OWH: Remaking the Roster

Great story (behind the paywall) on how NU remade its roster from Abdelmassih's perspective.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/husker-hoops-roster-redo-was-a-daunting-task-here-is/article_8a451a84-6fb7-518d-aec5-9cf4144eb6a3.html

My favorite paragraph:

Hoiberg is not the biggest fan of recruiting. “What coach really is?” Abdelmassih said. But he can close a recruit as well as anyone. Hoiberg talks about the chip on his shoulder to prove Nebraska can be a winner, and how, specifically, each player will play a role in that journey.

This article drives home just how impressive of a makeover these guys pulled off in 2 months.

2 hours ago, throwback said:

Great story (behind the paywall) on how NU remade its roster from Abdelmassih's perspective.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/husker-hoops-roster-redo-was-a-daunting-task-here-is/article_8a451a84-6fb7-518d-aec5-9cf4144eb6a3.html

My favorite paragraph:

This article drives home just how impressive of a makeover these guys pulled off in 2 months.

I gave them an A+ in my poll a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Very impressive. There is the obvious concern about how talented the players are. But aside from Akol Arop and Kevin Cross (still had multiple P5 offers) all of our prospects were decently to highly sought after.

I think our freshmen are crazy underrated.  Cross could be the steal of the group.  Those two bigs have a lot of potential.

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think our freshmen are crazy underrated.  Cross could be the steal of the group.  Those two bigs have a lot of potential.

Agree - there is some crazy potential on this roster. 

Even more importantly, it's obvious that these coaches believe in these guys. From everything they've said, it's pretty clear they weren't just filling scholarships to get to 14 (then 13). They really believe in all of these guys. From the article, Abdelmassih had scouted a lot of these guys previously while at St John's, and Doc had been looking at Cross. Abdelmassih had even seen Yvan at a tournament. 

Sure, the coaches are going to tell us every one of these guys is great. That's expected. But the detail in this article and in other comments they've made tells me they aren't just giving lip service. These are the guys they want. They certainly don't have to offer the details they have on these players, unless they actually believe it.

Now, it's a matter of meshing all of them together to create a cohesive team - no small challenge. These Italy practices and subsequent trip couldn't have come at a better time.

22 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Couldn’t agree more, plus let’s not forget we snuck in Ohio’s “Mr Basketball” under the wire & I believe Chuck Easley is going to be more than just a bit player.

It has been a weird few months for me.  I have sat back and I am just taking "all of it" in.  It has been a whirlwind, and it is easy to understand the robust positive vibe.  

I am willing to take a wait and see approach.  I want to see the players, the coaches strategy, the overall product and the results.  It is hard when you are seeing a complete new product on the court.  With the exception of Thor, we do not know how the players or the staff will react to basketball at this level.  Is that good or bad?

So although I am pretty sure what we will see will be great, I cannot and will not put on my rose-colored glasses just quite yet.

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

So although I am pretty sure what we will see will be great, I cannot and will not put on my rose-colored glasses just quite yet.

If you are "pretty sure what we will see will be great", you already have on your rose-colored glasses.

You just need to either drink the kool-aid, get a beer and nyquil chaser (@ Conley's?) or sing a few verses of Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.

Edited by trickey

On 6/8/2019 at 12:37 PM, Norm Peterson said:

247 has Cross as a ZERO-star. What?? They have Cam Mack as our second-lowest-rated commit (not counting transfers). That's rated below (in order) Yvan, Samari, Jervay, and Akol. Double-what?? He might be our best player.

And yet, we still ended up with the 42nd-ranked class. That's not shabby. Now if only they had spent some time and truly evaluated Cross and Mack (and ranked them appropriately), we'd probably be mid-30s. Which would be outstanding for a first class, put together in a month.

As I asked at the close of the Spring Signing Period... if this is what we get in a super-abbreviated year one... WTF is the ceiling?

Edited by Searching 4 Chester Surles