Italy Trip

khoock

We begin practice for our summer workouts on Saturday. With the trip to Italy we get 10 extra practices. Hopefully with the excitement of the new hire, the team will get some extra coverage over the summer. I thought we could make a thread to keep all the coverage and discussion of the team leading up to and during the trip all in one place.

We know that Yvan Ouedraogo wont be with the team during the trip. I believe Derrick Walker and Dalano Banton will not play during the trip even if they are eligible. It makes no sense for them to play since they arent eligible for this upcoming season anyway.

That leaves us with 10 scholarship players (Cheatham, Kavas, Burke, Green, Thorbjarnarson, Mack, Stevenson, Arop, Cross, and Curtis) and 3 walkons (Porter, Easley, and Piatkowski) available for the four or five games.

4 hours ago, khoock said:

We begin practice for our summer workouts on Saturday. With the trip to Italy we get 10 extra practices. Hopefully with the excitement of the new hire, the team will get some extra coverage over the summer. I thought we could make a thread to keep all the coverage and discussion of the team leading up to and during the trip all in one place.

We know that Yvan Ouedraogo wont be with the team during the trip. I believe Derrick Walker and Dalano Banton will not play during the trip even if they are eligible. It makes no sense for them to play since they arent eligible for this upcoming season anyway.

That leaves us with 10 scholarship players (Cheatham, Kavas, Burke, Green, Thorbjarnarson, Mack, Stevenson, Arop, Cross, and Curtis) and 3 walkons (Porter, Easley, and Piatkowski) available for the four or five games.

Have you heard names of players who are actually in town and ready/available for practice?  It'd be nice to know who was all here.

Also, does Stevenson need a waiver to be able to play in Italy?  I assume they all can practice even if they can't play.

2 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Will any of these games be available via a streaming service? I can’t imagine any local broadcasts will send over a crew (not unless Scott Frost is going) but hopefully we’ll get beat writers from the OWH/LJS to keep us apprised...

With budget cuts in the print media industry, there is no chance in Creighton either one of them send a writer to Italy.  We'll have to depend on wire service reports.

36 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Have you heard names of players who are actually in town and ready/available for practice?  It'd be nice to know who was all here.

All three walkons, Burke, Thorbjarnarson, and someone else mentioned Banton and Walker being on campus. Hoiberg said we will have 11 players (out of 16) here for the first part of summer workouts. So there are four more names unaccounted for, one of which we know wont be Yvan Ouedraogo.

Edited by khoock

All three walkons, Burke, Thorbjarnarson, and someone else mentioned Banton and Walker being on campus. Hoiberg said we will have 11 players (out of 16) here for the first part of summer workouts. So there are four more names unaccounted for, one of which we know wont be Yvan Ouedraogo.

Kavas and Cheatham are finishing up their degrees from their respective schools before coming to town

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Jervay, Walker and Cross are in Lincoln and have been participating in workouts all week. As of yesterday, Stevenson, Banton and Mack weren't in Lincoln yet.

Update: You're correct @khoock, Banton is on campus

Edited by millerhusker

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Also, does Stevenson need a waiver to be able to play in Italy?  I assume they all can practice even if they can't play.

Here is Jacob P's article with Fred partially answering the whose in town question.

https://hailvarsity.com/s/7064/its-time-to-get-to-work-for-fred-hoiberg-and-nebraska-basketball

9 hours ago, khoock said:

I believe Derrick Walker and Dalano Banton will not play during the trip even if they are eligible. It makes no sense for them to play since they arent eligible for this upcoming season anyway.

I think the rules* state that if the player has to sit out the following semester, they have to sit out the trip. So unless they get Stevenson approved I think he may have to sit as well.

* Going totally off the memory of skimming through this rule several weeks ago. I could go check, but ...

5 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Will any of these games be available via a streaming service? I can’t imagine any local broadcasts will send over a crew (not unless Scott Frost is going) but hopefully we’ll get beat writers from the OWH/LJS to keep us apprised...

I guess I'll take one for the team. Let's all pool our money together, buy me a ticket and pay for my international phone and data plan and I'll film all the games for us. I hate it when I draw the short straw!

13 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I guess I'll take one for the team. Let's all pool our money together, buy me a ticket and pay for my international phone and data plan and I'll film all the games for us. I hate it when I draw the short straw!

If these were open to the public (??) it wouldn't be a terrible idea. Flights to Italy are super cheap right now, and there are a ton of schools doing one of these trips this year. It would be during the seasonal lull, but a hoophead would have plenty of "sights" to see.

Here's a list of some of the teams going to Italy (there are even more going to Europe, in general):

Baylor 8/14 – 8/24
BYU 8/16 – 8/26
Clemson 6/29 – 7/13
DePaul 8/3 – 8/14
Houston 8/8 – 8/17
Illinois 8/4 – 8/14
Iowa State 8/10 – 8/20
Miami (FL) 8/9 – 8/18
Minnesota 8/3 – 8/13
Nebraska 8/3 – 8/13
Northern Iowa 8/1 – 8/11
Northwestern 8/19 – 8/31
Pittsburgh 8/5 – 8/14
Seton Hall 8/7 – 8/16
Stanford 8/18 – 8/27
Syracuse 8/10 – 8/20
Washington 8/12 – 8/22

Edited by Searching 4 Chester Surles

• 2 weeks later...

So, according to the official Husker twitter account and the video posted, it appears we're playing a Lithuanian team twice, on consecutive days, sandwiched in between Stella Azzurra Academy (which I assume is Italian for "Blue Star Academy") and the Italian Select program.  Games are on 8/5, 8/7, 8/8, and 8/12.  So, between game 3 and game 4, there's going to be plenty of time for some sight-seeing.

Looks like the sites are roughly Rome, Florence and Milan.  Just making some assumptions.