2019 Football Outlook

As I have said, over-hype sets very unfair expectations.  The most level headed expectation I heard set in the preseason was by Bill Moos who said he thought six wins would be a reasonable expectation...well, I think that is pretty good expectation.

But you know what, Ohio State is loaded with talent.  And you know what else, if we could have somewhat held this game close, we would have lost because Ohio State were heads and tails better than us on special teams.  Good grief, we were placed in a position to fair catch returnable kick-offs.  

We can still have a good season, we are better than last year, but we still are still in need of a lot of talent. 

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

As I have said, over-hype sets very unfair expectations.  The most level headed expectation I heard set in the preseason was by Bill Moos who said he thought six wins would be a reasonable expectation...well, I think that is pretty good expectation.

But you know what, Ohio State is loaded with talent.  And you know what else, if we could have somewhat held this game close, we would have lost because Ohio State were heads and tails better than us on special teams.  Good grief, we were placed in a position to fair catch returnable kick-offs.  

We can still have a good season, we are better than last year, but we still are still in need of a lot of talent. 

I don't see how this team is any different than 2019

Arkansas State 2017 -  Finished 7 - 5.  Squeaked out a victory when a pass to the end zone went incomplete.

South Alabama 2019 -  Currently 1 - 4.  Squeaked out a victory thanks to 3 non offensive touchdowns.

Oregon 2017 - Finished 7 - 6.  Got down big early.  Made a comeback.  Chance to win at the end.  Threw interception to end comeback attempt.

Colorado 2019 - Currently 3 - 1.  Blew big 2nd half lead.  Lost in OT

Northern Illinois  2017 - Finished 8 - 5.  Inexcusable loss to a MAC team

Northern Illinois 2019 - Currently 1 - 3.  Most complete game of the year.

Rutgers 2017 - Finished  4 - 8.  Won by 10 points 

Illinois 2019 - Currently 2 - 2.  Had to comeback against terrible team.

Illinois 2017 - Finished 2 - 10.  Most complete game of the year.

Ohio State 2019 - Currently 5 - 0.  Turd of a game.

Wisconsin 2017 - Finished 13 - 1.  Tied at 17 early in the 3rd quarter.  Wisconsin finished it.

Ohio State 2017 - Finished 12 - 2.  No chance to win.  Down big at halftime.

Purdue 2017 - Finished 7 - 6.  Came through with a huge drive at the end.

Northwestern 2017 - Finished 10 - 3.  Had a very good chance to win, but threw huge interception with a chance to go up 10 early in the 4th quarter.  Lose in OT

Minnesota 2017 - Finished 5 - 7.  Rock bottom blow out

Penn State 2017 - Finished 11 - 2.  Got down big tried to comeback.  Too big of a hole.

Iowa 2017 - Finished 8 - 5.  Tied at half.  Iowa took over 2nd half.

Why do some fans have more faith Frost will turn it around compared to Riley?  I agreed Riley had to be fired and Frost was the most logical choice.  Just curious what the difference between the two are?

Frost is 6 - 11 against Power 5 schools.

Remaining schedule with the way we are playing looks daunting.  Northwestern is a must win for any bowl hopes.  Kind of sad.  

6 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Don't you think that kids can see what the program is going to be in the long haul?

Honestly, yes.  I do.  That was kind of sarcastic.  As much as it sucks the way that the game played out, the kids see a heck of a lot more than the game.  I’ve heard that Frost is someone who people want to play for.  I know they see that there is opportunity for playing time as well.  While the game sucked in terms of outcome, it was an AMAZING weekend to have recruits on campus.  

3 hours ago, brfrad said:

I don't see how this team is any different than 2019

Arkansas State 2017 -  Finished 7 - 5.  Squeaked out a victory when a pass to the end zone went incomplete.

South Alabama 2019 -  Currently 1 - 4.  Squeaked out a victory thanks to 3 non offensive touchdowns.

Oregon 2017 - Finished 7 - 6.  Got down big early.  Made a comeback.  Chance to win at the end.  Threw interception to end comeback attempt.

Colorado 2019 - Currently 3 - 1.  Blew big 2nd half lead.  Lost in OT

Northern Illinois  2017 - Finished 8 - 5.  Inexcusable loss to a MAC team

Northern Illinois 2019 - Currently 1 - 3.  Most complete game of the year.

Rutgers 2017 - Finished  4 - 8.  Won by 10 points 

Illinois 2019 - Currently 2 - 2.  Had to comeback against terrible team.

Illinois 2017 - Finished 2 - 10.  Most complete game of the year.

Ohio State 2019 - Currently 5 - 0.  Turd of a game.

