Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Red Don

The New Era Begins

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

being “stuck“ with this group of recruits for a few years.

 

In theory we will have 11 guys returning next year. Considering how cut-throat we've been and how many offers we've thrown out doesn't it seem like we will continue to turn over this roster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Honorable mention: Haanif Cheatham (worried about his shooting shoulder injury); Kevin Cross (loads of upside but needs to hit the weight room); Yvan Ouedraogo (an absolute beast, but a little raw and very young and won't be joining us until August and will be a couple of months behind everyone else.)

 

Samari Curtis is my sleeper for stud status. Maybe not for this year, but next year, he could be the dude.

Edited by uneblinstu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheatham and Stevenson were probably the 3rd or 4th best players on their teams as true freshman in the ACC and Big East. Burke and Kavas (his sophomore year) were the best players on their teams, although they were playing with/against lesser talent. And Green and Mack were the first two names Hoiberg mentioned when he was asked which players he was most excited about for this upcoming season. There aren't any 5 stars on this roster, but we have some guys with potential to become "stars". 

 

After Roby, who do you guys think is the most likely player (if any) on the roster to get drafted in the future? Washut was asked this question on a radio show yesterday. The 4 guys he talked about, in order, were: Mack, Green, Banton, Ouedraogo. In my opinion, Green and Banton are 1 and 2.  The coaches love Mack. Abdelmassih was quoted in a recent OWH article saying, "he could be an NBA player."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Well if Ohio’s “Mr Basketball” & two of the Top 10 Juniors College players in the Country don’t measure up as “Star Power” then his definition & mine are miles apart...

I think someone posted something about the top 10 juco players from the past couple years and they almost all had modest stats their first year and some bloomed into good players their second year. 

 

Also, Samari Curtis is no slouch but Xavier and Cincinnati do not recruit at an extremely high level. Its not like he was raking in top flight offers left and right.

 

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, khoock said:

I think someone posted something about the top 10 juco players from the past couple years and they almost all had modest stats their first year and some bloomed into good players their second year. 

 

Also, Samari Curtis is no slouch but Xavier and Cincinnati do not recruit at an extremely high level. Its not like he was raking in top flight offers left and right.

 

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

Xavier's had 6 4 stars over the past four years and had the #11 class two years ago.

Cincinnati didn't fare as well, but Cronin was more recruiting to his program more than he was recruiting the stars. We'll see how he does at UCLA. Maybe being in the Big East vs. AAC played a factor there, too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stupid question of the day.  And this is with all due respect to the posters on this board who have podcasts.  But what qualifies an individual to produce/star in podcasts?  Is it sort of the same as writing a tweet?  I guess what I am asking is why should anyone care what somebody says on a podcast?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Cheatham and Stevenson were probably the 3rd or 4th best players on their teams as true freshman in the ACC and Big East. Burke and Kavas (his sophomore year) were the best players on their teams, although they were playing with/against lesser talent. And Green and Mack were the first two names Hoiberg mentioned when he was asked which players he was most excited about for this upcoming season. There aren't any 5 stars on this roster, but we have some guys with potential to become "stars". 

 

After Roby, who do you guys think is the most likely player (if any) on the roster to get drafted in the future? Washut was asked this question on a radio show yesterday. The 4 guys he talked about, in order, were: Mack, Green, Banton, Ouedraogo. In my opinion, Green and Banton are 1 and 2.  The coaches love Mack. Abdelmassih was quoted in a recent OWH article saying, "he could be an NBA player."

 

I'd venture to speculate that Green, Banton, Mack, and Drago would likely be the top 4 pro prospects on the roster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Stupid question of the day.  And this is with all due respect to the posters on this board who have podcasts.  But what qualifies an individual to produce/star in podcasts?  Is it sort of the same as writing a tweet?  I guess what I am asking is why should anyone care what somebody says on a podcast?  

