Our Draft Drought

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I thought that's what we all agreed.  If he got a combine invite, he could come back even after May 20whatever so long as he didn't get drafted.

Was that not the case?

The NCAA passed rules for this pending the NBA doing the same thing. The NBA hasn't yet. Thus, the deadline was 10 days after the combine.

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

The NCAA passed rules for this pending the NBA doing the same thing. The NBA hasn't yet. Thus, the deadline was 10 days after the combine.

I think he could've still gone back to school (since the NCAA's rules apply in that situation). It's just that the NBA hasn't agreed to not offer him a contract in the middle of the college basketball season. Since the NBA hasn't made restrictions on that, I think everyone kind of agrees that scenario would be less-than-optimal for all involved.

6 hours ago, Red Don said:

Sorta. Since he was traded, he won't be able to join the team until the moratorium ends on July 6th. So that will likely impact how much he plays.

I wasn't surprised by Langford's high draft position.  The kid could/can ball, but he seemed to be hurt or played while hurting.  A bit like Isaiah.  I am not sure we saw a completely healthy Isaiah until the second half of last year.

That said...I am unsure how Copeland is doing with his rehab, but I hope he is given a chance sometime in the near future to show his game.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:07 PM, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

I think he could've still gone back to school (since the NCAA's rules apply in that situation). It's just that the NBA hasn't agreed to not offer him a contract in the middle of the college basketball season. Since the NBA hasn't made restrictions on that, I think everyone kind of agrees that scenario would be less-than-optimal for all involved.

No because the rules of the NCAA are written as pending the NBA.

There are like 45 underclassmen who didn't get drafted and at least half would love to come back. They can't because those are the current rules.

It would seem like this would provide some impetus for the NBA to go ahead and change their rules, since this seems like the only impediment.  I'm sure (most of) the respective schools (and their fans) would like to have their undrafted players back if they wanted to return, just as we would welcome Roby back had he not been drafted.

Edited by Red Don

On 6/23/2019 at 12:50 PM, hhcmatt said:

No because the rules of the NCAA are written as pending the NBA.

Later on, I looked into this further (should've done that before posting) and saw that it hadn't been enacted. The story I read months ago (which I don't believe I found) outlined it as if it was an existing gap between the two organizations' rules, and not something that would be triggered once the NBA took action. From the search results I saw, there seems to be a lot of confusion over this legislation.

On 6/23/2019 at 1:34 PM, Red Don said:

I'm sure (most of) the respective schools (and their fans) would like to have their undrafted players back if they wanted to return

Personally, if I felt good enough to jump to the NBA, I'd likely feel as though college had gotten me as far as it could. At that point, you might as well just start making money, wherever that may be.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:10 PM, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

Sorta. Since he was traded, he won't be able to join the team until the moratorium ends on July 6th. So that will likely impact how much he plays.

Well, scratch that. The trade was made official a couple days ago, and wasn't affected by the moratorium. So Isaiah will fully participate in practice leading up to summer league and all games. Meanwhile Anthony Davis is still officially a Pelican, but participating in free agent recruiting meetings with the Lakers. Okwut?

Hey @cipsucks, what were you saying about Mrs Cip's rules?