WBB: Game #23 @ Northwestern

Row6Seat10

Nebraska Cornhuskers (16-6, 6-3 Big Ten) at Northwestern Wildcats (11-11, 3-6 Big Ten)

Thursday, Feb. 7th, 7 p.m.

Welsh-Ryan Arena

Live Video: BTN.com

Radio: 25-Station IMG College Husker Sports Network (PBP-Matt Coatney; Analyst-Jeff Griesch)

(KBBK 107.3 FM, Lincoln; KFFF 93.3 FM, Omaha; KRVN 880 AM, Lexington; KHAS 1230

AM, Hastings; KNEB 94.1 FM, Scottsbluff; KCOW 1400 AM, Alliance)

Free Internet Audio: Huskers.com

BCNJWpdCEAAWTSg.jpg

Huskers Take Aim at Fourth Big Ten Road Win at NorthwesternThe Nebraska women's basketball team travels in search of its fourth Big Ten Conference road win of the season when the Huskers take on the Northwestern Wildcats Thursday night in Evanston, Ill. Tip-off between the Huskers and the Wildcats is set for 7 p.m. from Welsh-Ryan Arena on the Northwestern campus.

Thursday's game features two of the Big Ten's hottest teams. The Huskers are riding a four-game winning streak after running to an 80-56 win over Minnesota. Northwestern has won three of its last five Big Ten games, including road wins at Illinois and Iowa. The Wildcats' two losses during the stretch came at Purdue and to Michigan State. Northwestern's lone Big Ten home win came with a victory over Indiana.

Big Ten Player-of-the-Year candidate Jordan Hooper has fueled the Huskers' recent surge, averaging 24.3 points over the last four contests. Jordan has produced double figures in all nine Big Ten games this season and is averaging 19.0 points and 8.6 boards on the year.

Hooper needs just three points to reach 1,500 in her career, while senior teammate Lindsey Moore is just 11 away from 1,500 career points as well. Moore leads the Big Ten in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.2) and is averaging 15.0 points, 3.1 rebounds, 5.6 assists and 1.9 steals per game on the year.

Northwestern brings arguably the Big Ten's biggest and most balanced lineup into Thursday night's clash with Nebraska. Kendall Hackney, a 6-2 senior forward, leads the Wildcats with 14.9 points per game, while ranking second on the team with 6.0 rebounds. Hackney is shooting 45 percent from the field, including 38 percent (30-79) from three-point range. Hackney will be playing in her 119th game while making her 107th career start.

Fellow senior Dannielle Diamant adds 12.2 points and a team-leading 7.5 rebounds per game.

Nebraska leads the all-time series with Northwestern, 5-2, after splitting a pair of games with the Wildcats last season.

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers

3 - Hailie Sample - 6-1 - So. - F

23 - Emily Cady - 6-2 - So. - F

35 - Jordan Hooper - 6-2 - Jr. - F

00 - Lindsey Moore - 5-9 - Sr. - G

24 - Rachel Theriot - 6-0 - Fr. - G

Northwestern Wildcats

4 - Kendall Hackney - 6-2 - Sr. - F

11 - Lauren Douglas - 6-2 - Fr. - F

31 - Dannielle Diamant - 6-5 - Sr.

25 - Maggie Lyon - 6-1 - Fr. - F

42 - Karly Roser - 5-10 - So. - G

Senior All-America candidate Lindsey Moore is expected to make the 121st consecutive start of her career when the Huskers play Northwestern on Thursday.

Lindsey Moore moved into Nebraska's career top 10 in steals with the 190th steal of her career in the Huskers' win over Minnesota on Feb. 3. Moore tied Lis Brenden (190, 1993-96) at No. 10 on Nebraska's all-time list. With her next steal, Moore will catch Diane DelVigna at No. 9 in Husker history with 191 (1979-80), and Moore is on pace to become just the ninth player in Nebraska history with 200 career steals.

