2021 C Adama Sanogo

If he does reclassify to 2020 I don’t see a kid who’s going to rush to college to play limited minutes or redshirt.  I hope we get him but also hopefully we can strike a balance between Sanogo, Yvan, and Walker.  It would be a good problem to have I guess!

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Sounds like the hold-up on Adama Sanogo reclassifying is getting the SAT taken—and that probably isn’t happening any time soon in the New York City area where he lives.

was told ACT / SAT are working on options like online testing so kids can get the tests they need. They were hoping for June but who knows.

If we land Adama Sanogo, I really question what role Derrick Walker will play on the team next year. 

Yvan Ouedraogo is definitely part of the plan moving forward (right?) and I cant see Sanogo coming here to sit on the bench.

Would Derrick Walker be able to play the four, which in HCFH's offense is essentially another wing? Nothing I have seen or read about him in indicates to me that he can. But then who knows how he has improved his skill set during his sit out year.

Cant wait to see how it all shakes out!

1 minute ago, khoock said:

If we land Adama Sanogo, I really question what role Derrick Walker will play on the team next year. 

Yvan Ouedraogo is definitely part of the plan moving forward (right?) and I cant see Sanogo coming here to sit on the bench.

Would Derrick Walker be able to play the four, which in HCFH's offense is essentially another wing? Nothing I have seen or read about him in indicates to me that he can. But then who knows how he has improved his skill set during his sit out year.

This is the question I have also. I'd imagine they use him in certain sets. Every big excels in their own way and brings something different to the table

Yvan: defense and rebounds

Sanogo: rim protection and rebounding/energy

Walker: offense (at least that's what has been said). 

I think it'll be fluid all year. I can also see Walker grad transferring after the year, but that's WAY too far in the future. I'm sure Fred has a plan for all 3. 

1 minute ago, thrasher31 said:

I can also see Walker grad transferring after the year, but that's WAY too far in the future. I'm sure Fred has a plan for all 3. 

Has crossed my mind a time or two. But yes, definitely way too far in the future.

I keep thinking Walker has a history of injury problems. Do you or anyone else know if that is correct? I know he missed the Italy trip bc of one but am not familiar enough with his time at Tennessee. It just sounds familiar, like something I had heard/read before.

41 minutes ago, khoock said:

I'd wager Walker plays more minutes than Sanogo

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I'd wager Walker plays more minutes than Sanogo

I tend to agree bc big guys tend to take longer to be ready and Fred prefers skill over size. Which is why I dont see how we would be in the lead for Sanogo as a '20 recruit (but dont get me wrong, im not complaining as he seems to be very talented). I just cant think of a scenario where Derrick Walker, Yvan Ouedraogo, and Adama Sanogo are all three on the roster AND all three part of the rotation.

I think its pretty well accepted that HCFH is typically gonna roll with 8 guys. Cant see 3/8 of the rotation taken by guys who will play the same position and rarely, if ever, be on the court together.

Sanogo picking us as a '21 recruit makes much more sense to me, as Ouedraogo (Jr.) and Walker (Sr.) would both be upperclassmen. 

The only other thing I can think of (which to me is unlikely especiallyafter Matt A's interview) is if they have plans of a Walker/Ouedraogo/Sanogo front court pairing. That would be unprecedented size for a Hoiberg team, but maybe a necessary adjustment to compete in the B1G (who knows? Not me lol).

2 hours ago, khoock said:

I tend to agree bc big guys tend to take longer to be ready and Fred prefers skill over size. Which is why I dont see how we would be in the lead for Sanogo as a '20 recruit (but dont get me wrong, im not complaining as he seems to be very talented). I just cant think of a scenario where Derrick Walker, Yvan Ouedraogo, and Adama Sanogo are all three on the roster AND all three part of the rotation.

I think its pretty well accepted that HCFH is typically gonna roll with 8 guys. Cant see 3/8 of the rotation taken by guys who will play the same position and rarely, if ever, be on the court together.

Sanogo picking us as a '21 recruit makes much more sense to me, as Ouedraogo (Jr.) and Walker (Sr.) would both be upperclassmen. 

