Italy Trip

khoock

3 hours ago, khoock said:

Is Mack even a sure fire bet? He's missed crucial practice reps and the whole entire foreign tour plus the jump from JUCO to D1 is usually a bumpy one.

Not saying he wont be but i wouldnt put him in the same category as Burke and Cheatham since they are getting these valuable practice and in game reps and have already played at varying levels of D1 basketball.

Granted it’s a jump for Mack,but I think Fred wants to see those three with the ball in their hands as much as possible.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised with in the limited amount I saw in the opener was our defensive rebounding.  Seemed like we were always in good position to rebound which will be huge, given our size.  Granted they didn’t exactly have Rodman or any guys that were good offensive rebounders, but we still were doing a nice job.  

Scoring averages from Italy trip through 2 games: 

Dachon Burke 16.5 ppg

Haanif Cheatham 13.5 ppg

Jervay Green 10.5 ppg

Matej Kavas 9.5 ppg

Shamiel Stevenson 7.5 ppg

Kevin Cross 7.5 ppg

Samari Curtis 6.5 ppg

Dalano Banton 5.5 ppg

Thor Thorbjarnarson 3.5 ppg

Charlie Easley 3.0 ppg

Jace Piatkowski 1.5 ppg

Bret Porter 1.0 ppg

1 minute ago, thrasher31 said:

So I think we can pencil in Kavas and cheatham at this point. Burke in my opinion also. Overall depth has been big this trip, and we're missing two "supposed" starters and akol. Akol I'm still intrigued by for defensive purposes but so far so good

I was really excited to see Akol. I could definitely see this trip holding him back as I think he is lower on most peoples rotation and definitely could have used the experience.

8 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Game 3 starters

15-Curtis
22-Cheatham
23-Green
25-Kavas
34-Thorbjarnarson

Some line up as game 1 except Samari Curtis is subbed in for Dachon Burke.

Also, still only eligible players have started aka no start for Dalano Banton through three games.

Edited by khoock

8 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

So I think we can pencil in Kavas and cheatham at this point. Burke in my opinion also. Overall depth has been big this trip, and we're missing two "supposed" starters and akol. Akol I'm still intrigued by for defensive purposes but so far so good

Kavas and Cheatham, besides the skill sets they bring, are the two grad transfers. Grad transfers don't come to schools they think there is any possibility they sit the bench. So you are only going to bring in people you know will play for you and if it's close you give them the start. If that doesn't happen then you are going to have a more difficult time bringing in any more grad transfers in the future.