Lindsey Moore became just the second Husker in history to reach the 600-career assist mark. The 5-9 senior point guard from Covington, Wash., ranks No. 2 on the Husker all-time assist chart with 627, trailing only school record holder Meggan Yedsena (696). Moore is just the eighth player in Big Ten Conference history to reach 600 career assists. Moore, a Nancy Lieberman Award candidate, needs 69 assists to catch Yedsena at the top of the Husker assist list. Moore is averaging 5.6 assists.

Huskers Head to Northwestern………………..huskers.com

Click here to view the article

I'm curious as to why all of a sudden our players are getting stress reactions/fractures.  We haven't really had them in the past and we've played the same style in the past.  Is it just "our time" so to speak?

With the amount of conditioning in practice combined with the wear and tear of the season, it's pretty easy to get stress reactions

I'm curious as to why all of a sudden our players are getting stress reactions/fractures.  We haven't really had them in the past and we've played the same style in the past.  Is it just "our time" so to speak?

With the amount of conditioning in practice combined with the wear and tear of the season, it's pretty easy to get stress reactions

Right, but our players in the past haven't really had the them, but this year we have quite a few.  Probably a combination of the above stated wear and tear plus the fact that we just don't have a lot of depth therefore the players are playing more total minutes.

Was Iowa looking ahead of their game with Minnesota tonight and thinking of Monday night's match-up with the Huskers? Here are some exerts from their press conference held Tuesday.

Q. Three days for Nebraska then?

COACH BLUDER: We might just go shooting on Friday because I'm a little bit nervous. Yesterday was off, and I don't want to go until next Thursday. That's a lot of days in a row without time off. I think that's too much. I feel like Friday's got to be a day off or a partial day off, maybe just shooting, not going up and down the floor, having the mental taxation of having to prepare for a scout, concentrating on things like that. It does really alter your schedule.

Q. As far as Nebraska is concerned, what have they given in their short time here?

COACH BLUDER: Their women's basketball team has done great. Last year they made it to the championship game of our Big Ten tournament the first year they're in the conference. I think that right there is a pretty good statement of what they brought to our conference. Another great competitor. For us, it's kind of closer to home so it's kind of a nice rivalry. I think fans get excited about that. I think it's been a good addition to our conference.

Q. What did they do to give you trouble last year?

COACH BLUDER: I think their pressure defense is really good. I think that hurt us more than anything last year. I really haven't looked at
them this year yet. I heard they're doing some kind of strange zone that's very different for Connie. As long as I've known Connie, which is a long time, she's always been a player to player person, real aggressive denial. That's what she was last year. This year I've heard she changed a little bit. Kind of anxious to see it but I'm going to wait till after the Minnesota game to start looking at it.

And after tonights loss at Minnesota:

"We have to get back in the gym and start getting ready for Nebraska and turn the page on this one," Bluder said. "We have to turn all of our optimism and everything we have toward Nebraska."

Hope the team can finish strong.  The lack of depth may show up at crucial times down the stretch.  Last night Moore and Hooper were most of the offense.  Nevertheless, the team has the opportunity to finish in the top three of the league and get a first round bye in the tournament.  Both Iowa games appear to be crucial.  Doubt we can beat Penn St.

Hope the team can finish strong.  The lack of depth may show up at crucial times down the stretch.  Last night Moore and Hooper were most of the offense.  Nevertheless, the team has the opportunity to finish in the top three of the league and get a first round bye in the tournament.  Both Iowa games appear to be crucial.  Doubt we can beat Penn St.

Moore and Hooper have been the scoring for most of the season. So last night wasn't a surprise. Simon needs to start getting a few more minutes than she has. This would help relive some of the stress being put on Cady and Hooper.

Moore and Hooper have been the scoring for most of the season. So last night wasn't a surprise. Simon needs to start getting a few more minutes than she has. This would help relive some of the stress being put on Cady and Hooper.

Simon is a liability out there.  Just like Meghin Williams.  By more minutes I hope you don't mean more than 2 or 3 more..