Erstad has stepped down

5 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Anyone heard any new chatter about anyone other than Will Bolt or is he signed sealed and delivered?

This is just my guess.  If Bolt was the guy (I think he would be awesome), it would have been announced by today.  I think Moos has something going on.  Don't know what...

2 hours ago, cipsucks said:

This is just my guess.  If Bolt was the guy (I think he would be awesome), it would have been announced by today.  I think Moos has something going on.  Don't know what...

This one has been played close to the vest. There is certainly other candidates, I just couldn’t tell you who the hell they are. 

6 hours ago, cipsucks said:

There's always the possibility that it is Bolt, and he's locked up already, but they're holding off to announce during the CWS.

46 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Does Moos have a son in Texas he needs to go visit?

Maybe Bolt has a son on a team that's in the CWS... and they're hoping for shots of Bolt in the crowd watching his kid play, while the announcers mention "Oh hey, there's new Nebraska coach Will Bolt".

Edited by Searching 4 Chester Surles

1 hour ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

There's always the possibility that it is Bolt, and he's locked up already, but they're holding off to announce during the CWS.

I think odds are good its Bolt, hopefully we know shortly.

On a side note, people that poo-poo the potential Bolt hire are dumber than a stack of bricks.

Bolt as a JUCO head coach at Texarkana: 140-82

Nebraska BA 2011 (year before Bolt): .270

Nebraska BA 2012 (year Bolt arrives): .315

Nebraska BA 2013 (year 2 of Bolt)     : .291

Nebraska BA 2014 (year 3 of Bolt)     : .293

Nebraska BA 2015 (year after Bolt).  : .276

Guy wins, and guy can coach offense. We would be in great hands. 

7 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

On a side note, people that poo-poo the potential Bolt hire are dumber than a stack of bricks.

A&M Pre-Bolt:

2010: 0.300

2011: 0.291

2012: 0.288

2013: 0.270

2014: 0.286

A&M Bolt:

2015: 0.299

2016: 0.311

2017: 0.273

2018: 0.287

2019: 0.251

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

A&M Pre-Bolt:

2010: 0.300

2011: 0.291

2012: 0.288

2013: 0.270

2014: 0.286

A&M Bolt:

2015: 0.299

2016: 0.311

2017: 0.273

2018: 0.287

2019: 0.251

Those #s will play as well. 

Kendall Rogers says finalists are Heller and Bolt. I think this gives us an idea of where the Nebraska job stands nationally, good but not elite. 

Heller would get some backlash, but another damn good coach. Iowa had 3 NCAA tournament appearances in their history and none in the 25 years pre-Heller, he has taken them to 2 NCAAs in the last 5 years. Not the sexy hire, but I think he would have us playing at Erstads level and his teams tend to play very well in tournaments. 

Gary Sharp just said it’s probably gonna be Bolt. Van Horn and Childress both recommended him. Bolt says it’s his Dream job. DVH says he has the “it factor”. Moos will get him a stout asst pool. I for one will be very excited. JUCO, Texas and Nebraska connections already in place. A good pitching coach is a must.  

Gary Sharp just said it’s probably gonna be Bolt. Van Horn and Childress both recommended him. Bolt says it’s his Dream job. DVH says he has the “it factor”. Moos will get him a stout asst pool. I for one will be very excited. JUCO, Texas and Nebraska connections already in place. A good pitching coach is a must.  
I agree with you on the pitching coach I wasn't sold on silva

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I'm in the dumber than a box of rocks group.  Just a "meh" hire.  A coach doesn't ALWAYS have to have Nebraska connections.  Rick Heller would have been outstanding!  It's simply amazing what that guy has done at Iowa.  He gets ZERO support from his administration.  Have you see the facilities at Iowa?  High school at BEST.  I can't imagine what he could do with the support/facilities that Nebraska has.   He takes marginal talent and get so much out of them.  And, he knows the Big Ten.

I hope Bolt is okay, but not really excited about a guy whose A&M team actually hit worse that this season's Husker team.  Again, "meh".  Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Klas3131 said:

I'm in the dumber than a box of rocks group.  Just a "meh" hire.  A coach doesn't ALWAYS have to have Nebraska connections.  Rick Heller would have been outstanding!  It's simply amazing what that guy has done at Iowa.  He gets ZERO support from his administration.  Have you see the facilities at Iowa?  High school at BEST.  I can't imagine what he could do with the support/facilities that Nebraska has.   He takes marginal talent and get so much out of them.  And, he knows the Big Ten.

