Italy Trip

khoock

Just now, Handy Johnson said:

I’m excited to see what happens when get these guys on the same court together. I know it’s a small sample size against iffy competition but I want to see which freshman can hang, and how many shooters we REALLY have....

And it's a good bonding trip for the fellas to become a cohesive team prior to starting school in the fall. All in all, it's a great time for Nebrasketball to take the European Vacation.

10 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’m excited to see what happens when get these guys on the same court together. I know it’s a small sample size against iffy competition but I want to see which freshman can hang, and how many shooters we REALLY have....

One thing to keep in mind is that these teams we'll be playing have been playing together for awhile, in all probability. This will be a completely new experience for all of our guys to play together. Only Dachon and Thor have any prior experience with each other. So, that will somewhat offset the probable talent gap.

I don't think we can assume we'll be more talented or at the very least there will be some massive talent gap, especially that first game. Stella Azurra looks like it's one of Europe's biggest Basketball academies. Silute is a bunch of grown men including former college players from the States.

I couldn't find much about the fourth game.

4 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't think we can assume we'll be more talented or at the very least there will be some massive talent gap, especially that first game. Stella Azurra looks like it's one of Europe's biggest Basketball academies. Silute is a bunch of grown men including former college players from the States.

I couldn't find much about the fourth game.

Right. I was just trying to warn people not to have ridiculous expectations. I know when Creighton took an overseas trip to Italy a few years back (same year we went to Spain, I believe) they were destroying the competition by ridiculous scores. I'm saying that's probably not going to happen with us, in part because our guys have never played together before and have never played in Hoiberg's system.

Just now, hhcmatt said:

I think several of the college squads travelling to Italy will play these same teams so we'll be able to extrapolate somewhat where we are relative to college teams that haven't completely flipped their rosters

Someone out there in the twitterverse tracking what opponents all those CBB teams are playing?

31 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Someone out there in the twitterverse tracking what opponents all those CBB teams are playing?

First would be tracking down which teams are playing in Italy.  Then I'm sure like Nebraska their schedule will show up on their respective websites.

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Can you post?

I don't remember who had the list, Jeff Goodman, maybe? Here is who I saw was going to Italy:

Baylor

BYU

Central Arkansas

Clemson

Colgate

DePaul

Houston

Illinois

Illinois State

Iowa State

Miami (FL)

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northern Iowa

Northwestern

Pittsburgh

Seton Hall

Stanford

UNC Wilmington

Wright State

6 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't remember who had the list, Jeff Goodman, maybe? Here is who I saw was going to Italy:

Baylor

BYU

Central Arkansas

Clemson

Colgate

DePaul

Houston

Illinois

Illinois State

Iowa State

Miami (FL)

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northern Iowa

Northwestern

Pittsburgh

Seton Hall

Stanford

UNC Wilmington

Wright State

Looks like it'd be easier just to bring Italy here.

A few items from OWH today:

--Official Italy practices start Monday

--They've been doing 4 hours per week of workouts as allowed by NCAA until now

--12 of 13 scholarship guys should be here Monday (only missing Yvan) - Mack, Stevenson, Kavas & Cheatham have been finishing up classes at their previous schools

The remainder of the article discussed his offensive philosophies and where he's borrowing ideas. And the part that made me smile:

Only about 10% of his offense will be run in Italy, he said.

Should be another NU hoops article or 2 later in the week/over weekend.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/he-may-not-have-a-harden-or-giannis-but-fred/article_4b693a1f-6dcf-5de0-af83-56debe2ca7ab.html

(behind the pay wall)

Edited by throwback

8 hours ago, throwback said:

A few items from OWH today:

--Official Italy practices start Monday

--They've been doing 4 hours per week of workouts as allowed by NCAA until now

--12 of 13 scholarship guys should be here Monday (only missing Yvan) - Mack, Stevenson, Kavas & Cheatham have been finishing up classes at their previous schools

The remainder of the article discussed his offensive philosophies and where he's borrowing ideas. And the part that made me smile:

Should be another NU hoops article or 2 later in the week/over weekend.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/he-may-not-have-a-harden-or-giannis-but-fred/article_4b693a1f-6dcf-5de0-af83-56debe2ca7ab.html

(behind the pay wall)

I've been thinking about this. Hoiberg is more about set plays and less about random movement based on rules, which was the Miles motion system.

There will be a time before they go to Italy where they can practice and scrimmage, and then they'll have the trip where they'll play games and probably do some film work and maybe practice too, I don't know.

But, between the time they get back and the time that practices are officially allowed again (which will be a couple of months, roughly) I don't think there will be opportunity to install additional offense.  So, whatever he gets in for the Italy trip will be what the players will know until October, basically. At least that's what I'm thinking based on my limited understanding of the rules on practices.

Since this will be a new system for every single player on the roster, it's my hope that some leaders emerge who will organize unofficial practices to get people reps on the permutations and variations of all the sets that will have been installed for the Italy trip so that, at the very least, what they will know of the offense they will know very well.

OWH article says Derrick Walker and Dalano Banton are both eligible to play for the Italy trip. FWIW, Derrick Walker gets a specific shoutout saying how he has impressed Hoiberg so far.

Edited by khoock
For clarification

Curious how much all of you think Dalano Banton and Derrick Walker play during the Italy trip? According to the OWH, both are eligible to participate and play in games during the trip. But every  minute they play is one less minute someone who is actually eligible for this year gets. Obviously thats a short sighted statement bc Hioberg and Co. could very well be thinking long term.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Curious how much all of you think Dalano Banton and Derrick Walker play during the Italy trip? According to the OWH, both are eligible to participate and play in games during the trip. But every  minute they play is one less minute someone who is actually eligible for this year gets. Obviously thats a short sighted statement bc Hioberg and Co. could very well be thinking long term.

I expect those that are eligible to play will likely see roughly equal minutes.

19 hours ago, khoock said:

Derrick will probably play quite a bit since Yvan won't be and we are so thin down low.

6 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

Derrick will probably play quite a bit since Yvan won't be and we are so thin down low.

Im kinda in the boat where I would like to see us play the guys we are playing this year. Banton and Walker will have plenty of time to learn the system and their teammates. Everyone else has much less time. Even though i get winning this year might not be as important as setting the foundation for the upcoming seasons.

Edited by khoock