2019 Football Outlook

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I get that other players on other teams get better and improve as well, and it's not just our players who develop and get better over the course of their careers. I get that. But just because players on those teams are going to come back better than they were, it doesn't necessarily follow that the teams will be better than they were. The Big Ten doesn't get better and better with every passing year. There's a certain amount of stasis.

The difference is that, while I think we'll have individual players who are better than they were a year ago, and so will other teams, I also think our team will overall be better than it was a year ago. Bigly.

We'll find out over the course of the next 14 weeks or so. GBR

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

It’s game 2 of the Mel Tucker era, of a program he took over at rock bottom. 

Very ignorant to compare Bo Pelini to the Frost era and say that Frost and his staff makes Pelini look like Nick Saban. When in all actuality your are part of a group that, more than likely, drank the koolaid on a team that is destined for 7-8 wins.

Remember you said this now during years 4 and 5 of the Frost Era.

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

Very ignorant to compare Bo Pelini to the Frost era and say that Frost and his staff makes Pelini look like Nick Saban. When in all actuality your are part of a group that, more than likely, drank the koolaid on a team that is destined for 7-8 wins.

Remember you said this now during years 4 and 5 of the Frost Era.

Okay the Pelini thing was hyperbole. Still to get out coached by a 1st year head coach with 2 guys that were analysts last year at OC and DC is low. And I’ll stand by Hoiberg being our best Men’s coach over the next decade. 

9 minutes ago, khoock said:

Previous three posts are prob a little over dramatic. Its Game 14 of a program that had hit its "rock bottom".

We finished with an identical record as the "rock bottom" year.  We had better players than CU, Troy, Northwestern, and Iowa last year, yet they were losses.  This year, we have better players than CU.  Yet, we are 5 - 9 under this staff.  There is a time to start questioning the staff.  We gave up 31 points to Colorado in 16:21.

I really just want to see us not beat ourselves.  

2 minutes ago, brfrad said:

We finished with an identical record as the "rock bottom" year.  We had better players than CU, Troy, Northwestern, and Iowa last year, yet they were losses.  This year, we have better players than CU.  Yet, we are 5 - 9 under this staff.  There is a time to start questioning the staff.  We gave up 31 points to Colorado in 16:21.

I really just want to see us not beat ourselves.  

Just an incredible ignorant post.  We did not have better players tha,n Iowa last year.  They had 2 first round draft picks at tight end.  One who made a play to beat us.  We had no draft picks.  Our online sicks.  A bunch of pass blocking pussies recruited by a Riley.   CU's receivers are night and day better than ours exceotmJD.  Gonna take  a while to get enough players in here.  You have a ridiculously skewed  view of talent 

5 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Okay the Pelini thing was hyperbole. Still to get out coached by a 1st year head coach with 2 guys that were analysts last year at OC and DC is low. And I’ll stand by Hoiberg being our best Men’s coach over the next decade. 

I wouldnt say we were out-coached. Martinez and the O-Line made WAAYYYYY too many mistakes. Believe it or not, Frost isnt suiting up for the Big Red anymore.

8 minutes ago, HB said:

Just an incredible ignorant post.  We did not have better players tha,n Iowa last year.  They had 2 first round draft picks at tight end.  One who made a play to beat us.  We had no draft picks.  Our online sicks.  A bunch of pass blocking pussies recruited by a Riley.   CU's receivers are night and day better than ours exceotmJD.  Gonna take  a while to get enough players in here.  You have a ridiculously skewed  view of talent 

Their WR's are good.  Our DB's are way more talented than theirs.  Our LB's are more talented.  Our DL is more talented.  They probably are even on the O-Line.  We have the better RB's.  They are better at WR's.  QB's are probably even, given the age.  One's a RSSr, the other a true sophomore.  I am including the whole team, not one position.  Granted, Iowa may be a stretch.  They probably had the edge compared to the entire team.

16 minutes ago, khoock said:

I wouldnt say we were out-coached. Martinez and the O-Line made WAAYYYYY too many mistakes. Believe it or not, Frost isnt suiting up for the Big Red anymore.

Play calling was sooooo soft in the 2nd half. You cannot play to keep a 17 point lead. I think Frost is right coach for us, but in all honesty Hoiberg will drop our jaws before Frost will, and I believe that. 

I know it's 14 games in, but we have to figure out how to win games.  We should have put Colorado away.  They had no life, and all of a sudden we let them get a TD, and then it's like we never played football before.  Even last year, we struggled to put teams away.  NW we had 10 point lead with 5 minutes left.  Blow it.  Minnesota get out to a 28 - 0  lead in the 1st half.  Minnesota comes back to trim the lead to 28 - 22.  We did finally put them away.  Illinois gave us 5 turnovers.  MSU we found a way to win in terrible weather.  A sobering stat :  We have went 15 straight games with a turnover.  Fixing that will help this team leaps and bounds.

We need to get remarkably better in a hurry.  We have no games left on the schedule as sure wins.  

I'm not saying to fire Frost.  He still needs 2 - 3 more years.  I'm saying his coaching has to get better.

19 minutes ago, khoock said:

Scott Frost is only in his fourth season as a head coach (2nd at the P5 level). Sobering that he isnt perfect nor does he have it all figured out. Relax and give him his due time to fill out a roster from top to bottom and learn from rookie mistakes.

I get it and I agree for the most part. But the guy across the sideline is a 1st year head coach with amateur OC and DC. I love SF but as you indicated, he’s got a lot of learning to do. 

The preseason hype was ridiculous.  This team is better than last year, but we still have a long way to go.  We lack consistency, which is necessary for a team to make it to the great category.  We can and should be good, but goodness, Colorado recognized and jumped on our weaknesses.  If you listened to the broadcast, he told the reporter that they identified areas of opportunity and would make the adjustments to improve in the second half; and they did.  We adjusted, but not in a good way.

I was disappointed, but I was not surprised.  We will have some good wins this year, but the first half versus the second half differences may reappear several times this year.  Auroran is right, this will be a roller-coaster ride this season.

By the way...worth remembering the overbearing football preseason hype when addressing the basketball team this season.  Be prepared for a roller-coaster ride there as well.  

17 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

The preseason hype was ridiculous.  This team is better than last year, but we still have a long way to go.  We lack consistency, which is necessary for a team to make it to the great category.  We can and should be good, but goodness, Colorado recognized and jumped on our weaknesses.  If you listened to the broadcast, he told the reporter that they identified areas of opportunity and would make the adjustments to improve in the second half; and they did.  We adjusted, but not in a good way.

I was disappointed, but I was not surprised.  We will have some good wins this year, but the first half versus the second half differences may reappear several times this year.  Auroran is right, this will be a roller-coaster ride this season.

By the way...worth remembering the overbearing football preseason hype when addressing the basketball team this season.  Be prepared for a roller-coaster ride there as well.  

Basketball always seems to be a roller-coaster ride, and now football appears to on the same track: "ticket to ride." It's a board game, definitely not boring.

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yeah, seems likely the D was. And the O's 2nd half ineffectiveness contributed to be the D being hung out to dry.  That was the epitome of a disappointing end to a promising start.

As much time as the D was on the field the second half, they would have been that tired at sea level!