I hope Bolt is okay, but not really excited about a guy whose A&M team actually hit worse that this season's Husker team.  Again, "meh".  Just my opinion.

I could see that argument. Glad you mentioned Heller and not guys like Pat Casey, Childress and O'Connor - Moos certainly knocked on those doors, and those type of guys aren't gonna leave the top tier to come to a B1G school. Heller has great background and experience and I would have been happy with him as well. Bolt I think will offer more in the recruiting realm, which I think is why he got the nod. Also by all accounts he seems like the closest thing to a Dave Van Horn clone, and he will have DVH's ear on how to get this done. Try to think of him as a raw DVH, and that should help you feel a lot better. 

6 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I could see that argument. Glad you mentioned Heller and not guys like Pat Casey, Childress and O'Connor - Moos certainly knocked on those doors, and those type of guys aren't gonna leave the top tier to come to a B1G school. Heller has great background and experience and I would have been happy with him as well. Bolt I think will offer more in the recruiting realm, which I think is why he got the nod. Also by all accounts he seems like the closest thing to a Dave Van Horn clone, and he will have DVH's ear on how to get this done. Try to think of him as a raw DVH, and that should help you feel a lot better. 

If he's half as good as Van Horn, I'd be cool with that.

I have to admit I have a bias for Heller.  He was my residence hall director at Upper Iowa when I went there, and was the Peacock baseball coach.  Went to Northern Iowa and did great things with them.  When UNI shut down its baseball program, he went to Indiana State and led them to the best things that program had ever done.  Then, on to Iowa.  Plus, it would have been nice to stick it to the idiot Hawk fans.  

But I'll be firmly behind Will Bolt.  

If this is true, it's not a particularly experienced staff. They'll recruit the hell out of Texas. My guess is we don't see many kids outside of Nebraska and Texas. Christy as pitching coach is interesting, as a catcher he'll know how to handle a staff, but interesting how they'll coach mechanics. Time will tell.

1 minute ago, Klas3131 said:

If he's half as good as Van Horn, I'd be cool with that.

I have to admit I have a bias for Heller.  He was my residence hall director at Upper Iowa when I went there, and was the Peacock baseball coach.  Went to Northern Iowa and did great things with them.  When UNI shut down its baseball program, he went to Indiana State and led them to the best things that program had ever done.  Then, on to Iowa.  Plus, it would have been nice to stick it to the idiot Hawk fans.  

But I'll be firmly behind Will Bolt.  

He's impressed me a lot. Iowa was nothing before him, now they're a consistent threat in the B1G and to dance, and they certainly are scary to see in the tournament setting. 

The pitching coach pick is interesting

I can understand it from one perspective...  From what I remember Christy called his own games.  (That doesn't happen too often at Nebraska)  He has a knack for it.  He also did well in calling a couple of games at A&M when Childress got ejected and attended his daughter's graduation at UNL.  Also former catchers learn how to manage a staff through first hand observation and how to handle hitters.  Old catchers make good coaches in general.   

From a head scratching perspective for me ..I am not sure how much he knows about pitching mechanics&developing different pitches.    I don't know enough to have any idea on how that works.  Pretty much clueless.

What I find interesting is that Bolt served on staff with Christy and Silva for 3 years at Nebraska and he chose Christy to be the pitching coach.   Is that because he wanted a fresh staff at Nebraska?  Does he get along better with Christy?   Is Silva tired of his current position?  Maybe Christy is that good?   Maybe this has more to do with the recruiting coordinator duties and Lance Harvell.   Maybe Christy can recruit locally better than Silva and Harvell is a top notch recruiting coordinator.  It could be the overall combination of skills across the staff are better this way.      Time will tell.   

Edited by REDitus

4 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Does anyone know more about A&M's year this season? 0.251? That is worse than Nebraska's meager offense in 2019.

I'm not sure right off, but I know a lot of A&M fans who would love to have both Childress and Bolt gone. And many of them have pointed to batting averages as a key reason for that.

I have seen those A&M fans comments as well but I saw in the Bio's that Seely is the hitting coach and Bolt runs the offense.   It could be that Bolt was the hitting coach to begin with and his duties changed?  I think Harvell would be the hitting coach for  the new staff?

I am guessing but I would say..

Bolt - HC  

3rd base  coach & Offensive Coach.

Infield

Harvell  - Assistant Head Coach

Recruiting Coordinator & national recruiting

Outfield

Hitting Coach

Christy  -   Pitching Coach

Catchers

Local recruiting & assist with national recruiting

Ledbetter -  Volunteer Coach