Erstad has stepped down

Big Ten is a crap baseball conference.  A good percentage of the teams do not have lights.  Recruiting is difficult, yet not impossible, but it is hard to get players south of the Mason-Dixon line to come north or from the west coast to come to the central part of the country.  Remember, full schollies are rare if not impossible to give.  I would opine that you will want to bring in a coach that can convince the best players in Nebraska to stay home and then supplement those kids with Juco players.  Just my humble opinion.  

I for one will miss Coach Erstad.

16 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Big Ten is a crap baseball conference.  A good percentage of the teams do not have lights.  Recruiting is difficult, yet not impossible, but it is hard to get players south of the Mason-Dixon line to come north or from the west coast to come to the central part of the country.  Remember, full schollies are rare if not impossible to give.  I would opine that you will want to bring in a coach that can convince the best players in Nebraska to stay home and then supplement those kids with Juco players.  Just my humble opinion.  

I for one will miss Coach Erstad.

Lights?  How many B1G schools don't have lights?  How many B1G schools have improved their facilities since we joined the conference?  Southern/west coast schools can't give full schollies, either.  There's a coach out there that can recruit Nebraska players and has a winning track record in Division 1 play.  Probably won't happen, but I'm not betting against it.

Just now, cipsucks said:

Lights?  How many B1G schools don't have lights?  How many B1G schools have improved their facilities since we joined the conference?  Southern/west coast schools can't give full schollies, either.  There's a coach out there that can recruit Nebraska players and has a winning track record in Division 1 play.  Probably won't happen, but I'm not betting against it.

Off the top of my head NW, Michigan St, Rutgers? We were top 10 in attendance this year I believe and our conf title was the most attended title game in the country. I think we won’t be able to get a Tier 1 coach (a guy that top SEC schools or Big 12 schools would get) but I think a Tier 2 guy would absolutely consider us. 

18 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Off the top of my head NW, Michigan St, Rutgers? We were top 10 in attendance this year I believe and our conf title was the most attended title game in the country. I think we won’t be able to get a Tier 1 coach (a guy that top SEC schools or Big 12 schools would get) but I think a Tier 2 guy would absolutely consider us. 

I humbly disagree.  We have the money for whomever we want.  The question is:  do they want to come back to Lincoln?

1 hour ago, cipsucks said:

I humbly disagree.  We have the money for whomever we want.  The question is:  do they want to come back to Lincoln?

Childress is a different situation. I think we have a chance at him (said as much earlier). There are hurdles for baseball that we don't have for basketball and football and that's a fact. SEC, ACC, Big 12 and PAC 12 will always be the places the best of the best go. I think you're misinterpreting that as we can't land a pretty big fish - we can. We will be able to land a baseball coach that no other B1G team can land. 

Just because we've had the where does the Nebraska job fall in the hierarchy of jobs, discussion for football and basketball. And I'm a college baseball nerd. Here are my top 30 jobs. This is Tier 1. I think Nebraska falls somewhere in the next 30 along the likes of: Baylor, Missouri, Houston, Irvine, East Carolina, Wichita St, Tulane, Kentucky, Duke, Cal, Oklahoma.

1. LSU

2. Texas

3. Miss St

4. Florida

5. Georgia

6. Vandy

7. Arkansas

8. FSU

9. North Carolina

10. A&M

11. TCU

12. Miami

13. Oregon St

14. Texas Tech

15. South Carolina

16. Ole Miss

17. Stanford

18. Okie St

19. UCLA

20. L’Ville

21. Clemson

22. Tenn

23. Arizona St

24. Auburn

25. Ga Tech

26. Bama

27. USC

28. Virginia

29. Arizona

30(tie). Cal St

30(tie). Rice

Also up all night with a newborn, sorry for flooding this board. Here is what A&M fans think of Childress to Nebraska. They're pretty much begging us to take him. Moos will be contacting Childress, and there will be dialogue. IDK what Rob thinks, but if he is sick of fans/ad with one foot in greener pastures, and would rather return home a hero with a ton of job security, Nebraska would be in play. And Moos would be the luckiest (and savviest) Mother F'er to have Frost, Hoiberg, Childress all line-up freaking perfectly, all within 2 years. 

A&M Fans: https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/3039186

12 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Also up all night with a newborn, sorry for flooding this board. Here is what A&M fans think of Childress to Nebraska. They're pretty much begging us to take him. Moos will be contacting Childress, and there will be dialogue. IDK what Rob thinks, but if he is sick of fans/ad with one foot in greener pastures, and would rather return home a hero with a ton of job security, Nebraska would be in play. And Moos would be the luckiest (and savviest) Mother F'er to have Frost, Hoiberg, Childress all line-up freaking perfectly, all within 2 years. 

