The New Era Begins

Red Don

“It’s been a crazy, I guess about seven weeks now since I took over the job,” Hoiberg said at the Big Red Blitz event in Fremont. “I’ve got two points coming back from last year’s roster with Thor [Thorbjarnarson], he’s the only guy that has any points or experience from last year’s team … We’ve got 11 new guys on our team. It’s going to be a lot of experimenting this summer with our practices. We’ve got a trip coming up to Italy and we’re going to have the chance to have 10 free practices leading into that to hopefully give us a head start going into the season.”

Assistant coach and lead recruiter Matt Abdelmassih is the one who did the leg work of assembling this roster. Now it’s time for Hoiberg to do what he does best.

“I like the skill set of our players,” Hoiberg said. “What exactly it looks like I don’t know yet, just because we haven’t had any time to work our guys out. We’re going to take these first couple weeks to get to know each other but we’re going to set the tone early for the type of work it’s going to take to achieve our goals. I do think our guys will play together. I think they’re all great kids and hopefully we can go out there and put a style of play that fans can be proud of.”

Edited by Red Don

So eleven players will be here for the first summer session. Anyone know who those eleven are?

Article says all three walkons are on campus. Im assuming Dachon and Thor are on campus. We know Yvan wont be here until later. Anyone know who the other six player's are?

6 hours ago, khoock said:

So eleven players will be here for the first summer session. Anyone know who those eleven are?

Article says all three walkons are on campus. Im assuming Dachon and Thor are on campus. We know Yvan wont be here until later. Anyone know who the other six player's are?

Thor is likely 1 who is not yet back. And I thought a recent recruit had some stuff to finish up before traveling to Lincoln, although I can not recall who he is (and it doesn't help that NU had a ton of 'recent' recruits... lol)

8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Thor is likely 1 who is not yet back. And I thought a recent recruit had some stuff to finish up before traveling to Lincoln, although I can not recall who he is (and it doesn't help that NU had a ton of 'recent' recruits... lol)

Thor is back. 

Drago isn't yet. 

15 hours ago, khoock said:

I know that Kevin Cross and Jervay are here. I think Derrick Walker and Dalano Banton are too.

Heady times my friends... couldn’t be more thrilled with the way this roster has come together. Now it’s time to “Coach em Up” & I think we’ve got just the Coach(es) to do it.  I’ll go WAY out on a limb here, we might not be in the top 25 by Christmas ? but we’ll finish higher than 13th in Conference.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I thought I read somewhere that the two grad transfers had some work to do yet to get their diplomas and get eligible. I thought they were expected to arrive later this summer. 

Okay, I had heard 1. That makes the most sense that it's the grad transfer requirements as the sticking point.

On 6/11/2019 at 5:17 PM, khoock said:

On 6/11/2019 at 11:45 PM, AuroranHusker said:

And I thought a recent recruit had some stuff to finish up before traveling to Lincoln, although I can not recall who he is

On 6/12/2019 at 9:51 AM, Norm Peterson said:

I thought I read somewhere that the two grad transfers had some work to do yet to get their diplomas and get eligible. I thought they were expected to arrive later this summer. 

Per Washut (post-BRBlitz)...

Three Huskers will be late arrivals.

The only players who won’t be in Lincoln on June 9 are graduate transfers Haanif Cheatham and Matej Kavas and incoming freshman Yvan Ouedraogo. Hoiberg said Cheatham was finishing up his degree at Florida Gulf Coast, while Kavas was doing the same at Seattle, which runs on a quarter system. Ouedraogo will be the latest to arrive in Lincoln, as he will play for France’s U18 National Team at the FIBA European Championships in Greece. As a result, he also will be the lone Husker not to compete during the Italian tour, since the FIBA tournament doesn’t end until Aug. 4.

