2019 Football Outlook

I am insanely excited for this season to begin.

QB: Adrian Martinez need i say more; looks to have great depth behind him also

RB: Dedrick Mills and Maurice Washington would be quiet the 1-2 punch. But Mo has his off the field issues. Not sure how I feel about the options behind him quite yet

WR: JD Speilman and a whole lotta unproven guys. As with RB theres alot of bodies but we need play makers to step up. It was no coincidence they went out and got a grad transfer receiver

OL: Tackles seem set; still waiting for the interior linemen to starters to emerge

DL: Lots of bodies and lots of talent. This could be a 7-8 man deep line we roll out this year

LB: Solid starters inside and reasons to be optimistic outside. However, not a lot of depth and a lot of youth isnt usually a good recipe

DB: A great mix of returning experience and young incoming talent. Should be a position of strength

K/P: Kicking is gonna be a strength. If a drive stalls inside the 30 (hopefully not too many) Pickering will get us three points. Punting is TBD, Isaac Armstrong was solid in replacing Lightbourne midseason

• 2 weeks later...

The internet is sometimes wrong, but I read on the internet today that Trent Hixson, a walk-on offensive lineman from Omaha Skutt, was awarded a scholarship and has earned the starting nod for the season opener.

I also read on the internet that Cam Jurgens is healthy and appears to have won the nod to start at center over the younger Farniok brother.

What does it say about Mike Riley's actual recruiting when, in year 2 of Scott Frost, a sophomore walk-on and a redshirt freshman recruited as a TE are going to make up 40% of your starting offensive line?

Holy schmick.

Edited by Norm Peterson

Cam Jurgens most be something real special or the other options are pretty low. Missed most of the summer and parts of fall camp just to come back and be #1 right away. Its not like he is some seasoned vet.

But I guess if youre getting comparisons to Dave Rimmington, youre probably pretty good.

20 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Youth Movement: Here's what our presumable starting lineup looks like on the offensive side of the ball, from an eligibility perspective:

QB - Soph

RB - Jr/Soph

X - Soph?

Y - Frosh?

Z - Jr

TE - Jr

OL - Jr

OL - Jr

C - RFr

OL - Soph

OL - Jr

Are. You. Kidding. Me.

It'd be something to bring back a starting 11 next year on O.

Journal-Star's projected depth chart has Kanawai Noa as the starter at one of the WR spots with Jaron Woodyard as his backup. Both seniors. Those are the ONLY two seniors projected as starters/reserves on the 2-deep depth chart on offense. If they're right, that means, if Spielman doesn't turn pro and no one transfers, we'll return 20 of 22 players on the 2-deep for offense? From an offense we expect to be pretty good this year? Unreal.

I have a simple hope...that is, we live up to the hype.  Over the last twenty years I have heard and read a lot of hype that didn't pan out.  Tanner Lee was supposed to be an All-Pro type of QB, right?

But this year seems a bit different.   We should have a much improved team.  But we are in a major conference with a lot of great players and teams.  So, others have improved as well, and others are going to be better this year as well.  We need to play our collective a**es off, and we have to hope for no key injuries, we have to significantly cut stupid penalties/mistakes and we have to win the turnover margin for the first time (in what seems like) two decades.  

But all that said,  I think we go 8-4 or better.  

I get that other players on other teams get better and improve as well, and it's not just our players who develop and get better over the course of their careers. I get that. But just because players on those teams are going to come back better than they were, it doesn't necessarily follow that the teams will be better than they were. The Big Ten doesn't get better and better with every passing year. There's a certain amount of stasis.

The difference is that, while I think we'll have individual players who are better than they were a year ago, and so will other teams, I also think our team will overall be better than it was a year ago. Bigly.