2019-20 Miles v. Hoiberg Roster Comparison

khoock

***TIM MILES HATERS STAY AWAY. THIS IS NOT A BASH TIM MILES THREAD***

I was cleaning up and found some of my early roster projections for 2019-20 BEFORE Miles was let go and Hoiberg was hired. Just wanted to put all the eligible players side by side and make some comparisons/start some discussion. I did not factor in any attrition that would have occurred under Miles.

2019-2020

Tim Miles

Fred Hoiberg

Back Court

Dachon Burke

Cam Mack

Jervay Green

Dachon Burke

Mika Adams-Woods

Jervay Green

Thomas Allen

Samari Curtis

Wings

Amir Harris

Haanif Cheatham

Karrington Davis

Matej Kavas

Nana Akenten

Thorir Thorbjarnarson

Thorir Thorbjarnarson

Front Court

Akol Arop

Akol Arop

Brady Hieman

Kevin Cross

Isaiah Roby

Shamiel Stevenson

Yvan Ouedraogo

3 hours ago, khoock said:

***TIM MILES HATERS STAY AWAY. THIS IS NOT A BASH TIM MILES THREAD***

I was cleaning up and found some of my early roster projections for 2019-20 BEFORE Miles was let go and Hoiberg was hired. Just wanted to put all the eligible players side by side and make some comparisons/start some discussion. I did not factor in any attrition that would have occurred under Miles.

2019-2020

Tim Miles

Fred Hoiberg

Back Court

Dachon Burke

Cam Mack

Jervay Green

Dachon Burke

Mika Adams-Woods

Jervay Green

Thomas Allen

Samari Curtis

Wings

Amir Harris

Haanif Cheatham

Karrington Davis

Matej Kavas

Nana Akenten

Thorir Thorbjarnarson

Thorir Thorbjarnarson

Front Court

Akol Arop

Akol Arop

Brady Hieman

Kevin Cross

Isaiah Roby

Shamiel Stevenson

Yvan Ouedraogo

From the sounds of things, including what Isaiah said recently (don't remember where I saw it but he was being interviewed about the draft) and basically sounds like Isaiah was planning on leaving regardless.  Same with Thomas Allen.  And I don't think Nana intended to stick around (not sure Miles would have kept him.)

So, how does it look if we take those 3 out of there?  That's what I was worried about heading into this coming season. I felt Miles really needed to do well this past season and make the tourney and win the game we've always wanted, because he was going to need to fill some spots and that would have been tough sledding without at least reaching the tourney.

I don't have a lot of confidence that, with the way the season ended, Miles would have had much recruiting success filling those spots and I felt he was no more than a year away from being let go regardless.  So, I think the team that would have taken the floor for Miles in the fall would look a lot like the above without Zay, Nana or TA.  And that's not a team that's likely going to win too many games for you.

Truthfully, I think there's a chance we would have lost Jervay Green had Miles been retained.  There were rumors of KU being interested before Miles was let go.

I'm just relieved that the dust has settled and, in the process of it settling, we (the athletic dept) managed to land a proven coach who was immediately able to fill the roster with some pretty solid players.  I shudder to think what things would have looked like if we'd either kept Miles or replaced him with some other unproven (at this level) mid-major coach.  

I love Timmeh, but the rosters are no contest. 

This new team will be demonstrably more talented than the one we most likely would've put on the floor next season. 

For the new guys, the question isn't' going to be talent. it's going to be chemistry. And that wasn't going to be the first concern for next year's squad (although it would've been number two after the epic meltdown). 

Any word on Tim's next move while we're on the sorta subject? 

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

From the sounds of things, including what Isaiah said recently (don't remember where I saw it but he was being interviewed about the draft) and basically sounds like Isaiah was planning on leaving regardless.  Same with Thomas Allen.  And I don't think Nana intended to stick around (not sure Miles would have kept him.)

So, how does it look if we take those 3 out of there?  That's what I was worried about heading into this coming season. I felt Miles really needed to do well this past season and make the tourney and win the game we've always wanted, because he was going to need to fill some spots and that would have been tough sledding without at least reaching the tourney.

I don't have a lot of confidence that, with the way the season ended, Miles would have had much recruiting success filling those spots and I felt he was no more than a year away from being let go regardless.  So, I think the team that would have taken the floor for Miles in the fall would look a lot like the above without Zay, Nana or TA.  And that's not a team that's likely going to win too many games for you.

Truthfully, I think there's a chance we would have lost Jervay Green had Miles been retained.  There were rumors of KU being interested before Miles was let go.

I'm just relieved that the dust has settled and, in the process of it settling, we (the athletic dept) managed to land a proven coach who was immediately able to fill the roster with some pretty solid players.  I shudder to think what things would have looked like if we'd either kept Miles or replaced him with some other unproven (at this level) mid-major coach.  

Agree some of it was also Tim not having a long term contract.