Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Red Don

The New Era Begins

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, 49r said:

 

On a scale of Brian Diaz to Jordy Tshimanga where would you rank him on the "below the rim" scale?

 

I’m thinking a shorter, post Achilles and quad tendon tear Boogie Cousins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didnt know exactly where to put this but its interesting enough to atleast warrant a post.

 

On a podcast I was listening too (I wanna say the second newest Pick Six Podcast) Chris Heady was talking about a story he was doing on Hoiberg and threw out the idea that we are getting a version of Hoiberg never seen before. That is, a Fred Hoiberg looking for redemption after his first ever stint of failure. He was successful as high school player, college player, NBA player, NBA executive, and college coach. His stint with the Chicago Bulls was the first time he was never really successful in a basketball related postion.

 

Not only are we getting a great, innovative coach but we might also be getting one with a little extra to prove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, big red22 said:

Not saying this a a jab at Drago, it is just facts.  He is no where near athletic enough to be NBA material at this point.  Right now it looks like his vertical is maybe 25" and he finishes below the rim 90% of the time.  That does not scream NBA to me, but then again it is JMO

 

Not knocking his game though, because he does have extremely good post footwork

 

If Drago turned out to be Tyler Cook he'll be one hell of a college player. Cook is a fringe NBA player at this point and probably ends up overseas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, big red22 said:

Not saying this a a jab at Drago, it is just facts.  He is no where near athletic enough to be NBA material at this point.  Right now it looks like his vertical is maybe 25" and he finishes below the rim 90% of the time.  That does not scream NBA to me, but then again it is JMO

 

Not knocking his game though, because he does have extremely good post footwork

 

What are you basing that conclusion on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, big red22 said:

The only thing I can, his highlight videos

 

I was wondering if you'd seen anything more than the video I posted on his recruiting thread.

 

Realize that he's only 16 yo in that video. And, in the one clear opportunity he had to throw it down, he did so.

 

Significantly, he's rebounding over the top of other players and he's getting shots off as well.

 

I guess, when I watched that vid, I wasn't necessarily worried about his explosiveness.  The one dunk was one more than Brandon Ubel's highlights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

I was wondering if you'd seen anything more than the video I posted on his recruiting thread.

 

Realize that he's only 16 yo in that video. And, in the one clear opportunity he had to throw it down, he did so.

 

Significantly, he's rebounding over the top of other players and he's getting shots off as well.

 

I guess, when I watched that vid, I wasn't necessarily worried about his explosiveness.  The one dunk was one more than Brandon Ubel's highlights.

 

I think that’s a fair point. Maybe I’m underestimating the jump from 16 year old to 18 year old in terms of leaping ability and explosiveness. The thing that stuck out to me wasn’t open dunks. Almost anyone his size should be able to do that. It was the degree that contact kept him stapled to the ground. I’m exaggerating for effect, but it seemed like you could barely fit the Waverly phone book between his feet and the floor at times. 

 

But it like I said, maybe I’m putting too much stock into highlights from when he was 16. I’ll be honest, I’m not used to watching big man highlights at that age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 2:01 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Realize that he's only 16 yo in that video. And, in the one clear opportunity he had to throw it down, he did so. [...] I wasn't necessarily worried about his explosiveness.

 

On 6/27/2019 at 4:45 PM, GATA said:

I think that’s a fair point. Maybe I’m underestimating the jump from 16 year old to 18 year old in terms of leaping ability and explosiveness.

 

The ol' jump-off-two-feet-from-right-under-the-rim fast break dunk doesn't exactly scream "explosive". Also, that game was played just 10 months ago. So while he may have been 16 at the time, he's still only 17 now.

 

 

KindlyDishonestAracari-size_restricted.g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

 

 

The ol' jump-off-two-feet-from-right-under-the-rim fast break dunk doesn't exactly scream "explosive". Also, that game was played just 10 months ago. So while he may have been 16 at the time, he's still only 17 now.

 

 

KindlyDishonestAracari-size_restricted.g

 

And Drago will be 17 for his entire FROSH season at Nebraska.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

 

 

The ol' jump-off-two-feet-from-right-under-the-rim fast break dunk doesn't exactly scream "explosive". Also, that game was played just 10 months ago. So while he may have been 16 at the time, he's still only 17 now.

 

 

KindlyDishonestAracari-size_restricted.g

 

Yeah, he’s not exactly Dominique Wilkins off two feet, that’s for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

 

 

The ol' jump-off-two-feet-from-right-under-the-rim fast break dunk doesn't exactly scream "explosive". Also, that game was played just 10 months ago. So while he may have been 16 at the time, he's still only 17 now.

 

 

KindlyDishonestAracari-size_restricted.g

The fan in attendance wasn't impressed. Plus, Georgia sucks, amirite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, khoock said:

Nice article in the LJS about Charlie Easley if anyone cares to link it. Apparently has impressed in drills and workouts so far. However, the team has not practiced any 5 on 5 yet.

 

Here it is:

 

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-motivated-by-lack-of-d-i-offers/article_d354ef56-38e2-51a0-957f-821ed7ef51d1.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made a deep dive into Buzzy and he's a KC guy who was a mentor for Marvin Clark and coached for MoKan Elite. 

 

https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/marvinclark (This was a good article and even mentions him watching us beat Indiana on a recruiting trip)

https://nypost.com/2017/11/08/marvin-clarks-remarkable-journey-hes-a-kid-you-cheer-for/

 

In a nutshell among the teams that recruited Clark out of high school was Iowa St with Hoiberg/Matt A.

When Clark transferred, he transferred to St Johns and Matt A.

 

Seems like a hire based on him being able to develop guys and tap into AAU around the St Louis/KC area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Made a deep dive into Buzzy and he's a KC guy who was a mentor for Marvin Clark and coached for MoKan Elite. 

 

https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/marvinclark (This was a good article and even mentions him watching us beat Indiana on a recruiting trip)

https://nypost.com/2017/11/08/marvin-clarks-remarkable-journey-hes-a-kid-you-cheer-for/

 

In a nutshell among the teams that recruited Clark out of high school was Iowa St with Hoiberg/Matt A.

When Clark transferred, he transferred to St Johns and Matt A.

 

Seems like a hire based on him being able to develop guys and tap into AAU around the St Louis/KC area.

Thanks for giving us the buzz on Buzzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...