2019 Football Outlook

51 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Riley had a team that was 7 - 0 in his 2nd year, and ranked # 8.  Lost to Wisconsin in OT.  Then, it went downhill.

Minnesota rushing stats this year

vs. SDSU             42 - 132      3.1 YPC

vs. Fresno State 52 - 146     2.8 YPC

vs. Georgia South 48 - 93    1.9 YPC

vs. Purdue            34 - 92      2.7 YPC

vs. Illinois           52 - 332      6.4 YPC (we ran for 363 yards against them)

vs. Nebraska     49 - 322      6.6 YPC

It’s early but many would be singing a different tune if Frost had not played here. 

He needs 5 years, but it’s been bad.  Really bad.  Fleck made a big decision to fire his defensive coordinator after I believe the Nebraska game last year. They have been on a roll since. I can’t say I trust Frost to make a similar call.  Frost saddled himself with some very inexperienced coaches and I think it’s coming back to bite him int he behind. 

14 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

It’s early but many would be singing a different tune if Frost had not played here. 

He needs 5 years, but it’s been bad.  Really bad.  Fleck made a big decision to fire his defensive coordinator after I believe the Nebraska game last year. They have been on a roll since. I can’t say I trust Frost to make a similar call.  Frost saddled himself with some very inexperienced coaches and I think it’s coming back to bite him int he behind. 

I don't think the DC is the problem.  The defense, for the most part, haven't been horrible (outside of tonight and Ohio State).  The thing I am scared of is 6 senior starters are going to be gone, including the entire defensive line.  We need to get physical on both sides of the ball.  Part of the reason I quit football after my freshmen year in high school is I was passive and didn't have the nastiness to play the game. 

I know people say we were 1 - 6 in 2018, and now are 4 - 3.  That shows improvement.  We had a much tougher schedule to this point last year.

2 weeks from today, I will be cheering this team on in a must win for our bowl hopes.

13 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I don't think the DC is the problem.  The defense, for the most part, haven't been horrible (outside of tonight and Ohio State).  The thing I am scared of is 6 senior starters are going to be gone, including the entire defensive line.  We need to get physical on both sides of the ball.  Part of the reason I quit football after my freshmen year in high school is I was passive and didn't have the nastiness to play the game. 

I know people say we were 1 - 6 in 2018, and now are 4 - 3.  That shows improvement.  We had a much tougher schedule to this point last year.

2 weeks from today, I will be cheering this team on in a must win for our bowl hopes.

D Coordinator is just one of the problems. Not theeeee problem. Our offensive line is a disaster. Development at almost every position group has been minimal since last year. 

People bringing up 0-6 is laughable. We had no business being 0-6 last year. The Colorado, Troy, and NW games all should have been wins. That was just the beginning of the red flags. 

Hopefully they can right the ship. Because they aren’t going anywhere. But, there are a lot of cause for concern at this point. 

I just want to see progress.  This team is regressing during the year.  We are lucky we aren't 1 - 6 again.  We could have and probably should have lost to South Alabama,  Illinois,  and/or Northwestern.   I could take a loss against Minnesota,  if we looked competent.   Everyone from the staff to the players need a "Come to Jesus" moment during the bye week.  Let's focus on us.

Bye week thoughts.  So, I was thinking another famous alum of a school that had success before coming to his alma mater, Jim Harbaugh.  Michigan fans are starting to wonder if he is the right man for the job.  He is 43 - 15 following a coach who was 31 - 20.  But, no title appearances, while your rivals, (MSU and OSU) have 3 appearances in 4 years.  I kind of want others' thoughts.

Now, our team still frustrates me, but after looking at the participation chart for the Minnesota game, we are super young.  This team should be able to grow up, combine that with consistent top 20 classes, in a few years, we will have something.  We need the players to learn and improve, along with the coaches.

Edited by brfrad

18 hours ago, 49r said:

I have enforced a personal moratorium on even thinking about trying to assess Frost's abilities/state of the football program until at least year 4.  All I can do right now is hope the guys on the team are able to keep faith and not give up on the process.  As long as they do that I'm satisfied.

You may want to wait until year 5.  I'm afraid even if we somehow correct our issues, that year is going to be pretty brutal.

@Oklahoma

@Mich St

Ohio St

All back to back.  And then we also have Mich at home.  It's going to be tough sledding that year.  Hopefully Lincoln Riley decides to take the Cowboys job after this year. 

I just want to see progress. Which in terms of record, we will more than likely see. But the team that played the last 6 games of 2018 was much better than the team we have seen so far in 2019.

But its too early to tell if its talent, scheme, development, experience or anything else imo. 

3 hours ago, 49r said:

Maybe holding on for a win at Illinois isn't so embarrassing after all.

That win will go a long ways in Lovie Smith keeping his job. We think we have a long road ahead of us? If anyone is going to turn around Illinois its gonna take a solid 6-7 years to do so.

13 hours ago, khoock said:

That win will go a long ways in Lovie Smith keeping his job. We think we have a long road ahead of us? If anyone is going to turn around Illinois its gonna take a solid 6-7 years to do so.

To make it even more difficult for him, he was never a head coach in college.

I thought Chryst was a good coach, but how do you not run for 400 yards on Illinois with the best running back in the country.  I think their line is a little overrated. 

14 hours ago, khoock said:

Legend has it, Minnesota has been trying to turn around their program since 1960. Makes you wonder what "turning around" a program at Illinois looks like.