Italy Trip

khoock

Wow, didn't expect that the 2nd half would be 41-20 the opposite direction after NU had built up a 53-29 lead. I'm guessing shots weren't falling in the 2nd half and/or turnovers became an issue. Just curious on what exactly happened of those who were able to watch.....

On to the final Italy ballgame on the 12th. And, of course, site-seeing.

Edited by AuroranHusker

It really REALLY sucks that Cam Mack got sick.  If he'd been eligible to practice and then had gotten sick, he'd at least have had some reps with the team.  But now he's missed the pre-Italy practices as well as the trip itself and all the opportunities for him to acclimate to Hoiberg's system have been lost. Just really, really sucks.  For him and for us. And I say this because experience tells me that it typically takes a juco a little bit of time, generally a semester or more, to kind of get up to speed in the new system and P5 level of play.  Mental reps are great, but there's no substitute for real practice and game minutes and it would have been nice to have him getting this experience.

I know there's nothing we can do about it now, but it still is something that is an unfortunate turn of events for the young man and for us.

Scoring averages from Italy trip through 3 games. I am really liking how balanced we are. I am guessing Mack would be up there with Burke and Cheatham if he were there, and Ouedraogo would be somewhere between 4-6 ppg, but that's ok for him as long he's 2-2 or 3-4 and not 2-10. 

Dachon Burke 14.7 ppg

Haanif Cheatham 13.0 ppg 

Jervay Green 9.7 ppg

Matej Kavas 9.3 ppg

Samari Curtis 8.7 ppg 

Shamiel Stevenson 6.7 ppg 

Dalano Banton 5.7 ppg 

Kevin Cross 5.7 ppg 

Thor Thorbjarnarson 4.7 ppg

Charlie Easley 2.0 ppg 

Jace Piatkowski 1.5 ppg 

Bret Porter 1.0 ppg

Edited by GoBigFred

Just now, GoBigFred said:

Scoring averages from Italy trip through 3 games. I am really liking how balanced we are. I am guessing Mack would be up there with Burke and Cheatham if he were there, and Ouedraogo would be somewhere between 4-6 ppg, but that's ok for him as long he's 2-2 or 3-4 and not 2-10. 

Dachon Burke 14.7 ppg

Haanif Cheatham 13.0 ppg 

Jervay Green 9.7 ppg

Matej Kavas 9.3 ppg

Samari Curtis 8.7 ppg 

Shamiel Stevenson 6.7 ppg 

Dalano Banton 5.7 ppg 

Kevin Cross 5.7 ppg 

Thor Thorbjarnarson 4.7 ppg

Charlie Easley 2.0 ppg 

Jace Piatkowski 1.5 ppg 

Bret Porter 1.0 ppg

My guess is that Mack finishes more around the Curtis to Green range this year.  Especially since we have a lot of scorers.

9 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

How long of a bench does Hoiberg typically use?

If he goes 7-8 rotation, then the averages shift upward for the guys who play.  If not, you add more ppl and shift everyone down a couple points.

Not counting his first year when they were short on bodies, he played an 8 man rotation three years and a 7 man rotation one year.

Most years that 9th man dips down to about only 15-20 games played and is under 10 mpg

Edited by khoock

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

How long of a bench does Hoiberg typically use?

If he goes 7-8 rotation, then the averages shift upward for the guys who play.  If not, you add more ppl and shift everyone down a couple points.

Yep, 7-8 man rotation and he likes to play his best/most reliable player(s) 33+ minutes.

I’m guessing the minutes in these games have been pretty evenly spread out. But some of these guys won’t play many significant minutes. That’s just the way it goes.

5 minutes ago, khoock said:

Not counting his first year when they were short on bodies, he played an 8 man rotation three years and a 7 man rotation one year.

Most years that 9th man dips down to about only 15-20 games played and is under 10 mpg

OK, so probably 5 of the guys in the scoring column this trip won't see meaningful minutes when stuff gets real. Obviously, Dalano Banton will be one of those guys NOT getting minutes (due to transfer rules). Do Kevin and Yvan both make the rotation? I'd say you put Cam Mack somewhere near the top of the list and the first 8 guys outside of Banton are probably the rotation and possibly in that order.

So, in other words, you'd have Mack somewhere. And then Burke, Cheatham, Green, Curtis, Kavas, Stevenson, and either Cross (which seems likely) or Ouedraogo. And if he goes 9 deep, then you have both Cross and Ouedraogo instead of just one or the other.

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK, so probably 5 of the guys in the scoring column this trip won't see meaningful minutes when stuff gets real. Obviously, Dalano Banton will be one of those guys NOT getting minutes (due to transfer rules). Do Kevin and Yvan both make the rotation? I'd say you put Cam Mack somewhere near the top of the list and the first 8 guys outside of Banton are probably the rotation and possibly in that order.

So, in other words, you'd have Mack somewhere. And then Burke, Cheatham, Green, Curtis, Kavas, Stevenson, and either Cross (which seems likely) or Ouedraogo. And if he goes 9 deep, then you have both Cross and Ouedraogo instead of just one or the other.

Mack/Curtis

Green/Burke

Cheatham 

Kavas/Thor/Cross

Stevenson/Cross/Ouedraogo

Spark plug (and I mean it): Easley

I'm not convinced Yvan gets Cross' freshman minutes based on Hoiberg's system.  I like Yvan, but I'm not sold on him as a shoe in contributor yet.  It's nice to have offense coming off the bench, and there are going to be nights where our bench outplays our starters on that end of the court.  

I love Curtis.  Hell of a freshman talent.  Steal of the class.  

22 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Really hard to say but I do love speculating... I think Yvan Ouedraogo, Akol Arop, and Cam Mack are really going to be hurt (in varying degrees) by missing the practices and/or games.

The following players are comfortably in the 8 man rotation in my opinion:

- Haanif Cheatham

- Matej Kavas

- Jervay Green

- Dachon Burke

- Shamiel Stevenson 

- Cam Mack

That leaves our entire freshmen class and Thorir to fight over the last couple spots in the rotation.

- Cam Mack / Jervay Green

- Dachon Burke / Jervay Green

- Haanif Cheatham

- Matej Kavas

- Shamiel Stevenson 

So you need one more big body. Either Cross or Ouedraogo. Cross is more skilled while Ouedraogo is more physically imposing.

You also need more depth at the wing/forward spot. Curtis can score in bunches... but all of our gaurds and wings can. Can he do it better than any of them or add other elements to the game. Which leads me to Thorir who is a nifty passer and good decision maker which could be a huge compliment around all these scorers. 

Dont have much to add on Arop. I am really bummed that he was unable to make the trip bc i was really looking forward to seeing what he had to offer.

Thats how i see it forming, with little knowledge of this team that we have currently.

Here’s how confident I am they’ll be in the rotation:

1 Haanif Cheatham

2 Cam Mack

3 Dachon Burke

4 Jervay Green 

5 Matej Kavas

6 Shamiel Stevenson (if eligible)

7 Samari Curtis

8 Yvan Ouedraogo

9 Kevin Cross

10 Thor 

11 Easley 

8-10 is where it gets dicey IMO as each of them provides something completely different. There will be some games where we need a smart unselfish player like Thor to come in and make plays. There will be some games where we need all the fouls we can give down low and call on Yvan and Cross. But IMO the first seven are for sure playing in darn near every game. Now if Shamiel can’t play first semester, Thor and Kevin will probably share his minutes.