Juwan Howard is “N” @ Michigan

Taking a page out of the Harbaugh/Frost playbook, Michigan has went high profile alum in an effort to keep Big Blue rolling. The big difference of course is this is Howard’s first head coaching gig at any level. This will cause a splash initially and will definitely open some recruiting doors, but we’ll see if he can really “Coach” when the live bullets start flying...

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Taking a page out of the Harbaugh/Frost playbook, Michigan has went high profile alum in an effort to keep Big Blue rolling. The big difference of course is this is Howard’s first head coaching gig at any level. This will cause a splash initially and will definitely open some recruiting doors, but we’ll see if he can really “Coach” when the live bullets start flying...

Difference being that Frost and Harbaugh both had demonstrated, proven success as college head coaches before they returned as HCs to their alma maters.

38 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Difference being that Frost and Harbaugh both had demonstrated, proven success as college head coaches before they returned as HCs to their alma maters.

Hmmmmm......seems to sound a lot like what happened at Iowa State a few years back when Fred Hoiberg was hired at his alma mater.  That worked out pretty well for Iowa State.....

16 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

Hmmmmm......seems to sound a lot like what happened at Iowa State a few years back when Fred Hoiberg was hired at his alma mater.  That worked out pretty well for Iowa State.....

True. And Patrick Ewing at G'town had no prior head coaching experience. And Penny Hardaway had no prior head coaching experience before Memphis. 

We'll see how it works out for Juwan Howard. I'm generally skeptical of elevating guys to P5 head gigs without some experience to show that they have more than just a name.  I'm glad Frost went the route of being a head coach somewhere else before coming here.  The sample sizes are very small for Penny and Patrick, but it's seemed to work out well for their schools.  Not so much for St. John's and Chris Mullin, however.

I'll be interested to see how this turns out. I had Howard on my list of a dozen-plus names I would've liked Moos to kick the tires on, if he let Miles go (of course that was before he pulled off "the impossible").

I can't even imagine a scenario where Howard fails at recruiting. And he spent a decade learning the Heat system under Pat Riley and Eric Spoelstra. So I don't really see him pulling a Mullin (especially since Mullin didn't have any coaching experience and then phoned-it-in once he was hired). But he'll probably have a hard time replicating Beilein's success. Which will likely be problematic for Michigan fan.

3 hours ago, royalfan said:

Without having tremendous knowledge about Michigan athletics etc., I would not be tremendously excited about this if I were a Michigan fan.  

I was wondering the same thing.  I checked out one of the Michigan fan boards linked from the thread on this board.  I'm guessing 95% of posters were all in on Howard.  Not surprising, that's the same percentage of the people who have to use the "F" word in their posts.  

Culturally, we don't fit in the B1G, especially the East Division.  Don't get me wrong, I don't miss the big12.  The money here is great.  I'm just waiting for the day when we kick these mother f****** rear ends in football AND basketball.  ?  

It's gonna happen sooner rather than later...

This is an interesting pick.  Running your own program is not a piece of cake.  I have to assume that he has a staff in mind, but it had better had a mix of recruiters and x and o studs...otherwise, there will be an interesting transformation in Ann Arbor.

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

No small thing Cooley turned them down and Howard wasn't their first choice.

Did he turn them down or did he interview, get a pay bump and remove himself from consideration? Guys on radio speculating the later and he was not their first pick. Who knows, I think he is a good, not great coach and would not have been real fired up if we hired him let alone Michigan

29 minutes ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

Can't really blame them for being jealous we hired F*** before they had a chance to.

We got arguably the top coach on the market.  They got a former player who has never run a program before.  Who would have believed things would turn out this way?

1 hour ago, busticket said:

We got arguably the top coach on the market.  They got a former player who has never run a program before.  Who would have believed things would turn out this way?

