Brent C. Wagner column on husker wbb...

whoopdeedoo

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/husker-women-investing-in-better-season-in-hopes-of-returning/article_9eacaa00-daed-59d0-bea0-501111eab9a0.html

Bourne will join team in Spain, but, will not be able to play 'cause she will not have been through required medical evaluation.

hopefully, hannah will not have another slow start.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

New season... new squad really.  Let's start over to some extent, but build on last year. There were improvements in several areas. Less turn overs, improved free throw shooting, etc. But searched for scoring and defense sometimes. Maybe everyone can contribute more points this year, and defend the hoop.

Coach at one point after the season said she would/could have done a some things differently. Never heard what that was. Anybody ?

On paper this seems to be a good team, talented, with a diverse array of position players. Those coming back will be a year wiser and more mature. Probably earned a lot from the off and on last year.  Expect the sophomores to excel this season... had lots of playing time last season as freshmen.

Four (3+1) newbies to blend in with the team. Would be nice to have our Aussie play with us this summer. So we'll see how that works out. With her experience she may jump right in with both feet..never miss a beat this fall.. Expect us to be better in the paint. More experienced interior position players...and Bourne.

All in all...very optimistic. Really see us taking steps forward. From what I've heard and read the kids seem to be really hungry to change what happened last year.

Edited by redsteve

Included in the article in the OP.:

Hudson plays again: Senior Kristian Hudson has been approved for a medical hardship and will play this season. She was a graduate transfer from Florida International, but had season-ending foot surgery after playing in seven games.

I haven't seen this directly addressed before, but Happy to see Kristian Hudson return for another go.  Her experience may have made a difference in last season's outcome had she not been injured at the beginning of the season.

Not only due the women's basketball players on the team need to have the desire to play better, the coaches need to get going to have better teaching and results in a number of areas:  Defense efforts were lacking at times; too many silly turnovers occurred last year so better attention to passing and ball security are needed;  better shot selection needs to occur to include being ready for a good quick shot when that is possible (versus some of their horse shots); better press breaking schemes need to occur as was reflected late in the season; offensive schemes were sketchy to include lack of getting Kate involved consistently;  someone needs to do better work with Kate to develop her skills (no real improvement from year 1 to year 2 for her);  and offensive rebounding needs to occur with better schemes and results.  Therefore,  unless the coaches up their efforts to coach the team up, likely another frustrating year will occur!

On 6/21/2019 at 9:06 AM, Redhac said:

Not only due the women's basketball players on the team need to have the desire to play better, the coaches need to get going to have better teaching and results in a number of areas:  Defense efforts were lacking at times; too many silly turnovers occurred last year so better attention to passing and ball security are needed;  better shot selection needs to occur to include being ready for a good quick shot when that is possible (versus some of their horse shots); better press breaking schemes need to occur as was reflected late in the season; offensive schemes were sketchy to include lack of getting Kate involved consistently;  someone needs to do better work with Kate to develop her skills (no real improvement from year 1 to year 2 for her);  and offensive rebounding needs to occur with better schemes and results.  Therefore,  unless the coaches up their efforts to coach the team up, likely another frustrating year will occur!

Can't argue with the points you've made.  With the exception of Nicea, the returning players did not show improvement last year.  Development, this off season, is huge.  Also, judging from threads on this site, several opposing teams are killing it on the recruiting trail.  Huge job ahead, for this staff, to be competitive in the BIG.  I hope they are up to the task.  

Edited by 12dozen

On 6/21/2019 at 9:06 AM, Redhac said:

Agreed, especially with passing and defense.  Though defense was not just about effort sometimes it was scheme and the importance of assignment understanding.  ie (all 5 collapse leaving the best 3 point shooters to there lonesome) another big issue to me was switching on the dribble penetration.  I get so frustrated when the dribbler beating there man means an automatic uncontested layup which I saw too often in too many games.  Finally on the defensive side of the ball, boxing out which by the way is the biggest issue team wide as I see it.  This why I love watching Miss Mershon, she rocks in this catagory.  Offensively passing is the word.  Explain to me why we have by percentage the best 3 point shooter in the land and we are only getting 4 or 5 looks a game.  I do not buy into the cannot create own shot as much as I buy into ball rotation.  Good passing is the only way to get good ball rotation.

What disappointed me last season, as has been pointed out above, is the lack of improvement from the previous year.  I was so encouraged with the progress made from Amy year one to Amy year two.  But seemed to me that that is where the improvement stopped.  Kate in particular was the same player and perhaps even less effective in her second year as she was in her first. 

There seems to be be some concern about continued  improvement into the coming season.

I too...expect improvement.....for numerous reasons already delineated in my above post. 

If improvement doesn't seem to occur by early regular season, after the 4 new players get their feet on the ground,....then I will also re-evaluate. 

Until then ....lets all relax...and see things through our rose colored glasses  :)

Edited by redsteve

Although, I have concerns at times;

I expect we will be improved.  Mostly, because of the 2nd year players.  These are Amy's recruits.  They obviously have, what coach was looking for in players.  Just my view, but I think this bunch is above average in competitiveness and self motivation, not to mention skill level.  There is no reason to believe, the incoming kids aren't made of the same stuff. It takes time to build the type of depth, where playing time isn't a given.   Seems to be the direction we are headed.  

GBR

Edited by 12dozen