Wasn't sure quite where to put this, but had an interesting exchange with a  guy on Twitter today. The kind of exchange you probably aren't going to have with a fellow Husker fan and really can't have with the fan of an opposing team. He has some interesting outsider perspective on our coach hire and what he's done in recruiting since he came on board.  Interesting perspective.  Let's just say he has no dog in the fight and while he isn't drinking the Kool-Aid, he also isn't trolling, either.

26 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Wasn't sure quite where to put this, but had an interesting exchange with a  guy on Twitter today. The kind of exchange you probably aren't going to have with a fellow Husker fan and really can't have with the fan of an opposing team. He has some interesting outsider perspective on our coach hire and what he's done in recruiting since he came on board.  Interesting perspective.  Let's just say he has no dog in the fight and while he isn't drinking the Kool-Aid, he also isn't trolling, either.

Whom would you identify as someone with "star power" on our 2019-2020 roster? Whom have we had on a roster in the past 20 years had "star power"?

To me, that's an accurate statement, but it doesn't mean we can't compete and even win something with "4th-best players." And I'd add that the "star power" players, if they're not currently on the roster, are just a commitment or two away.

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

Whom would you identify as someone with "star power" on our 2019-2020 roster? Whom have we had on a roster in the past 20 years had "star power"?

To me, that's an accurate statement, but it doesn't mean we can't compete and even win something with "4th-best players." And I'd add that the "star power" players, if they're not currently on the roster, are just a commitment or two away.

If you look at the conversation we had on Twitter, what was quoted above was his reply to me. My reply to that was to say that he made a fair point about maybe not having star power and being “stuck“ with this group of recruits for a few years.

I have mentioned before, though, that I wanted one or two more graduate transfers so that we could immediately offer those spots to 2020 recruits.

On the other hand, there may be some star power in the recruits we brought in, Banton for example.

If nothing else, we now have the role players in place for the “star power“ guys we bring in over the next couple of years. ?

Edited by Norm Peterson

I like our roster construction. Sure, as of right now, we are a little handcuffed for 2020 recruiting. But we will more than likely have a 4-6 player class for 2021 which is also where I think we will have the best chance of landing some "star power".

Plus I think we will have a dude or two emerge on this years team.

30 minutes ago, khoock said:

I like our roster construction. Sure, as of right now, we are a little handcuffed for 2020 recruiting. But we will more than likely have a 4-6 player class for 2021 which is also where I think we will have the best chance of landing some "star power".

Plus I think we will have a dude or two emerge on this years team.

I agree.  We have some pieces to work with.  And I agree a dude or two will emerge.

Based only on what videos I've seen, and assuming everyone who might be immediately eligible will be immediately eligible, I think the best chance for star power would be (and this is a ridiculously uninformed opinion -- some of you are saying "as usual, Norm" -- and so this is almost certain to be laughably wrong, but …) as follows:

1.  Shamiel Stevenson.  I think this guy has "stud" written all over him. His size, leaping ability, wingspan, and 3-point accuracy give him the tools to be a prototypical Hoiberg stretch 4 on a roster that isn't going to have a ton of big men competing for touches.

2.  Jervay Green.  This one is a coinflip for me.  It's going to be one of the guards who will emerge as one of the "dudes." Question is which one. Jervay has the best combination of size, athleticism, and skill to be the impact guy we're hoping he becomes.  But it could just as easily be Dachon Burke, who is quicker and faster but maybe not as built to finish through contact, and maybe not as good of a 3-point threat.

3.  Dachon Burke.  If there's a logjam where guys are going to have to fight to get touches, it's in the backcourt on this team.  Dachon is lightning-quick, with a lot of ability.  I take him and Jervay over Cam Mack because I see Cam being a solid distributor who might not have the 3-point range to be an all-around impact guy.

Honorable mention: Haanif Cheatham (worried about his shooting shoulder injury); Kevin Cross (loads of upside but needs to hit the weight room); Yvan Ouedraogo (an absolute beast, but a little raw and very young and won't be joining us until August and will be a couple of months behind everyone else.)