2019 Football Outlook

23 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Interesting that he is still on the roster.  Rumors are certainly flying (as they always do) on social media.

I could see Frost wanting to address it publicly before removing him from the roster. Im not a PR kinda guy but that seems like the PR thing to do.

Last year when watching Mo, I thought that the kid had that innate skill set that made his future bright.  I thought, man, with a bit more body mass, and a year of college under his belt, he was going to be a real good one.  Then...this year happened.  I don't know what happened???  He doesn't look like he spent much time building his body; he looked disinterested (and with a felony hovering over his head, it is hard to blame him; perhaps the offensive line is not helping as much; but shoot the boot, the dude would looked tentative, he was unable or unwilling to explode through initial impact...and well, he looked bad.  

So this doesn't surprise me, the kid most certainly took a step backward this season. 

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Oh well. Give other kids a chance who want to be here. Time to move on. No longer have to worry about what's going to happen to Mo with that whole felony thing.

I'm glad Frosty made a stand, Mo's been silently resisting instruction for quite some time. He needs to pull his life together, elsewhere. Then, maybe, the dude will figure out he's not that "special" to receive all this extra attention. It's life, you have to make it what you want. No one's going to just give you everything you want !

11 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

The Riley excuse is running pretty thin when you can’t even beat Indiana at home.

5 millions dollars a year and the go is on the verge of missing a bowl again. 

I would say Frost has some pretty tough choices to make this offseason but I have zero faith in him getting rid of any of his buddies. 

this program's in complete shambles. the thing needs a Hoiberg-like flush form the top down. 

11 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

The Riley excuse is running pretty thin when you can’t even beat Indiana at home.

5 millions dollars a year and the go is on the verge of missing a bowl again. 

I would say Frost has some pretty tough choices to make this offseason but I have zero faith in him getting rid of any of his buddies. 

You say that as if Indiana is some awful team. When in reality they will win 8 or 9 games this year and you could argue they played Ohio State the best of any team this year so far.

Not excusing the loss. The reality is, Nebraska was either way worse off than anyone realized or Scott Frost and Co. arent as great as advertised/thought to believe or somewhere in the middle of both extremes. I honestly dont know the answer and you probably dont either. But its too early to tell. Next year will tell us alot imo.

22 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Hoiberg is the Coach that Frost thinks he is. 

Hopefully.

I still think Frost can be that guy but I do think it’s going to require him reverting course and moving on from some of his friends. In no way do I see Nebraska ever winning a conference title with a guy like Chinander leading the defense. I’m not even sure we can win the division with him on the sidelines.  

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Hopefully.

I still think Frost can be that guy but I do think it’s going to require him reverting course and moving on from some of his friends. In no way do I see Nebraska ever winning a conference title with a guy like Chinander leading the defense. I’m not even sure we can win the division with him on the sidelines.  

Oh we’re in agreement there. I just think Frost came in way too cocky with the “B1G needs to adjust to us” stuff. Hoiberg knows how to coach at a highest level. Frost very much still learning. I do fear it will take firing Chin. 

3 hours ago, khoock said:

The good news is Indiana is better than Maryland and Purdue. The bad news is we have to go on the road for both.

Indiana's games this year:

Ball State (4 - 4) W, 34 - 24

Eastern Illinois (0 - 9 FCS) W, 52 - 0

Ohio State (8 - 0) L, 10 - 51

UConn (2 - 6) W, 38 - 3

Michigan State (4 - 4) L, 31 - 40

Rutgers (2 - 6) W, 35 - 0

Maryland (3 - 5) W, 34 - 28

Nebraska (4 - 4) W, 38 - 31

That's a pretty soft schedule.  We have 4 sure wins and Maryland a toss-up.

Purdue is a team that's up and down.  They were down today.  They played Minnesota tough.  Blew out Maryland.  It's on the road.  This next game is the season.  We lose, no bowl game.

I know everyone was so impressed with Frost at UCF.  As was I.  

However, UCF's seniors in 2017, given 5 years, were 40 - 24 (including an 0 - 12 season)

I don't know with the style of offense Frost wants to run, if we are going to get a dominating defense.

The area I am most concerned with is the lack of adjustments.  We look good to start the games, but once the other team makes adjustments we look lost.  An example is 3rd quarters.  We are getting outscored 90 - 41 in 3rd quarters. 

And, big backs need to be used in this offense.  Look at Ozigbo last year, we decided to start using him the last half of the season.  First 5 games last year avg. 10 carries for 58 yards.  Last 7 games, avg. 15 carries for 113 yards.  Mills, this year avg. 10 carries for 50 yards.  8 carries today for 30 yards when you have to give a true freshmen tiny back 22 carries.  Don't get me wrong Robinson is a super talent, but he is going to get hurt getting 22 carries a game.

