2019 Football Outlook

7 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

You guys are so fickle

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I guess stating reality is fickle to some people.

We market ourselves as a top notch program with a budget to match. We then continue to consistently field crappy teams.

Frost will get a chance to turn it around, but if he doesn’t start learning from his mistakes, he will not get it done.

48 minutes ago, khoock said:

Give atleast a little meaning back to the bowls.

I actually see the bowl landscape changing in the next 10 years. With athletes being able to profit off their likeness, I'll bet you some of the bowl revenue goes to the players and you'll see a lot more players decide to play rather than sit for the draft. And because there's more money in it for the players, there's probably going to be fewer bowls to go around (only the ones that can sustain those types of budgets would survive). Ergo, "meaning" would come back to what a bowl game signified.

25 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I guess stating reality is fickle to some people.

We market ourselves as a top notch program with a budget to match. We then continue to consistently field crappy teams.

Frost will get a chance to turn it around, but if he doesn’t start learning from his mistakes, he will not get it done.

That's your opinion. mine is wait and see who is eating crow.

Here's the 2019 season:

W - South Alabama: 1-10 (0-7), Arkansas State remaining

L - Colorado: 5-6 (3-5), Utah remaining

W - Northern Illinois: 5-7 (4-4)

W - Illinois: 6-5 (4-4), Northwestern remaining

L - Ohio State: 11-0 (8-0), Michigan remaining

W - Northwestern: 2-9 (0-8), Illinois remaining

L - Minnesota: 10-1 (7-1), Wisconsin remaining

L - Indiana: 7-4 (4-4), Purdue remaining

L - Purdue: 4-7 (3-5), Indiana remaining

L - Wisconsin: 9-2 (6-2), Minnesota remaining

W - Maryland: 3-8 (1-7), Michigan State remaining

L - Iowa: 9-3 (6-3)

Assuming South Alabama holds onto the win, Colorado loses to Utah, and both Ohio State and Michigan State win here's where our season finishes up:

68-66 opponent record with 6 of the 12 teams with a losing record.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Stats for Luke at least getting a look back themselves up.

Starting a game where the opponent has extensive film and is game planning against you vs. coming in for some snaps here and there will provide different stats. Or at least it should. Certainly better to be on the plus side of the stats for those snaps than the other way around!

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Stats for Luke at least getting a look back themselves up.

Martinez as a true freshman:  224-347-8-2617-17. 140-629-8

Martinez did not look like the player he was last year.

Martinez didn't have the OL of last year nor Morgan.  I think the WR's couldn't get open.

His injury did not help.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

For what it's worth. Teams to root against for bowl eligibility:

Friday:

TCU, Troy

Saturday:

Army, Boston College, Colorado, Liberty, Michigan State, North Carolina, Oregon State, UL-Monroe

Boston College is the only team ahead of us in APR academic rankings. So if there are 2 openings left after this week, we would get a bid for a bowl.

Both TCU and Troy lost today.

Eight more games to go on Saturday. If only 1 of those teams win tomorrow, then Boston College and Nebraska take those final two spots.

I've done worse things than this before, like watching Delaware State and Marist games in March, so it is what it is for one more day.

36 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

That's your opinion. mine is wait and see who is eating crow.

Maybe I missed it, who made you eat crow in regards to Miles and Erstad?

Its perfectly understandable to claim Frost has been a huge disappointment and also understand that he could turn things around. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

22 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Sadly, Adrian Martinez makes Taylor Martinez looks like Peyton Manning at this point. 

Not sure what happened for him.

I think they are trying to make him into Peyton Manning.   They need to give him 2 reads, if they are not open, go!!  I think teams have film on Adrian and figured him out.  It's a game of adjustments!  Iowa was very disciplined in rushing Adrian.  Never giving him a lane to run.  Plus, Iowa is a very good defensively.  

It doesn't help replacing Farmer and Foster with Hixon and Wilson.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:10 PM, 49r said:

I have enforced a personal moratorium on even thinking about trying to assess Frost's abilities/state of the football program until at least year 4.  All I can do right now is hope the guys on the team are able to keep faith and not give up on the process.  As long as they do that I'm satisfied.

I think the guys have held up their end of the bargain, they did not give up on the season.  We saw what it looks like when a team does that last weekend.

Disappointed we weren't able to make that bowl game, but satisfied nonetheless.

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

I think the guys have held up their end of the bargain, they did not give up on the season.  We saw what it looks like when a team does that last weekend.

Disappointed we weren't able to make that bowl game, but satisfied nonetheless.

The upperclassmen have been able to hold this squad together fairly well, considering the 0-6 start to 2018 and the 1-5 finish to 2019. I'm slightly encouraged by the heart of the Huskers the past 3 games, especially.

We need to get better on special teams.

We did everything right to win the game after the 1st quarter.  We shut down Iowa after they went ahead 14 - 3.  They had 182 yards of total offense in the final 48 minutes of game time.  That's 228 yards over 60 minutes  Heck, if we allow 17 points per game and 324 yards per game, we should be pretty good, especially if we get freshmen Martinez back.  The back breaker was the KO return for a TD.

Next year, what I would like to see is Mills becoming a workhorse.  Martinez getting back to freshmen form.  Special teams getting better.  The defense playing like they did yesterday.  The main thing is to get the 3 phases working together and stop finding ways to lose.

On 8/28/2019 at 11:05 AM, khoock said:

Andre Hunt and Katarian LeGrone are suspended indefinitely. LeGrone was not a surprising omission from the depth chart; however, Hunt was. Atleast we have a little clarity as to why.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28231756/nebraska-players-face-ban-sexual-misconduct

We now know the full story as well.

• 2 weeks later...