Wisconsin 2017 - Finished 13 - 1.  Tied at 17 early in the 3rd quarter.  Wisconsin finished it.

Ohio State 2017 - Finished 12 - 2.  No chance to win.  Down big at halftime.

Purdue 2017 - Finished 7 - 6.  Came through with a huge drive at the end.

Northwestern 2017 - Finished 10 - 3.  Had a very good chance to win, but threw huge interception with a chance to go up 10 early in the 4th quarter.  Lose in OT

Minnesota 2017 - Finished 5 - 7.  Rock bottom blow out

Penn State 2017 - Finished 11 - 2.  Got down big tried to comeback.  Too big of a hole.

Iowa 2017 - Finished 8 - 5.  Tied at half.  Iowa took over 2nd half.

Why do some fans have more faith Frost will turn it around compared to Riley?  I agreed Riley had to be fired and Frost was the most logical choice.  Just curious what the difference between the two are?

Frost is 6 - 11 against Power 5 schools.

Remaining schedule with the way we are playing looks daunting.  Northwestern is a must win for any bowl hopes.  Kind of sad.  

I am not in the camp that believe that by simply hiring Frost, our program will return to prominence.  But I am in the camp that believes that any coach we would have hired could not wave the magic wand and amp up the talent that we need to compete at the highest level.  I do however, believe Frost has the skill set/coaching chops to get the right players and the right system in place.  It simply will take time and the recruitment of talent.  

As mentioned above, Ohio State has an incredible two-deep.  They are stocked with four and five star players and then they are coached up.  We are bereft of that type of talent and have been for fifteen years (+/-).  Ohio State's offensive and defensive fronts were so much more talented...it was hard to stomach.  

9 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Yeah we have, we got a 5 dollar credit. We went to Hulu until dish gets the big ten network comes on.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks!  I’m calling on Monday.  Really the only reason we got the package we did was for the sports channels.  Specifically BTN.  So I’m a little livid that it’s been over a week.

14 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Frost at this level looks way overmatched.  Our OL can't block, our WR's can't get open, our RB's can't find a hole if it's there.  Our DL is getting pushed around by an average Minnesota team, our LB's and safeties can't tackle.  I shudder to think what Iowa and Wisconsin are going to do to us.

You seriously have no clue whatsoever about football.  Riley wrecked the program.   Absolutely detstroyed it.  It's gonna take time.  You can't turn around in 2 seasons when every aspect of t he origami is shit.  Culture was terrible and talent level was pathetic.  So blame a Frost all you want; you've been doing it since day 1.   Crawl into a hole you clueless bastard.   

3 minutes ago, HB said:

You seriously have no clue whatsoever about football.  Riley wrecked the program.   Absolutely detstroyed it.  It's gonna take time.  You can't turn around in 2 seasons when every aspect of t he origami is shit.  Culture was terrible and talent level was pathetic.  So blame a Frost all you want; you've been doing it since day 1.   Crawl into a hole you clueless bastard.   

Mods is this acceptable? Internet tough guy is going all Pelini.

Also, lol at blaming Riley for this shit show. This is Frost’s program now. He needs to own it.  He like his team, looks clueless right now. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

1 minute ago, HB said:

I don't care what year you are in a program.  Minnesota is a paper tiger, and they are boatracing us now.  We are committing stupid penalty after stupid penalty.  We have an OL that cannot get a push or pass protect.  We have WR's who can't beat their man off the line and get open.  We have one true freshmen who is a stud that can make plays when nothing is there.  We have a QB who does not look confident.  We have a DL getting pushed 10 yards down field.  We have LB's and safties who can't tackle.  This team looks no different than we did in 2017.  BTW, I thought and am willing to give Frost 4 years, but everything I have seen to this point doesn't give me much hope.

I thought this team could challenge for the west title this year based on their play from the last half of the season, but we are hoping and praying to make a bowl game this year.

21 minutes ago, HB said:

I played and coached football at a higher level then most. And I freaking hate this attitude. Look Frost deserves more time, years worth of more time. Blame Riley for little talent, but the poor effort and poor discipline is on Frost, and he needs to fix it. 

32 minutes ago, HB said:

Riley had a team that was 7 - 0 in his 2nd year, and ranked # 8.  Lost to Wisconsin in OT.  Then, it went downhill.

Minnesota rushing stats this year

vs. SDSU             42 - 132      3.1 YPC

vs. Fresno State 52 - 146     2.8 YPC

vs. Georgia South 48 - 93    1.9 YPC

vs. Purdue            34 - 92      2.7 YPC

vs. Illinois           52 - 332      6.4 YPC (we ran for 363 yards against them)

vs. Nebraska     49 - 322      6.6 YPC