 

Anyone can make or be on a podcast though it's more work than just putting out tweets. The level of credence you attribute to something on a podcast would be applied in a similar fashion to how your trust level varies for a tweet or post on this board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 4:26 PM, hhcmatt said:

Considering how cut-throat we've been and how many offers we've thrown out doesn't it seem like we will continue to turn over this roster?

 

THIS!

 

I don't view us as being "stuck" with anything. Hoiberg will turn this entire roster into ash next April, if he feels he needs better talent. I know, as a fanbase, we're not used to this sort of thing in basketball, but we're going to recruit over the top of guys until the talent level is high enough to challenge the upper-half of the conference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 5:07 PM, uneblinstu said:

Xavier's had 6 4 stars over the past four years and had the #11 class two years ago. Cronin was more recruiting to his program more than he was recruiting the stars.

 

I like the guys both programs recruit. They might not always be the most highly rated, but they're tough SOBs, and particularly with Cinci, can D people up on a consistent basis. So being recruited by those programs is a stamp of approval to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

And this is with all due respect to the posters on this board who have podcasts. I guess what I am asking is why should anyone care what somebody says on a podcast?  

 

What the? Who on here has a podcast? Are we all supposed to have podcasts? Is this a thing? I don't have a podcast. Papa, do you want to start a podcast with me? We could talk about all sorts of crap that nobody should care about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 5:33 PM, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

 

What the? Who on here has a podcast? Are we all supposed to have podcasts? Is this a thing? I don't have a podcast. Papa, do you want to start a podcast with me? We could talk about all sorts of crap that nobody should care about.

I think we have one, perhaps two that have podcasts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks as if Cam Mack, Shamiel Stevenson, Haanif Cheatham, and Matej Kavas will not be in Lincoln until the second session of summer workouts. As we already know, Yvan Ouedraogo will not arrive until August.

 

All other players, scholarship and walk on, are here and participating in workouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin Cross being here for both summer sessions and the extra practices for the Italy trip will be huge for him beating out Yvan Ouedraogo for minutes.

 

Also gives players like Samari Curtis, Thorir Thorbjarnarson, and Akol Arop a small head start over their competition.

Edited by khoock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The star thing is pretty BS, IMO. As someone mentioned earlier, Petteway and Palmer didn’t come in with “star power.” 

 

The thing with having a great coach and system with a bunch of solid players is that that recipe tends to lead to really good teams where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. 

 

We’re not pretending to be a blue blood program that expects to compete for national titles (not yet at least). But teams that play with pace and space with multiple ball handlers and can shoot the heck out of the ball are good. We will be good, eventually. 

 

In terms of star power, Stevenson has been my favorite addition by far this offseason, with Mack and Green a close second. Stevenson seems like the type of guy who unlocks an offense by being able to play up a position to PF. His shooting will give Mack, Burke and Green room to operate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:36 AM, AuroranHusker said:

 

I'd venture to speculate that Green, Banton, Mack, and Drago would likely be the top 4 pro prospects on the roster

Not saying this a a jab at Drago, it is just facts.  He is no where near athletic enough to be NBA material at this point.  Right now it looks like his vertical is maybe 25" and he finishes below the rim 90% of the time.  That does not scream NBA to me, but then again it is JMO

 

Not knocking his game though, because he does have extremely good post footwork

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, big red22 said:

Not saying this a a jab at Drago, it is just facts.  He is no where near athletic enough to be NBA material at this point.  Right now it looks like his vertical is maybe 25" and he finishes below the rim 90% of the time.  That does not scream NBA to me, but then again it is JMO

 

Not knocking his game though, because he does have extremely good post footwork

 

I agree on Drago. I’m happy to get any recruit our staff wants, but he doesn’t seem overly athletic or explosive to me. He’s definitely plays below the rim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GATA said:

 

I agree on Drago. I’m happy to get any recruit our staff wants, but he doesn’t seem overly athletic or explosive to me. He’s definitely plays below the rim. 

 

On a scale of Brian Diaz to Jordy Tshimanga where would you rank him on the "below the rim" scale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...