67    @Georgia Tech 
206    Southern Utah 
238    Texas A&M Corpus Chris 
239    North Dakota 
254    UC Riverside 
312    South Dakota St. 
353    Southern 

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Let’s just say... I’ve seen my fair share of “dancing cupcakes” on Twitter with this announcement.  Jon Rothstein twitter thread is probably best.

Who cares. Nebrasketball finally has a schedule that won't sink the ship in Nov./Dec. Coach Miles put together scheduling with a sink-or-swim mentality. And, oftentimes, it sunk.

It's a bad home non-con schedule, but this is also what can happen when you have 20 conference games and the conference dictates 1 or 2 of your non-con games too (ACC & BE challenges).  Have to have X number of home games to pay the bills. And it's tough to schedule more than one home and home when you don't know whether you'll be on the road or at home in ACC/BE challenges until early summer.

Unfortunately, with 20 conf games and w/ BE & ACC challenges, I suspect we'll see more non-con schedules like this and fewer home and homes with teams like Kansas going forward.

9 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Bartovik pre-season rankings

32   @ Creighton 
67    @Georgia Tech 
206    Southern Utah 
239    North Dakota 
254    UC Riverside 
312    South Dakota St. 
353    Southern 

70  Nebraska

4 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Who cares. Nebrasketball finally has a schedule that won't sink the ship in Nov./Dec. Coach Miles put together scheduling with a sink-or-swim mentality. And, oftentimes, it sunk.

I, season ticketholder and fan of the team making the NCAA tournament, care.  At the end of the day having a schedule where you have to win a bunch of games in conference because you didn't play anyone during the non-conference plays out the same as having to win a bunch of games in conference because you lost to someones.

10 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Bartovik pre-season rankings

32   @ Creighton 
67    @Georgia Tech 
206    Southern Utah 
239    North Dakota 
254    UC Riverside 
312    South Dakota St. 
353    Southern 

We will play 3 of these 7 teams during the tournament

30    New Mexico St. 
89    South Florida 
92    Loyola Chicago 
143    George Mason 
168    Old Dominion 
202    Colorado St. 
251    Washington St. 

5 minutes ago, throwback said:

It's a bad home non-con schedule, but this is also what can happen when you have 20 conference games and the conference dictates 1 or 2 of your non-con games too (ACC & BE challenges).  Have to have X number of home games to pay the bills. And it's tough to schedule more than one home and home when you don't know whether you'll be on the road or at home in ACC/BE challenges until early summer.

Unfortunately, with 20 conf games and w/ BE & ACC challenges, I suspect we'll see more non-con schedules like this and fewer home and homes with teams like Kansas going forward.

I disagree. This is solely because this is Hoiberg's first year. The non con slate will get better with time. This is definitely not the norm. 

And when it comes to home-and-homes sometimes you just gotta roll the dice and bite the bullet if it means two or three true away games. Just because Creighton is the closest comparison they recently had the home-and-homes with Oklahoma and Gonzaga, and another with Arizona State coming up. All 3 they had to go on the road to first. 

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

I, season ticketholder and fan of the team making the NCAA tournament, care.  At the end of the day having a schedule where you have to win a bunch of games in conference because you didn't play anyone during the non-conference plays out the same as having to win a bunch of games in conference because you lost to someones.

That's all well & good. This is year one with an almost entirely new roster. It's appropriate for 2019-20. And I'd contend the B1G/ACC Challenge not being in Lincoln this season kind of screwed up the schedule!

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

We will play 3 of these 7 teams during the tournament

30    New Mexico St. 
89    South Florida 
92    Loyola Chicago 
143    George Mason 
168    Old Dominion 
202    Colorado St. 
251    Washington St. 

If it's the top 3 then NU will be just fine as far as SOS in the end.

39 minutes ago, throwback said:

It won't be this soft  moving forward. Maybe not Kansas (though, I hope we see games like that from time to time...), but you'll see far more challenging schedules as the program develops.

Just now, AuroranHusker said:

Add in the potential of 3 good teams in the Caymans, and it could become a decent SOS all in all.

I don't think we'll get matched up with one of the top teams in game one. CSU or WSU would be nice because it's a bigger name, but those are probably gonna be two pretty bad teams, I expect.

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't think we'll get matched up with one of the top teams in game one. CSU or WSU would be nice because it's a bigger name, but those are probably gonna be two pretty bad teams, I expect.

It's all conjecture at this point. But, yeah, the potential of having the top 3 is probably not likely, overall.

2 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

It's all conjecture at this point. But, yeah, the potential of having the top 3 is probably not likely, overall.

If they can win the first game, I think it's probably likely they get a good game in game two with a shot at a second, which is really all they can hope for.

Edited by uneblinstu

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Iowa played ISU, UConn, Syracuse and NOBODY ELSE in the non-con last year, went 10-10 in the Big Ten, went 1-1 in the conference tournament and played as a 10th seed in the NCAA Tournament. If we find ourselves at 10-10 in the conference and we've beaten Creighton, Georgia Tech and NMSU in the non-conference, we're probably in the same spot.

8 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Iowa played ISU, UConn, Syracuse and NOBODY ELSE in the non-con last year, went 10-10 in the Big Ten, went 1-1 in the conference tournament and played as a 10th seed in the NCAA Tournament. If we find ourselves at 10-10 in the conference and we've beaten Creighton, Georgia Tech and NMSU in the non-conference, we're probably in the same spot.

Valid point. I believe NU's schedule will wind up okay, especially considering the 20 B1G matchups will be formidable.

14 minutes ago, jayschool said:

If we beat Creighton and Georgia Tech in the non-con then 10-10 in conference will probably do the trick unless the conference is having one of those down years.

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

I disagree. This is solely because this is Hoiberg's first year. The non con slate will get better with time. This is definitely not the norm. 

And when it comes to home-and-homes sometimes you just gotta roll the dice and bite the bullet if it means two or three true away games. Just because Creighton is the closest comparison they recently had the home-and-homes with Oklahoma and Gonzaga, and another with Arizona State coming up. All 3 they had to go on the road to first. 

Sure the quality of teams is primarily because of Hoiberg's first year. But the structure isn't.

You don't think the athletic dept needs to have X number of home games? Trust me, they do. If you must have 16-17 home games to make budget, your non-con schedule has very little flexibility. You can't just "roll the dice" when big budgets are involved.

Heck, they expected to play 17 home games this season till the league surprised them with a ACC challenge trip to Ga Tech. I'd imagine that screwed up some budget assumptions pretty substantially when you're taking in $500K-$700K per home game just on tickets.  

And that blue team is a terrible example. That blue team doesn't play two conference challenge games where the league dictates home or away; only one challenge. And that blue team only plays 18 conference games. Gives that blue team much more flexibility.

If NU had only 18 conf games and only 1 mandated non-con game, we'd play more home and homes ... like we did when we first joined the B1G. Huge difference between 19 conference mandated games and 21-22 conference mandated games when you need to have X number of home games. It's no coincidence we haven't announced a new home and home since the B1G went to 20 conference games.

I'd imagine in the future, once Hoiberg's teams are established, we'll upgrade the schedule by either ditching the in-season tournament for a couple of years to play a couple of home and homes or a couple of TV-mandated neutral site games, or try to play in an in-season tournament that has a higher level of opponents. Or we may have to ask to have the game with that blue team count as a Gavitt Game in the future to provide a bit more wiggle room in the schedule.

But home and homes like Kansas are going to be rare with 20 conference games and an in-season tournament on the schedule.