The only other thing I can think of (which to me is unlikely especiallyafter Matt A's interview) is if they have plans of a Walker/Ouedraogo/Sanogo front court pairing. That would be unprecedented size for a Hoiberg team, but maybe a necessary adjustment to compete in the B1G (who knows? Not me lol).

It’s hard to judge from the highlights but Sanogo looks like the most athletic/explosive of the three. Could, or would, they play him at the “4”, or at least have him defending the other team’s 4 with either Walker/Yvan at the 5 for a few minutes each half? I bet Doc would like that for his defense scheming. Maybe even extend that time on the court together depending on matchups.

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

It’s hard to judge from the highlights but Sanogo looks like the most athletic/explosive of the three. Could, or would, they play him at the “4”, or at least have him defending the other team’s 4 with either Walker/Yvan at the 5 for a few minutes each half? I bet Doc would like that for his defense scheming. Maybe even extend that time on the court together depending on matchups.

He's a more versatile defender with better offensive footwork that Yvan.  He's also probably older than Yvan, which is something to keep in mind.  I think this kid would be a very good finisher.  

17 hours ago, LK1 said:

He's a more versatile defender with better offensive footwork that Yvan.  He's also probably older than Yvan, which is something to keep in mind.  I think this kid would be a very good finisher.  

Adama turned 18 in February. Yvan is a month younger. Let's say Adama comes to us as part of the '21 class, then redshirts because Yvan and Derrick Walker take all the minutes at the 5 in 2021-22. It's possible that in February 2023, a 21-year-old freshman, Sanogo, would team with a 20-year-old senior, Yvan, in the middle. Wacky. Of course, Kofi Cockburn was a 20-year-old true freshman this year.

Edited by jayschool

Have to keep reminding myself how young Yvan is. Played the whole season at 17 years old. If Adama Sanogo doesn't reclassify, then he still has his senior year of high school to play. Imagine Yvan tearing it up at the HS level right now, playing next season as a senior in HS. He'd be a beast. But, having said that, from what I've watched, Adama looks not only more explosive and athletic compared to Yvan, but he also looks more skilled. And Yvan is NOT really 6'9". He's more like 6'7". If Adama is a legit 6'9", he'd be taller and probably longer than Yvan as well.

I think we need a big like Adama to compete with other bigs in this league but I'll let HCFH populate his roster as he sees fit.

^^^ Here's Sanogo going up against two legitimate 7 footers, one of them a Duke commit.

I'm revising my thoughts on him.  He's a great young player.  There are similarities to Yvan in terms of athleticism, but this kid is wildly skilled for his size.  He's also much faster than I thought he'd be.  He's a legit top 10 center.  I wasn't sure based on the limited footage.

Stat line:  26pts, 12rb, 1a (though he is a talented passer if you watch), 7 steals, 2 blocks.  

He has elite footwork and a fantastic left hand.  He's not explosive, but he knows his body very well.  His footwork inside reminds me a lot of Zach Randolph.  Nifty scorer.  There are a lot of shots he converts here that Yvan couldn't make due to his limited skillset.  He also has GREAT hands.  

Edited by LK1

3 hours ago, LK1 said:

^^^ Here's Sanogo going up against two legitimate 7 footers, one of them a Duke commit.

I'm revising my thoughts on him.  He's a great young player.  There are similarities to Yvan in terms of athleticism, but this kid is wildly skilled for his size.  He's also much faster than I thought he'd be.  He's a legit top 10 center.  I wasn't sure based on the limited footage.

Stat line:  26pts, 12rb, 1a (though he is a talented passer if you watch), 7 steals, 2 blocks.  

He has elite footwork and a fantastic left hand.  He's not explosive, but he knows his body very well.  His footwork inside reminds me a lot of Zach Randolph.  Nifty scorer.  There are a lot of shots he converts here that Yvan couldn't make due to his limited skillset.  He also has GREAT hands.  

Watching that he reminds me of Gorgui Dieng. Don’t know if he shoots as well, but seems efficient with his movement and has pretty court awareness.