2021 C Wilhelm Breidenbach - LOI

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Breidenbach and his famed high school basketball program is currently in Portland playing in a holiday invitational tournament.  His school easily has 5 high major prospects on the team including 5 star Kentucky PG commit Devin Askew.  

I would say he's roughly 6'9'' with shoes.  He does not look like your typical basketball player but I definitely see why Hoiberg and company like him.  While the team doing pre-game shoot around he spent the majority of his time shooting free throws and making probably 90%.  He's got an extremely easy shot without many moving parts which is nice to see from a "big man".

In the game he was a true hustler.  He was running hard both on defense and offense, he was the guy calling out everything on defense, he was diving for loose balls on the floor, and battled in the paint.  He only attempted one 3 in the game and missed it but made a decent amount in pre-game.  He was skilled for a big man with his passing abilities and has good hands receiving the ball.  He was extremely limited when he put the ball on the floor though but that can be expected.

All in all he had 16 points and was 4/4 from the line with probably 7 rebounds and a couple blocked shots.  For as deep as his team is he's very much the number two to their 5 star PG and is probably why those two were the captains.  You could also see the respect his teammates have for him as they made sure in warmups he would get his "change" even when he didn't make a shot.

He would definitely fit the mold of big that Fred employs and is very cerebral on the court, which one would expect from a guy that's considered Stanford and has Ivy League offers.  I really hope he's N come next November.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Looks like Stanford and Nebraska are high on the list

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/01/06/wilhelm-breidenbach-says-three-schools-working-hardest/

Will he join us, Max Murrell, or somewhere else?

I was thinking he seems like a Max Murrell clone. Hope he chooses us over the team with a tree for a mascot.

• 3 months later...
On 12/26/2019 at 11:00 PM, TheKamdyMan said:
Breidenbach and his famed high school basketball program is currently in Portland playing in a holiday invitational tournament.  His school easily has 5 high major prospects on the team including 5 star Kentucky PG commit Devin Askew.  

I would say he's roughly 6'9'' with shoes.  He does not look like your typical basketball player but I definitely see why Hoiberg and company like him.  While the team doing pre-game shoot around he spent the majority of his time shooting free throws and making probably 90%.  He's got an extremely easy shot without many moving parts which is nice to see from a "big man".

In the game he was a true hustler.  He was running hard both on defense and offense, he was the guy calling out everything on defense, he was diving for loose balls on the floor, and battled in the paint.  He only attempted one 3 in the game and missed it but made a decent amount in pre-game.  He was skilled for a big man with his passing abilities and has good hands receiving the ball.  He was extremely limited when he put the ball on the floor though but that can be expected.

All in all he had 16 points and was 4/4 from the line with probably 7 rebounds and a couple blocked shots.  For as deep as his team is he's very much the number two to their 5 star PG and is probably why those two were the captains.  You could also see the respect his teammates have for him as they made sure in warmups he would get his "change" even when he didn't make a shot.

He would definitely fit the mold of big that Fred employs and is very cerebral on the court, which one would expect from a guy that's considered Stanford and has Ivy League offers.  I really hope he's N come next November.

Thanks for the report.  Love getting first hand observations.    Sounds like he would be a great fit.   I like the way he crashes the boards and attacks as a trailer.   That can make him effective offensively against B1G competition  because if he doesn't have the strength to hold position down low then he can pick his spots & attack from outside in, which also is a fit in Hoiberg's scheme.   He also shows some touch with semi jump hook shots off the bank board.  Good to use the bank board above the block.   Looks like a natural. 

Edited by REDitus

5 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

This is no diss to any of our current bigs - but if his guy is as advertised and can physically withstand D1 ball - he's our best big  when he steps on campus. 

Only problem currently is he is VERY VERY skinny. Not quite heiman skinny but still. His skill is high though for a big

On 12/26/2019 at 11:00 PM, TheKamdyMan said:

If Stanford is a major competitor against us - him reclassifying would really  help our chances. Because Stanford got the kid from Millard North.