Yeah, at least Nebrasketball could have had Tyronn Lue potentially. He's an accomplished head coach in the NBA. And probably a better assistant in the league, but that's debatable. Who knows how Juwan Howard translates back to college hoops, and the same would have held true if Lue had landed in Lincoln.

Man, this makes me even more glad that Hoiberg is 'N' as Nebraska got their man, once again, with Frosty a year-and-a-half ago. GBR !!!

On 5/23/2019 at 6:49 PM, cipsucks said:

I was wondering the same thing.  I checked out one of the Michigan fan boards linked from the thread on this board.  I'm guessing 95% of posters were all in on Howard.  Not surprising, that's the same percentage of the people who have to use the "F" word in their posts.  

Culturally, we don't fit in the B1G, especially the East Division.  Don't get me wrong, I don't miss the big12.  The money here is great.  I'm just waiting for the day when we kick these mother f****** rear ends in football AND basketball.  ?  

It's gonna happen sooner rather than later...

Agreed, I always thought the Big 10 was a joke for years (football wise) and I’m sick to death of being treated like a stepchild. AND the BTN couldn’t be any farther up Ohio St’s a**, enuff already. Time for the Big Red to implement a scorched earth policy...

Edited by Handy Johnson

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yeah, at least Nebrasketball could have had Tyronn Lue potentially. He's an accomplished head coach in the NBA. And probably a better assistant in the league, but that's debatable. Who knows how Juwan Howard translates back to college hoops, and the same would have held true if Lue had landed in Lincoln.

Inwould have had the same questions about Lue.  Being a HC in the NBA, he obviously has technical knowledge of the game and was able to manage personalities.  We have no clue how well he would recruit.  And honestly, how well can he in game coach?  It doesn’t take much coaching acumen to give the ball to Lebron every time things get dicey.

Actually disregard that last point.  I forgot Kevin Cross committed.

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Man, this makes me even more glad that Hoiberg is 'N' as Nebraska got their man, once again, with Frosty a year-and-a-half ago. GBR !!!

I don't know how Howard will work either.  But honestly, this is no different than when Iowa State hired Fred Hoiberg with even LESS experience than Howard has.   Michigan is a much bigger name than Iowa State.  And Fred wasn't following an extremely successful coach like Howard is doing.  But to think that Howard won't work simply because he's never run his own program is naive.  It's worked before.  Fred is a classic example.

29 minutes ago, busticket said:

Inwould have had the same questions about Lue.  Being a HC in the NBA, he obviously has technical knowledge of the game and was able to manage personalities.  We have no clue how well he would recruit.  And honestly, how well can he in game coach?  It doesn’t take much coaching acumen to give the ball to Lebron every time things get dicey.

He did make some great tactical changes that helped them come back from 3-1 down against Warriors.  Changed my stance a bit on his coaching ability.  

32 minutes ago, busticket said:

I have to think that Lue would have been heady enough to do the same thing that Hoiberg did: hire guy(s) who can recruit.

10 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

I don't know how Howard will work either.  But honestly, this is no different than when Iowa State hired Fred Hoiberg with even LESS experience than Howard has.   Michigan is a much bigger name than Iowa State.  And Fred wasn't following an extremely successful coach like Howard is doing.  But to think that Howard won't work simply because he's never run his own program is naive.  It's worked before.  Fred is a classic example.

I agree, Michigan is going to do fine no matter who they put in charge.  As Jon Rothstein says:

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=villanova fortune 500 runs itself from%3Ajonrothstein&src=typd

(but substitute Michigan for Villanova...you get the point)

Edited by 49r

30 minutes ago, 49r said:

I agree, Michigan is going to do fine no matter who they put in charge.  As Jon Rothstein says:

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=villanova fortune 500 runs itself from%3Ajonrothstein&src=typd

(but substitute Michigan for Villanova...you get the point)

I used to think that about Nebraska football circa 1998.

2 hours ago, Klas3131 said:

Freddy was born to be The Mayor.... in Lincoln. ?