried because he's doing a good job....that's the sort of thing that makes the Jerry Sanduskys of the world possible.

It truly is amazing that any university or person could make 2 hires that terrible out of 3. We're talking two all-time-disaster, wouldn't-trust-either-of-them-to-walk-my-dog hires.

Unless, of course, the goal was to make terrible, utterly incompetent hires. Then, mission accomplished.

2 hours ago, throwback said:

It truly is amazing that any university or person could make 2 hires that terrible out of 3. We're talking two all-time-disaster, wouldn't-trust-either-of-them-to-walk-my-dog hires.

Unless, of course, the goal was to make terrible, utterly incompetent hires. Then, mission accomplished.

I presume we're talking about Shawn Eichorst. He fits in perfectly at the University of Texas, all things considered.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:00 AM, 49r said:

I still don't trust the guy.  IMO, he's about as genuine as a 3 dollar bill.

But I'm glad we have Fred Hoiberg as our coach now and not Ernie Kent, so he's at least done that one thing right.

Our last 5 A.D.s before Moos:   Devaney, Byrne, Pederson, Osborne, Eichorst.  Where would you rank him among them?  I can make an argument for number 1.

2 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Our last 5 A.D.s before Moos:   Devaney, Byrne, Pederson, Osborne, Eichorst.  Where would you rank him among them?  I can make an argument for number 1.

The jury's still WAY out on Moos if you ask me.  Sure, on the surface, the hires he's made so far look pretty decent.  But at the time we were all pretty happy with Pelini, Miles and Erstad too.  It'll take a few years at least to know what we have in the UNL AD.

If I had to rank them right now I'd have Devaney and Byrne #1 and #1a then probably Osborne and then Moos.  Eichorst and Pederson would be a pretty stiff contest for last.  The only thing those two did for NU was give us crappy football and obnoxious signs outside each gate at Memorial Stadium.

53 minutes ago, 49r said:

But at the time we were all pretty happy with Pelini, Miles and Erstad too.

While I was optimistic with TOs hires - Frost, Hoiberg and Bolt are much, much more impressive hires. Frost won a BCS bowl at UCF as the head man / Pelini was never a head coach. Hoiberg went to Sweet 16s / Miles never won a tournament game. Bolt has been an asst coach on a very successful SEC team / Erstad had 1 year as a volunteer coach under a coach that got canned. In terms of going and getting highly desirable, top level coaches Moos >>>>> TO.

I just want to reiterate this again. Moos hasn't done anything that is rocket science; his coaching hires, funding decisions, and general approach to managing the athletic department is straight forward. You could've asked any Nebraska fan who to hire or where to put your money and the majority of those fans would have come up with the same exact scenarios. The only difference is that Moos has actually executed on what he set out to do and made it happen. And that's exactly the type of AD we've been needing for decades. You want the teams within the athletic department to rebuild and strive for bigger things? Put someone in charge who will do more than just talk about it; put someone there who will actually do something to do what they can to make that happen.

Frost was a no-brainer. Homegrown Nebraska kid who played here and was one of the hottest young coaches in the game at the time. Even I would have gone after him if I'd been AD. The real coup was Hoiberg. We've never hired a basketball coach before who already had an established name and won at the P5 level before coming here. Yeah, we had some family connections. Maybe without that Jerry Bush connection and him being born in Lincoln, he might have held out for a different job. So, maybe we kind of lucked into the fact that there was an appeal to him to come to Lincoln. Add to that TO offering him a football scholarship.  But, still, we've never pulled that off before. And we've been shunned by Dana Altman a couple of times, so just being from here isn't enough to get a coach to come here.

Bob D was great for his time.  Bob would not be able to handle things the same way today.  But it is really hard to argue with the results.  He led a good ol boy network. 

I still remember he appeared at my HS sports banquet and shocked me when he specifically talked about me in his speech.  Absolutely floored me.

14 hours ago, 49r said:

Keep in mind Osborne was instrumental in getting Nebraska into the Big Ten.  That move alone (in my mind) is enough to elevate him into 3rd place.  At least for now.

That's easily the best move T.O. was able to attain. He gave Perlman's Nebraska credibility. Without T.O. NU is likely a lame-duck Big 12 member that hates every day, left in that league.