A&M Fans: https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/3039186

First off, been there and done that with a newborn.  Stay strong my friend

It looks like A&M fans are very restless with Rob and want him gone.  I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities for him to end up here.

I love Erstad's grit, passion, and love of NU.  But, IMO, he underachieved here.  I know I'm in the minority, and that's okay.  I didn't dislike him and want him gone.   But again, he underachieved.  The Big Ten is a PUTRID baseball conference.  Look at the attendance at these games, outside of Nebraska.  NO ONE goes.  It's pathetic.  NU has BY FAR the best baseball facilities.  Honestly, NU should have been winning the league title 2 out of every 3 years.  And to not even make the Big Ten tournament last year was inexcusable.  Can't make the top 8 in this conference, with these facilities?   And then there is Erstad's horrid postseason record.

Now, with that being said, I did like how he got the guys to buy in and play hard this year.  Until that series with Arizona State, it looked like another epic collapse to the season.  But the boys righted the ship, and I give Erstad a TON of credit for that.  The man bleeds Husker red, and I love that.  I just expected a bit more considering the baseball conference we are playing in.

I'm hoping for the Dallas Baptist coach.  That team has done a TON in the last few years.  I also have a small rooting interest in Rick Heller from Iowa, since he was my residence hall director in college 100 years ago.  LOL

19 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

I love Erstad's grit, passion, and love of NU.  But, IMO, he underachieved here.  I know I'm in the minority, and that's okay.  I didn't dislike him and want him gone.   But again, he underachieved.  The Big Ten is a PUTRID baseball conference.  Look at the attendance at these games, outside of Nebraska.  NO ONE goes.  It's pathetic.  NU has BY FAR the best baseball facilities.  Honestly, NU should have been winning the league title 2 out of every 3 years.  And to not even make the Big Ten tournament last year was inexcusable.  Can't make the top 8 in this conference, with these facilities?   And then there is Erstad's horrid postseason record.

Now, with that being said, I did like how he got the guys to buy in and play hard this year.  Until that series with Arizona State, it looked like another epic collapse to the season.  But the boys righted the ship, and I give Erstad a TON of credit for that.  The man bleeds Husker red, and I love that.  I just expected a bit more considering the baseball conference we are playing in.

I'm hoping for the Dallas Baptist coach.  That team has done a TON in the last few years.  I also have a small rooting interest in Rick Heller from Iowa, since he was my residence hall director in college 100 years ago.  LOL

Heefner from DBU would be a home run in the vein of Childress almost. Northern Iowa guy, even was an Asst at Creighton for a year. Regionals in 8 of 9 years, including a Super Regional. 40+ wins 8 of last 9 years. Did all this whole building a program from the ground up, in a state where there is 6 elite CBB programs. Can recruit Midwest as well as Texas. 

34 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

I think underachieved is a bit strong.  Remember, he took over a program that was in horrible shape after Anderson's last three years.  He, at the very least, righted the ship.  For never being a head coach, four regionals in 8 years isn't too shabby.  Now, will the roster need to be retooled?  Most likely.  I'm excited to see who Moos brings in.

15 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Just because we've had the where does the Nebraska job fall in the hierarchy of jobs, discussion for football and basketball. And I'm a college baseball nerd. Here are my top 30 jobs. This is Tier 1. I think Nebraska falls somewhere in the next 30 along the likes of: Baylor, Missouri, Houston, Irvine, East Carolina, Wichita St, Tulane, Kentucky, Duke, Cal, Oklahoma.

How would you rank the B1G jobs? 

17 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

1. Nebraska 

2. Indiana

3. Michigan 

4. Minnesota

5. Purdue

6. Maryland

7. Illinois

8. Ohio St

9. Iowa

10. MSU

11. Penn St

12. Rutgers 

13. Northwestern 

As was mentioned in today's OWH, there are probably several coaches, if not more, who would consider coaching a first place team in the B1G over a 9th place team in the SEC.  We might not have the pick of the litter like we did with Frost, but we're not settling for the runt, either.  BTW, thanks for your analysis.  Now, get some sleep.

4 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Ignorance and arrogance isn't exclusive to UT.  Here's another example how A&M isn't any different and why I'm glad we're away from all those people.

https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/3039281

I don't even have to read it to know that the Big 8 changed for the worse when it became the Big 12 culturally. I loved the quaint Big Eight, all fairly close in proximity & most were State Schools, even. So I don't mind those original Big 8 schools, yet the Texa$$'es of the new league can rot in Hades.