9 hours ago, brfrad said:

Indiana's games this year:

Ball State (4 - 4) W, 34 - 24

Eastern Illinois (0 - 9 FCS) W, 52 - 0

Ohio State (8 - 0) L, 10 - 51

UConn (2 - 6) W, 38 - 3

Michigan State (4 - 4) L, 31 - 40

Rutgers (2 - 6) W, 35 - 0

Maryland (3 - 5) W, 34 - 28

Nebraska (4 - 4) W, 38 - 31

That's a pretty soft schedule.  We have 4 sure wins and Maryland a toss-up.

Purdue is a team that's up and down.  They were down today.  They played Minnesota tough.  Blew out Maryland.  It's on the road.  This next game is the season.  We lose, no bowl game.

I know everyone was so impressed with Frost at UCF.  As was I.  

However, UCF's seniors in 2017, given 5 years, were 40 - 24 (including an 0 - 12 season)

I don't know with the style of offense Frost wants to run, if we are going to get a dominating defense.

The area I am most concerned with is the lack of adjustments.  We look good to start the games, but once the other team makes adjustments we look lost.  An example is 3rd quarters.  We are getting outscored 90 - 41 in 3rd quarters. 

And, big backs need to be used in this offense.  Look at Ozigbo last year, we decided to start using him the last half of the season.  First 5 games last year avg. 10 carries for 58 yards.  Last 7 games, avg. 15 carries for 113 yards.  Mills, this year avg. 10 carries for 50 yards.  8 carries today for 30 yards when you have to give a true freshmen tiny back 22 carries.  Don't get me wrong Robinson is a super talent, but he is going to get hurt getting 22 carries a game.

Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois....and now Nebraska. The only teams that Indiana has beat within the Big Ten over the last 3 years. 

I honestly have not watched enough Indians football to dispute if they are good or not but I feel pretty confident in saying that’s not a game you should be losing at home.

It’s going to be a pretty tough pill to swallow if Frost goes 0-2 in making bowl games and it’s going to make getting “back” that much harder. 

On 8/29/2019 at 7:46 PM, Huskerpapa said:

I have a simple hope...that is, we live up to the hype.  Over the last twenty years I have heard and read a lot of hype that didn't pan out.  Tanner Lee was supposed to be an All-Pro type of QB, right?

But this year seems a bit different.   We should have a much improved team.  But we are in a major conference with a lot of great players and teams.  So, others have improved as well, and others are going to be better this year as well.  We need to play our collective a**es off, and we have to hope for no key injuries, we have to significantly cut stupid penalties/mistakes and we have to win the turnover margin for the first time (in what seems like) two decades.  

But all that said,  I think we go 8-4 or better.  

I will walk back from my 8-4 belief.  We had/have injuries.  We have had a number of players under-perform.  We have an offensive line that is porous. We have a defensive line that still cannot generate a consistent pass rush.  We have players that still walk through games, and believe they are all-Americans.  We have players who once again quit on their brethren.  This staff, love them or not, is being out-coached.  Simply look at the 3rd quarter comparisons after half-time adjustments.  And oh yes, we are still losing the turnover margin and the penalties continue.  This is not going to be quick fix.  

“Don't overrate someone, unless you want to harm him/her.”
 Abdullah Muhammad Farabi

I am starting to wonder about Frost.  It seems he is pleasing the fans.  In one breath he tells us they had a good week of practice.  Then, he says some players aren't bought in.  How can we have a good week of practice, if we aren't bought in.  It seems like he doesn't know why we are playing so poorly.   Fans will agree with him by their hatred for Riley, if he says not everyone is bought in.  It's not fair to the players who stuck with him.  It's time to focus on getting the team ready for Purdue, and making the team better. 

23 hours ago, khoock said:

The good news is Indiana is better than Maryland and Purdue. The bad news is we have to go on the road for both.

Yeah, I was thinking I wished NU had both MD & PU at home this year and Wisc. & IA on the road. Better chance to win the 2 home games than the roadies that way. Oh well, still the two games that are most "winnable" are MD & PU. Better get to getting better, Nebraska. Quick & in a hurry! GBR

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yeah, I was thinking I wished NU had both MD & PU at home this year and Wisc. & IA on the road. Better chance to win the 2 home games than the roadies that way. Oh well, still the two games that are most "winnable" are MD & PU. Better get to getting better, Nebraska. Quick & in a hurry! GBR

Yeah they will have to nut up on the road bc they are not playing in a way where i feel they have a chance of upsetting Wisconsin or Iowa.

13 hours ago, brfrad said:

Did Indiana's coach finally get done with his injury report from Saturday?   It had to be a long list for all the defensive players that went down.

I think the same guy went down two (maybe three?) times...and he was the coach's son.