NCAA Baseball Tourney Thread

40 minutes ago, 49r said:

Anybody else watching the Royals vs Tigers from TD Ameritrade park tonight?

Aside from the 3 inning technical difficulties, this is really cool. I really hope this becomes an annual tradition. George Brett talking in the booth, CWS teams enjoy a night in the ballpark, fans and locals get a night of MLB, Matthew Boyd gets to pitch on this field as an Oregon State Beaver and now a Detroit Tiger. It just seems like a unique and fun event that could become something pretty special.

Just now, HuskerFever said:

Aside from the 3 inning technical difficulties, this is really cool. I really hope this becomes an annual tradition. George Brett talking in the booth, CWS teams enjoy a night in the ballpark, fans and locals get a night of MLB, Matthew Boyd gets to pitch on this field as an Oregon State Beaver and now a Detroit Tiger. It just seems like a unique and fun event that could become something pretty special.

Sounds like some of the Royals are put out about playing in Omaha.

11 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Very cool.  They were also talking about how it just made too much sense to hold the MLB draft in Omaha leading up to the CWS as well which I think it s brilliant idea. With the MLB game (it doesn't *have* to be the Royals every time, I'm sure Ricketts wouldn't mind bringing the Cubs in for this sometime) you could make it that much more of a spectacle.

Here's a quick look at the 8 CWS teams this year:

Arkansas: 46-18, 10th CWS, 0 titles

Auburn: 38-26, 5th CWS, 0 titles

Florida State: 41-21, 23rd CWS (3rd most), 0 titles

Louisville: 48-16, 5th CWS, 0 titles

Michigan: 46-20, 8th CWS, 2 titles

Mississippi State: 51-13, 11th CWS, 0 titles

Texas Tech: 44-28, 4th CWS, 0 titles

Vanderbilt: 54-11, 4th CWS, 1 title

32 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Here's a quick look at the 8 CWS teams this year:

Arkansas: 46-18, 10th CWS, 0 titles

Auburn: 38-26, 5th CWS, 0 titles

Florida State: 41-21, 23rd CWS (3rd most), 0 titles

Louisville: 48-16, 5th CWS, 0 titles

Michigan: 46-20, 8th CWS, 2 titles

Mississippi State: 51-13, 11th CWS, 0 titles

Texas Tech: 44-28, 4th CWS, 0 titles

Vanderbilt: 54-11, 4th CWS, 1 title

The one team I want to cheer against knocked out Creighton.  I'm so conflicted...

Here's the coaches salaries for the teams in the College World Series this year (just base salary, not including bonuses etc.):

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1455405001

Vanderbilt’s Tim Corbin: $1,318,162 (pay for 2017 calendar year, according to school’s federal tax records)

Arkansas’s Dave Van Horn: $1,100,000 (includes $175,000 paid to coach by Easton Sports)

Louisville’s Dan McDonnell: $1,100,000

Auburn’s Butch Thompson: $1,000,000

Texas Tech’s Tim Tadlock: $1,000,000

Florida State’s Mike Martin: $700,000

Mississippi State’s Chris Lemonis: $600,000

Michigan’s Erik Bakich: $425,000

11 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Both remaining "Last Four In" teams (Michigan and Florida State) won their Day 1 games. Off to a great start for those underdog teams.

I’m all in on Mike Martin getting one. Seems like a genuine dude you can’t help but love. Huge spot in my heart for the guys like Martin and Augie that shaped college baseball.

Ark puts a runner on 3rd with one out and can't score him in the 8th. Why not bunt him in? Didn't even try. Then a hit batsman and a tough play at 2nd manufactures a run and a win. FSU didn't WIN that game as much as Ark lost it. Still a great game between two really good teams.

3 minutes ago, KZRider said:

Ark puts a runner on 3rd with one out and can't score him in the 8th. Why not bunt him in? Didn't even try. Then a hit batsman and a tough play at 2nd manufactures a run and a win. FSU didn't WIN that game as much as Ark lost it. Still a great game between two really good teams.

FSU pitching was impressive. Both dudes FSU threw had nastyyy stuff (same with Arkansas). Great pitching this evening. 

Auburn going to kick itself for awhile for booting this game away. I feel bad for the 3rd baseman because he had been having a good game until he double clutched that throw. Then the wheels just came off for Auburn. Sort of reminds me of how Huskers lost to OSU sans the home run blast.

7 minutes ago, KZRider said:

Auburn going to kick itself for awhile for booting this game away. I feel bad for the 3rd baseman because he had been having a good game until he double clutched that throw. Then the wheels just came off for Auburn. Sort of reminds me of how Huskers lost to OSU sans the home run blast.

That crossed my mind as well with the run difference going into the btm of the 9th.