2021SG Terrence Clarke

So, Fred & Co have now offered the #1 and #2 players in the Class of 2021.

I grant there's a long way from offered to committed, but I can't remember us ever offering a Rivals 5-star out of HS except that one kid from Florida during the Collier years who toyed with the NBA draft and never played anywhere.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:59 PM, Norm Peterson said:

So, Fred & Co have now offered the #1 and #2 players in the Class of 2021.

I grant there's a long way from offered to committed, but I can't remember us ever offering a Rivals 5-star out of HS except that one kid from Florida during the Collier years who toyed with the NBA draft and never played anywhere.

The name Keith Brumbaugh comes to mind.  I know who you are talking about anyways.  Didn’t he end up at Okie State?

1 hour ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

I'm sure Tim was just as serious as Fred is. The difference is we have an assistant with connections and an ability to persuade (instead of the original "Coach Chin" who wasn't allowed to recruit and only lasted a few months).

What I mean was I don't think that was a serious offer to Jahlil.  That was like if I sent a note to Heidi Klum's publicist to see if she'd go to the Moose Lodge Banquet with me.  And Jahlil coming out to look at Hendrick's would be like Heidi's publicist sending me back an autographed picture and a note saying she thought it was sweet of me to ask, but she's busy that year.

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

What I mean was I don't think that was a serious offer to Jahlil.  That was like if I sent a note to Heidi Klum's publicist to see if she'd go to the Moose Lodge Banquet with me.  And Jahlil coming out to look at Hendrick's would be like Heidi's publicist sending me back an autographed picture and a note saying she thought it was sweet of me to ask, but she's busy that year.

But i mean what leads you to believe we have a chance to land a player of that caliber? Did Hoiberg ever bring in that level of recruit to Iowa State?

3 hours ago, khoock said:

But i mean what leads you to believe we have a chance to land a player of that caliber? Did Hoiberg ever bring in that level of recruit to Iowa State?

He didn't. That was part of his frustration at Iowa St/recruiting in general.  Part of his problem was the same problem Miles had: Lack of perception of being able to get a guy to the NBA.

It's possible that Hoiberg has that sort of juice now after his stint in the NBA.

Part of the problem with going after 5 star guys is putting in a lot of time and effort for probably nothing whereas you could have been spending those resources on someone else. I don't think Miles and company could have shot for the moon without it hurting recruiting as we had to claw for a lot of the guys we landed.  What Hoiberg and company have shown is the ability to recruit at the same level of Miles but much more efficiently/rapidly.  To me it seems like we can spend time recruiting these 5 star players and if it doesn't work out we won't have to settle too far down.

4 hours ago, khoock said:

It's like what Matt said. I think I read Hoiberg had I'm not sure how many former players make the NBA but it was several. Plus he's coached there. He has more gravitas when it comes to selling a recruit on the idea he can help them get to that next level. It's a lot more convincing coming from someone who's done it multiple times. And he can sell it with more credibility now, after a stint as an NBA coach, than he could before while he was at ISU.

I never got the impression that the Jahlil Okafor visit was due to legitimate interest in our program. I always figured it was 1) doing a favor for Chin; and 2) what the heck, let's go take a look at that fancy new practice facility they built.  I think the "offer" to Okafor was a show offer.  I could be wrong on this, but I don't think coaches typically make offers unless they have gotten some kind of feedback that indicates a player would be receptive to the offer.  If that's the case, then the caliber of offer we're making is reflective of a higher level of esteem for our program now among the category of people who are being recruited.

What other explanation is there for the fact we're making significantly higher-level offers since Hoiberg arrived than any coach since Danny Nee?

13 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Except the football team has what 400 offers out there?

They said if you don't offer a kid won't even talk to you, let alone visit.  

Maybe it is different in football

I think a lot of times offers are delivered during the official visit. 

The way I understand it, the usual procedure is you somehow get in contact with the coach or other representative of a kid you want to recruit. You send him a letter saying you've seen his film/watched him at a tournament/followed his HS career/seen his stats/whatever. And that you're interested. You invite the kid to contact you if they have any interest. That's like the first contact.

The way I understand, the first contact is not going to be when you extend a scholarship offer. Once you hear back from a kid, you work to establish a relationship, and you might extend an offer at that point.  But I don't think it's typically the case that coaches just scattershot offers to all the top kids hoping to snag one or two.  If an offer has been made, I assume it's after some contact has been established and you've identified that this is a kid who is at least willing to listen to you.

A lot of kids get letters and tell their coach/representative to tell the school don't bother, I'm not interested. And it doesn't go anywhere from there. I'm sure coaches prefer it that way because it saves everybody time.

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2021SG Terrence Clarke