Italy Trip

khoock

Point totals from the trip: Dachon Burke 53, Haanif Cheatham 47, Jervay Green 33, Samari Curtis 33, Shamiel Stevenson 31, Matej Kavas 28, Kevin Cross 27, Dalano Banton 23, Thorir Thorbjarnarson 21, Charlie Easley 21

Some other notes:

- Matej Kavas is the only player who started all four games; Haanif Cheatham and Jervay Green each started three a piece 

- Dalano Banton and Charlie Easley are the only players who played in every game but did not start in any

- Nine different players scored in double figures during the course of the trip led by Dachon Burke who did so in all four

7 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Good, great, bad, and ugly:

No idea if it means anything but Hoiberg is asked on his thoughts about the freshmen. He talks about Cross and Curtis and their play. He also mentions how they have yet to see Yvan or Mack on a court yet. No mention of Akol Arop who is fits under both the categories of freshman and not yet stepped on the court for a game. Weird.

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

No idea if it means anything but Hoiberg is asked on his thoughts about the freshmen. He talks about Cross and Curtis and their play. He also mentions how they have yet to see Yvan or Mack on a court yet. No mention of Akol Arop who is fits under both the categories of freshman and not yet stepped on the court for a game. Weird.

Well, I'd speculate that Hoiberg either forgot to mention Akol Arop or the plan all along is to redshirt him. Freddy also had difficulty pronouncing the name of a lake, too. Overall his comments seemed to be slightly encouraging that the team is bonding & looking to improve on where they've started. I can't wait to see them on Sept. 27th.

12 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Well, I'd speculate that Hoiberg either forgot to mention Akol Arop or the plan all along is to redshirt him. Freddy also had difficulty pronouncing the name of a lake, too. Overall his comments seemed to be slightly encouraging that the team is bonding & looking to improve on where they've started. I can't wait to see them on Sept. 27th.

Yeah also I guess he has seen Akol already since he participated in the practices leading up to the trip. Whereas Mack was unable to and Ouedraogo was not on campus. 

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Yeah also I guess he has seen Akol already since he participated in the practices leading up to the trip. Whereas Mack was unable to and Ouedraogo was not on campus. 

That's the way I took it. He's seen Akol in practice but Cam Mack got sick right after he got eligible, so he and Yvan are a couple of a guys they haven't seen on the floor yet.

19 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Fred Hoiberg seems to disagree.

Not necessarily.  They have been friends for a long time and sometimes it's easier to hire people you know as opposed to the best coaches out there. 

Overall coaching record of 205 - 201 (.505%)  = Average Coach

29 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Not necessarily.  They have been friends for a long time and sometimes it's easier to hire people you know as opposed to the best coaches out there. 

Overall coaching record of 205 - 201 (.505%)  = Average Coach

I could swear while he was still the head coach here, you'd go on about how you were a big fan of his. Do I remember that right? If so, what changed?

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I could swear while he was still the head coach here, you'd go on about how you were a big fan of his. Do I remember that right? If so, what changed?

I probably was in the beginning based on his 2 years at UTEP but looking back, he was handed a very good team.  Doc is a very likeable guy, just like Coach Miles, so hard not to pull for someone like that but at the end of the day, the results didn't live up to expectations.  It was just one season after another of disappointment.  When you look back at his time at NU, he wasn't a great recruiter, wasn't able to put together a very good staff, and played a boring style of ball.  He might be a better assistant than he is a head coach but harder to judge that. 

Just now, kldm64 said:

I probably was in the beginning based on his 2 years at UTEP but looking back, he was handed a very good team.  Doc is a very likeable guy, just like Coach Miles, so hard not to pull for someone like that but at the end of the day, the results didn't live up to expectations.  It was just one season after another of disappointment.  When you look back at his time at NU, he wasn't a great recruiter, wasn't able to put together a very good staff, and played a boring style of ball.  He might be a better assistant than he is a head coach but harder to judge that. 

Coaches around college basketball think very highly of Doc. Miles was a better recruiter and program manager here, but Doc can coach circles around him on both ends of the court. Now he'll be able to focus solely on what he specializes in (and what Bill f'in Self hired him for) - defense. I don't think it's a stretch to say he's a good hire as an assistant coach. 

57 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I probably was in the beginning based on his 2 years at UTEP but looking back, he was handed a very good teamDoc is a very likeable guy, just like Coach Miles, so hard not to pull for someone like that but at the end of the day, the results didn't live up to expectations.  It was just one season after another of disappointment.  When you look back at his time at NU, he wasn't a great recruiter, wasn't able to put together a very good staff, and played a boring style of ball.  He might be a better assistant than he is a head coach but harder to judge that. 

Honestly, I'm stunned that you would say this. I know you've been around the program awhile. You're not a new fan. This is maybe the most factually inaccurate thing you've ever said on this board. Ever. Perhaps you just don't have a good memory. Let's take a little trip down memory lane, shall we?

When Doc was hired in August 2006, the program was an absolute dumpster fire.  To me, that summer when Barry Collier quit was absolute rock bottom. People talk about rock bottom during the Miles era, but nothing that happened under Tim is remotely close to the rock bottom we experienced when ...

Steve Pederson put things in motion in Feb/March '06 to fire Collier and hire Rick Majerus but stupidly had dinner with him in public in Omaha, but then ...

Collier wins a couple games in the Big 12 tourney to make it more difficult to fire him, after which ...

Collier's ONLY recruiter, Scott Spinelli, leaves the team like a rat from a sinking ship and ...

Collier can't find a replacement for Spinelli and eventually has to settle on Jamel White's uncle, and ...

the only legit big man talent on the team, Aleks Maric, heads back to Australia and contemplates turning pro ...

leaving us with a roster that consists of bad-knees Balham, Kyle Marks, Mike Smith, Marcus "Plantar fasciitis" Perry, Charles "5-9" Richardson and a couple of freshmen recruits virtually no one else wanted.

Tell me a time it was ever lower than that.

Tell me what the "very good team" was that Doc inherited in August, weeks before the season started, with no real time to build relationships or even find eligible recruits except for Sek Henry. Hell, in addition to re-recruiting Aleks Maric, Doc had to re-recruit Mike Smith or he might not have had enough players to practice 5-on-5.

If that's your idea of a "very good team" I'd hate to see what you'd say was just average.

Tim Miles walked into a great situation in comparison.