Meet the 2019-2020 University of Nebraska Men's Basketball Team

21 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Haanif Cheatham, 6-6 195# Sr Guard, Rivals 4-star #76 player in Class of 2015

Norm's take:

Probably the best senior transfer we've ever had. He has the reputation as a lock-down defender, so he can take away the other team's best offensive weapon.  But he can also score.  Look at those shooting numbers.  Across 4 other seasons, with the exception of his sophomore slump, he's consistently been in the high 30s from deep.  But he also gets to the rim and is strong enough to finish against contact.  Question mark is his health.  I know he had a shoulder issue at FGCU with his shooting arm.  Is he healthy?  If so, and if he can avoid the high number of turnovers (which is the biggest concern I see on paper), then he's an impact player who has the versatility to contribute at a number of different positions. Of note -- and of interest for the Shamiel Stevenson situation -- he has a full year of eligibility left, but he also has played in parts of 4 seasons already.  He played 5 games his junior year at Marquette, similar to the 4 games that Shamiel played as a sophomore at Pitt.  So ...

Season Averages
SEASON TEAM
2015-16
2016-17
2017-18
2018-19

GP GS MIN FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
33 33 29.5 4.0-8.1 48.9 0.9-2.3 38.7 3.0-3.7 82.0 0.4 3.0 3.4 2.2 0.0 1.0 2.0 2.7 11.8
32 25 25.4 2.9-6.3 45.8 0.4-1.3 32.5 2.5-3.2 76.7 0.7 3.2 3.8 2.2 0.1 0.7 1.5 1.6 8.7
5 5 26.2 3.2-7.4 43.2 1.0-2.6 38.5 0.8-1.4 57.1 0.4 2.4 2.8 1.4 0.0 1.0 1.4 1.6 8.2
10 10 27.3 4.9-10.8 45.4 0.8-2.2 36.4 2.6-4.0 65.0 0.4 4.4 4.8 1.9 0.2 1.2 1.2 2.4 13.2

I like because he is a wrong arm.

I finally got around to reading all of Norm's thoughts and looking at all the clips. I am now convinced that this year's team will be an enigma wrapped in a mystery inside a riddle and covered under a big dollop of poutine until the league season begins. It appears to my aging eyes that Mack and Green are the only sure starters and most of the rest will feel that they should also be starters. Who will end up being a pouter or locker room downer? Who will hit the weight room with a vengeance? Who will be the defensive stopper and sacrifice being the go-to guy on offense? Who will avoid injuries and be more concerned with team wins than individual stats? We really have no handle on how any of these players (except Thor) will mesh in a team situation. Big job for coaches, fun time for fans. I can hardly wait to see how this year plays out.

On 6/1/2019 at 5:19 PM, Huskerpapa said:

Random thought; I wonder if there is any consideration/possibility that the final practice (before the Italy trip) be opened up to the public at PBA?

Did Hoiberg have open practices at ISU?

6 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Norm, Who do you think will be our top 3 average scorers next year? From the looks of it we have like 8 guys who can all average 12 a game....

I haven't a clue. I think someone will surprise us.

Based on the skills he shows in the highlight vids and what I saw watching his games on-line last year, I think Jervay is probably the odds-on favorite to be the leading scorer. Mack will have the ball in his hands a lot.  He should get his share of points.  I think Cheatham, Stevenson or Burke could also be in the top 3.  Probably any two of those five will be in the top three.

How's that for being non-committal?  I think they all can score in bunches if they get the chance. They all proved it at their last stop before here.

Who do you think?

26 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Based on the skills he shows in the highlight vids and what I saw watching his games on-line last year, I think Jervay is probably the odds-on favorite to be the leading scorer. Mack will have the ball in his hands a lot.  He should get his share of points.  I think Cheatham, Stevenson or Burke could also be in the top 3.  Probably any two of those five will be in the top three.

How's that for being non-committal?  I think they all can score in bunches if they get the chance. They all proved it at their last stop before here.

Who do you think?

Agree, i think we will have a lit of scorers in that 8-12 ppg scoring range. Will be interesting to see who becomes the first amd second options. My guess is Green and Burke. No clue on who #3 could be.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Who do you think?

I'll go with based off stats Green, Cheatham,  and I'll say Burke because I think he will get his from 3. Mack can definitely get his too though.

I love our front court dont get me wrong but not next year. I think front court is the toughest to adapt too. Sure you're big but how physical can you be especially in the B1G year 1? Dont get me wrong those kids will shine when the 2nd wave of guard talent comes in and we got plenty of that coming! As far as defense? With all respect to Balham, Ubel. Etc these kids are far more talented.  I have no doubt Doc will have these kids getting after it from the go. I think we have a team we can be proud of just will take time to gel and learn how to win. I have no doubt Hoiberg will teach that.

I'm just so glad we have coach Hoiberg and the days of futility are coming to and end and I'll no longer get neg bombed :) I'm all in with my Husker brethren between Hoiberg and Frost I couldn't ask for more. I'll be making the trip for KC to Lincoln this weekend floods and all to buy some Husker gear and snap some pics of my beloved DONU. GBR!

• 1 month later...

Great work @Norm Peterson  @hhcmatt should pin this.

Kevin Cross and Yvan Ouedraogo are really intriguing. I think both will see significant minutes, especially once we start BIG 10 play. We are going to need some guys who bang in the middle.

Those 2 will be put into the fire early. Like you Norm I wonder how Matej Kavas is going to fit in.

As for starters I think Jervay Green is a lock. 

I'm sure FH is going to spend the early part of the season playing with lineups.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Great work @Norm Peterson  @hhcmatt should pin this.

Kevin Cross and Yvan Ouedraogo are really intriguing. I think both will see significant minutes, especially once we start BIG 10 play. We are going to need some guys who bang in the middle.

Those 2 will be put into the fire early. Like you Norm I wonder how Matej Kavas is going to fit in.

As for starters I think Jervay Green is a lock. 

I'm sure FH is going to spend the early part of the season playing with lineups.

Thanks my dude 

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If you want to watch Yvan play for France, the athletic department is apparently going to stream it?

All the games will be streamed by FIBA. The U just put out an article with the times that France plays.

Not sure if France will play Germany in the tourney but the Germans have Mo Wagner's younger brother Franz who will play for Michigan this year.

image.png

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

All the games will be streamed by FIBA. The U just put out an article with the times that France plays.

Not sure if France will play Germany in the tourney but the Germans have Mo Wagner's younger brother Franz who will play for Michigan this year.

image.png

Franz will be playing against France?

• 1 month later...

Really good preview of the Big Ten up today on Three Man Weave.  Here's just a small taste of the Nebraska section:

Outlook: Headline: Nebrasketball undergoes a major overhaul… The Huskers let go of Tim Miles at the end of last season, a coach the Weave hold in high regard. Miles spent seven years at the helm of Nebraska and built the program to respectability, taking the Huskers to their first NCAA Tournament in 2014 since 1998. Injuries derailed what was supposed to be a banner year in Lincoln, as Nebraska finished just 6-14 in Big Ten play following a 13-5 breakout season in 2017-18. Now the program turns to Fred Hoiberg, the former Iowa State and Chicago Bulls coach, who comes back to the college ranks for the first time since 2014-15. Hoiberg was a homerun hire for a school not known for basketball; he took the Cyclones to four straight NCAA Tournaments before jumping ship to the pros, and his squads were always among the most fun to watch in college basketball. Just as he did at Iowa State, Hoiberg brings in a boatload of transfers to give Nebraska a completely new look for the 2019-20 season.

(Read the full preview here:  https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/big-ten-basketball-2020-preview)