Finally. A Small, Little Husker Hoops Fix

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Agreed. It is as if adidas isn't in this partnership for maximizing their investment -- which is weird?!

Personally, I don't have any strong feelings about the Herbie basketball logo one way or the other. This might not be popular with some of the old school basketball fans on the board that have strong feelings for the logo but it doesn't scream "youth." Athletes don't chose Oregon strictly for the multiple Nike uniforms but it certainly doesn't hurt. I could be wrong, but I don't see that logo being attractive to the athletes we want to attract or having a large appeal nationally to an adult audience either. It's nostalgic, I get that and but I don't see it spreading Nebraska's national brand or leading to much larger profits for Adidas. 

2 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

... but it doesn't scream "youth." Athletes don't chose Oregon strictly for the multiple Nike uniforms but it certainly doesn't hurt.

I see the Oregon Duck logo in the same vein as Herbie (retro/cartoony), and Oregon has no problems using the Duck to spread their brand. Classic Herbie can definitely be presented in a way that is attractive to young recruits and adults alike. It can also come off as hokey, if executed poorly.

oregon-vs-msu.jpg

4 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:
15 hours ago, hhcdave said:

I don't understand for the life of me why you STILL can't get the t-shirt Hoiberg is wearing above in a variety of colors. I've seen the hat but never the shirt. Unreal. They'd sell like hot cakes.

Agreed. It is as if adidas isn't in this partnership for maximizing their investment -- which is weird?!

As much as I agree that they could make a sizeable dent in revenue from some niche apparel, Adidas makes many investment decisions around economies of scale by standardizing designs across universities.

1 hour ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

I see the Oregon Duck logo in the same vein as Herbie (retro/cartoony), and Oregon has no problems using the Duck to spread their brand. Classic Herbie can definitely be presented in a way that is attractive to young recruits and adults alike. It can also come off as hokey, if executed poorly.

oregon-vs-msu.jpg

That's part of the multiple, multiple uniforms that Oregon uses. If the logo on the helmet in black and white were all that was on a t-shirt, I don't think most people nationwide would be able to identify it as being from Oregon University. The O is what is nationally recognized by the masses, beyond series college football fans. When you have Micheal Knight as an alumni then you can spend money on things like the duck without worrying about the profit margin. It's a way to sell the brand to younger athletes. Nebraska doesn't have that luxury and my guess is that Adidas doesn't see Herbie/basketball as a money maker. Though I haven't spent any time or money on market research so I admit maybe I'm misjudging Herbie.

22 hours ago, hhcdave said:

I don't understand for the life of me why you STILL can't get the t-shirt Hoiberg is wearing above in a variety of colors. I've seen the hat but never the shirt. Unreal. They'd sell like hot cakes.

I got the shirt in grey from scheels earlier this year.

2 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

ff_2455269alt1_full.jpg&w=600

And Michael Knight never went to Nebraska. Oregon can pretty much afford anything they want without worrying about profit or loss. And still don't think most of America could tell you that shirt was connected to Oregon University. Could be wrong...

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

image.png

I swear I saw somebody driving K.I.T.T. down I-80 between York and Seward once though...

So I’m old and confused. My point is still the Adidas brother’s never went to school here so profit and loss play a much bigger part in the companies decisions when it come to Nebraska then it does with Nike and Oregon. 

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

This thread is loaded.

Herbie spinning a basketball.  The efficacy of duck logos.  Insulation properties of Tyvek®.  And men of a certain age looking like dorks.

It's the off-season, amiright?

I believe we have arrived at peak offseason. 

On 6/26/2019 at 6:54 PM, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

You wanna talk nostalgia? Look at this bad boy... nothing says "quality garment" like Tyvek®...

vintage-90s-phillips-66-big.png

That Phillips 66/Big 8 logo is incredible. It’s Saturday..Studio 66 should be coming onto your local ESPN+ station very soon to preview today’s doubleheader.