2019 Football Outlook

Bob Devaney: 101-20-2 overall (83%), 64-14-1 (81%), 6-3 postseason, 9 of 11 bowl appearances

Tom Osborne: 255-49-3 overall (84%), 153-22-1 conf (87%), 12-13 postseason, 25-25 bowl appearances

Frank Solich: 58-19 overall (75%), 33-15 conf (69%), 3-3 postseason (incl. Bo Pelini Alamo Bowl interim), 6 of 6 bowl appearances

Bill Callahan: 27-22 overall (55%), 15-17 conf (47%), 1-1 postseason, 2 of 4 bowl appearances

Bo Pelini: 66-27 overall (71%), 38-17 conf (69%), 3-4 postseason (excl. Alamo Bowl interim), 7 of 7 bowl appearances

Mike Riley: 19-19 overall (50%), 12-14 conf (46%), 1-1 postseason, 2 of 3 bowl appearances

Scott Frost: 8-13 overall (38%), 5-10 conf (33%), 0-0 postseason, 0* of 2 bowl appearances (*probably)

Mike Riley shattered records dating back to the 1940s for Nebraska having it's worst ever season, but will still have more bowl appearances in 3 years than Scott Frost will.

We've also had 49 losses in the last 9 years, which is the exact same amount of loses Tom Osborne had in 25 years.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, mwm89 said:

They love the concept of our demise.   😠

They also love the concept of our resurrection.  Remember all summer the ridiculous hype surrounding the program?

Mostly they love page views.  I wouldn't place too much weight into these things one way or another.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

They also love the concept of our resurrection.  Remember all summer the ridiculous hype surrounding the program?

Mostly they love page views.  I wouldn't place too much weight into these things one way or another.

Yeah, E$PN knows that Husker fans and Husker haters alike will read it. That's the "bottom line." 😉

Let me get this straight, we extend Miles 1 year after a record breaking season.  We extend Frost 2 years after most likely 2 losing seasons.   I am for sure, Moos wanted to fire Miles once he hired Frost.

I know I have called Frost out.  My only problem with Frost is the fans making him out to be the savior when they were so quick to not give Riley a chance.

I have no idea what Mills did to this coaching staff.  He helps get inside the red zone and we bring Mazour in for three plays.

23 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

What a game of missed opportunities.

We were in Wisconsin territory 8 out of 11 times, and came away with 21 points.  Wisconsin was in Nebraska territory 9 out of 11 times, had 37 points.

Now, we have to finish next week against Maryland and get a win.  Then, play Iowa with a bowl bid on the line.  A bowl bid would be nice.

4 hours ago, brfrad said:

We were in Wisconsin territory 8 out of 11 times, and came away with 21 points.  Wisconsin was in Nebraska territory 9 out of 11 times, had 37 points.

Now, we have to finish next week against Maryland and get a win.  Then, play Iowa with a bowl bid on the line.  A bowl bid would be nice.

Similar story against Purdue & Indiana as NU wasted a lot of opportunities. Sad ordeal. Maybe a Maryland team is just what the doctor ordered for NU to clean up its misfirings on O, D, & ST. And, with a B1G win at MD, then it's a border war against Iowa for a bowl bid.

14 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

The odds of sweeping Maryland and Iowa to get to 6 wins might be better than the odds of getting to 6 wins in 2020 or 2021.

I'm not concerned with future seasons with future rosters we know little about. I saw a lot of progress yesterday, even with a few warts, against a very salty Wisc.

On 11/15/2019 at 10:42 AM, 49r said:

I agree.  But I think regarding what you're referring to had a lot to do with belief in Frost as a coach and Martinez as a QB, and how we finished 2018.  I'm not quite convinced it was based primarily on the "concept of our resurrection".

59 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Is this lead big enough that I can have a comfortable afternoon?

Time will tell. 

The 2006 Michigan State vs. Northwestern football game featured the biggest comebackin NCAA Division 1-A history. The Spartans rallied to score 38 unanswered points to beat the Wildcats 41–38 after falling behind 38–3 with 9:54 left in the 3rd quarter.

A 4-7 Nebraska team with nothing to play for the day after Thanksgiving could have led to a dud for game day atmosphere. But a 5-6 Nebraska team playing for a bowl bid and to snap a losing streak against (a ranked) Iowa should be a good atmsophere. Funny how much one victory can do for ya. GBR!!!

30 minutes ago, khoock said:

A 4-7 Nebraska team with nothing to play for the day after Thanksgiving could have led to a dud for game day atmosphere. But a 5-6 Nebraska team playing for a bowl bid and to snap a losing streak against (a ranked) Iowa should be a good atmsophere. Funny how much one victory can do for ya. GBR!!!

Yep, today's result did become a must-win after so many B1G games had fallen to the wayside in the 'L' category. Now, hope springs eternal. Get another win within a week's time, and Nebraska's going back to a bowl game. Momentum can officially be seized with another victory, over border rival Iowa, to boot. And, yes, I did say 'rival' as I feel that this NE-IA series has definitely became that to the fandom on both sides of the Muddy Mo. Let's Go, Big Red !!

Edited by AuroranHusker