Nebraska has never been to the Big Dance

So says Iowa St Athletic Director Jamie Pollard. 

The butt hurt from Iowa St fans and now their administration has been as enjoyable as our coaches getting after it on the recruiting trail. 

About halfway down. 

https://qctimes.com/sports/basketball/college/prohm-expects-foreign-trip-to-benefit-isu/article_41e4cc4f-afb0-5ebd-ae2f-aff509ccca80.html

I repeat this as often as I can. There are two things I know for sure:

1. Nebraska has a better all-time winning percentage than ISU in men's basketball.
  2. Nebraska leads the all-time series with ISU in men's basketball.

Fortunately, I know the writer. I'll send him an email. I mean, if ISU is serious about rectifying those stats, they'll want to schedule Nebraska as soon as possible to even out the series, right?

Edited by jayschool

The exact quote is even more ridiculous.

"Asked by a young fan in the crowd if that was a possibility, director of athletics Jamie Pollard suggested that the only possibility might be in the NCAA tourney, quickly pointing out, “That’s one thing Nebraska hasn’t been to ever. They’ve got a little work to do before we might be seeing them on the court.’’

10 hours ago, cipsucks said:

The Quad City Times doing a story on Iowa State is like the Journal/Star doing a story on Creighton.  I would ask why?  Hoiberg and the Huskers are still living rent free in the minds of Cyclone fans!!!!

Pollard was in Bettendorf for an event. Otherwise, Steve Batterson is a UI grad who covers the Hawkeyes. Guess we're not having enough NCAA investigations or basketball turmoil for Steve to drive west.

15 hours ago, hskr4life said:

"Asked by a young fan in the crowd if that was a possibility, director of athletics Jamie Pollard suggested that the only possibility might be in the NCAA tourney, quickly pointing out, “That’s one thing Nebraska hasn’t been to ever. They’ve got a little work to do before we might be seeing them on the court.’’

yeah I shot Pollard a note telling him he probably needs to know what he's talking about before bashing another school.  Doubt I'll get a response, but I wanted to point out that we actually have been to the NCAA Tournament a number of times.  I believe that the first round still counts as an appearance, even if they have not won one. 

15 hours ago, jayschool said:

I repeat this as often as I can. There are two things I know for sure:

1. Nebraska has a better all-time winning percentage than ISU in men's basketball.
  2. Nebraska leads the all-time series with ISU in men's basketball.

Fortunately, I know the writer. I'll send him an email. I mean, if ISU is serious about rectifying those stats, they'll want to schedule Nebraska as soon as possible to even out the series, right?

I let Pollard know these facts via twitter

Meh, sounds like he was just playing to his audience there. But he does seem like someone who is pretty tone deaf when it comes to rivalries. I don't see Moos going out of his way to dis the Colorado basketball team even though we had a pretty good rivalry with their fans at one time. Pollard should be denigrating KU or Iowa if he wants to be more relevant to iowa State basketball rivalries-i.e. teams they actually play. I'll be interested to see if there is any sort of reply to your emails. 

I'm pretty sure I was in San Antonio in 2014 to see Nebraska play in the NCAA Tournament.

I'm also pretty sure Jamie Pollard was in San Antonio that same weekend to watch Iowa State play in that same tournament.

Surprising that he didn't manage to notice the hordes of Nebraska fans wandering around on the riverwalk.  As I recall, we seemed to significantly outnumber all the other fan bases in San Antonio that weekend.

But, then again, it's also possible none of that ever happened.

Edited by 49r

22 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Meh, sounds like he was just playing to his audience there. But he does seem like someone who is pretty tone deaf when it comes to rivalries. I don't see Moos going out of his way to dis the Colorado basketball team even though we had a pretty good rivalry with their fans at one time. Pollard should be denigrating KU or Iowa if he wants to be more relevant to iowa State basketball rivalries-i.e. teams they actually play. I'll be interested to see if there is any sort of reply to your emails. 

From the reporter, Steve Batterson, in an email response (he didn't correct Pollard for the record, though): "Jamie knows how to play to his crowd, even if he has to stretch things a bit."

I guess "stretch things a bit" is the 2019 version of "lie."

Edited by jayschool

16 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I'm glad to hear they're eager to put a team like Rutgers on their schedule then...

6 hours ago, jayschool said:

From the reporter, Steve Batterson, in an email response (he didn't correct Pollard for the record, though): "Jamie knows how to play to his crowd, even if he has to stretch things a bit."

Why did the reporter report the quote without correcting the record?  Isn't that some kind of journalistic malfeasance?

4 hours ago, jayschool said:

I would say it is. Steve is an acquaintance, but not correcting an error is a problem, for sure. 

It's stupid. Amazing that a great number people within the paper industry wonder why folks don't want to continue to pay for some of this drivel... perplexing reply to J's legitimate inquiry. Seems bombastic that a legit journalist would ignore facts so grossly. What is this, Cuba?

22 hours ago, jayschool said:

Alternative Facts I think is the term we currently are to use.  

Mayor can wait: Don’t expect any Iowa State men’s basketball games soon against Fred Hoiberg-coached Nebraska.

Asked by a young fan in the crowd if that was a possibility, director of athletics Jamie Pollard suggested that the only possibility might be in the NCAA tourney, quickly pointing out, “That’s one thing Nebraska hasn’t been to ever. They’ve got a little work to do before we might be seeing them on the court.’’

It should be clarified, Nebraska has in fact been to the NCAA Tournament seven times, although they have not won a game in the NCAA Tournament.

^^That's how a real reporter could have handled that mess of a lie. 

36 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Mayor can wait: Don’t expect any Iowa State men’s basketball games soon against Fred Hoiberg-coached Nebraska.

Asked by a young fan in the crowd if that was a possibility, director of athletics Jamie Pollard suggested that the only possibility might be in the NCAA tourney, quickly pointing out, “That’s one thing Nebraska hasn’t been to ever. They’ve got a little work to do before we might be seeing them on the court.’’

It should be clarified, Nebraska has in fact been to the NCAA Tournament seven times, although they have not won a game in the NCAA Tournament.

^^That's how a real reporter could have handled that mess of a lie. 

True, and an even better reporter would have employed a semicolon. 

Pollard was wrong: Nebraska has been to the NCAA Tournament seven times; however, the Cornhuskers — who hold an all-time series lead against ISU — have not won a game in the NCAA Tournament.

28 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Pollard was wrong: Nebraska has been to the NCAA Tournament seven times; however, the Cornhuskers — who hold an all-time series lead against ISU — have not won a game in the NCAA Tournament.

Exactly: Call a spade a spade.

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

Yes. Very true. He missed a crucial opportunity to employ a semicolon. That's almost unforgiveable. 

39 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yes. Very true. He missed a crucial opportunity to employ a semicolon. That's almost unforgivable. 

Norm, if there is nothing else, we can certainly agree with this.

?