2022 SG Gradey Dick-> Kansas

4 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

He seems to be a perfect Hoiberg player. Imagine if he lands Dick, Yalden and Traudt to compliment McGowans (Bryce) and Breidenbach. Will be interesting to see who he brings in play point guard, such that it is in his system.

While I like Yalden, I question his athleticism. He has very soft hands, which is great, and he seems to have good handles for a big man. But I haven't seen video of him matched up against anyone who looks like a comparable player, and given the excess weight he's carrying, I'm going to guess he's maybe a bit more of a half-court guy who could really do some damage in the post as a back-to-the-basket scorer. But I get the sense we don't look for guys that are built like that. That's more of a Wisconsin style of player.

And while I love Traudt's game, there've been enough hints that he has aspirations of going to more of a blueblood program, so I'm not pinning hopes on Traudt being a Husker. Would HAPPILY welcome it, but just don't see it happening.

Grady Dick, though, seems at least open to the idea of playing for Coach Hoiberg notwithstanding that there might be some work to do to sell him on the Nebraska name. Winning would help in that regard, and he would sure help with the winning. Landing Dick would be a great start to our 2022 recruiting class.

• 3 weeks later...

Coaching is important but, without good players, good or even great coaching can only take you so far. We have to fill a lineup with kids who can shoot and score, and Grady would have been someone who could do that. Right now, we have a bunch of guys who can do the shooting part but are struggling with the scoring end of things. Missing on this one is not totally unexpected, but we are going to have to win some of these recruiting battles for players like this if we hope to climb out of the Big Ten cellar. So, color me disappointed.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Coaching is important but, without good players, good or even great coaching can only take you so far. We have to fill a lineup with kids who can shoot and score, and Grady would have been someone who could do that. Right now, we have a bunch of guys who can do the shooting part but are struggling with the scoring end of things. Missing on this one is not totally unexpected, but we are going to have to win some of these recruiting battles for players like this if we hope to climb out of the Big Ten cellar. So, color me disappointed.

To add to this, while there are good teams in that Top 8... really good teams... it just shows you how far we still have to go on the recruiting trail.  B McGowens is currently the exception and we had an "in."  We're going to need to start putting up some W's sometime soon.

30 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

To add to this, while there are good teams in that Top 8... really good teams... it just shows you how far we still have to go on the recruiting trail.  B McGowens is currently the exception and we had an "in."  We're going to need to start putting up some W's sometime soon.

Especially with posts (and no, I don't define Breidenbach that way).    I've been really impressed with the young bigs in the league.  Minnesota, Northwestern, Michigan, etc.   

10 minutes ago, HB said:

Especially with posts (and no, I don't define Breidenbach that way).    I've been really impressed with the young bigs in the league.  Minnesota, Northwestern, Michigan, etc.   

Myles Johnson was ranked by 24/7 sports as the 371st overall player in the class of 2018. He had offers from Colgate, Hawaii and Cal Santa Barbara before committing to Rutgers.

He's currently averaging over 8 1/2 rebounds per game. He doesn't score much -- 7.8 ppg -- but with Ron Harper Jr. (23.4 ppg), Jacob Young (15.9 ppg) and Montez Mathis (14.3 ppg) on the team, he doesn't need to. However, when he does touch the ball, he scores it 62.2% of the times he takes a shot.

Yvan Ouedraogo has a long way to go to get to that level of efficiency. He's also nowhere near as long as Myles Johnson. But Eduardo Andre is that long. Longer, even.  And could develop into the kind of big you'd like to see us have.

Yvan has some upside, but he also has some things he needs to get straightened out. Yvan could get there, but I think his odds are longer. Eduardo just seems like a more natural, fluid athlete, he's a hell of a lot longer, and he certainly appears to have better touch than Yvan.

So, if you're pinning your hopes on anyone to be that legit Big Ten big for next year, you better hope Eduardo puts in the time in the gym, at the training table, in the film room, and on the floor to develop, because he has the highest ceiling but also the longest distance to travel to get there.

Myles Johnson is also in his fourth year in the program, and while I can't find his date of birth, I'm guessing he didn't start his collegiate career at age 17. Yvan actually wasn't that far off from what Johnson did after having a redshirt year. I don't know if Yvan will take advantage of having an extra year of eligibility, but I think the ceiling for Yvan is still a ways off. I've like what I've seen from him the past few games. I think him and Andre could be a really nice tandem in the paint, something we haven't seen here in a very long time. 

• 2 months later...
  • hhcmatt changed the title to 2022 SG Gradey Dick-> Kansas