NBA Combine On TV ?

Was pretty impressed by Roby yesterday.  Wish he would've shot that final three with confidence and drained it, but oh well.

His performance metrics also looked good...his top 10 lane agility numbers ranked with the guards and I believe he also had a top 10 stationary vertical.

And 3.9% body fat?

I'm thinking he's going somewhere in the 30-40 range, but there's a chance he could end up in the late first round.  Bulls have the #7 pick, so if they really want him...?

CBS Sports - 2019 NBA Draft Combine takeaways

6. Welcome to the Isaiah Roby show

Roby finished with a horrendous plus/minus on the day. But dearest nerds, let it not mislead you about what he did on the afternoon. Throwing down dunks, running the floor with spirit, going at -- and I mean at! -- Tacko Fall were all highlights. In one particular sequence, Roby gathered a rebound, dribbled the length of the court in transition, and finished with an opposite hand layup, showing off some surprisingly competent handles for a 6-foot-9 forward. Roby did well for himself by playing, and his draft stock seems to be rising as such.

“There’s no reason for me to declare without having a solid chance of making the NBA.” The wording of that is significant. Getting drafted and actually having a real chance at making the NBA are two entirely different things. Lots of second rounders, and some first rounders, never sniff an NBA roster. Tony Carr (Penn St.) left early and was a second round pick last June. By July he was already overseas and hasn’t been back since. I assumed Roby would leave regardless of where his draft projections were. Maybe not...

Edited by millerhusker

I know Steve Sipple has provided a pretty spot on analysis of Isaiah.  I believe he has indicated that he is one of most athletic forwards in the draft; pointing out his test scores.  He also talked of his offensive and defensive attributes.   But he also mentioned his weaknesses such as his mental lapses, passing up open looks, inconsistant shot (both inside and out) and how he disappears at times.

I'm of the opinion that, if he stays healthy, Isaiah would benefit by playing a year for Hoiberg and this staff.  But I am also not naive.  If the contract is right, Isaiah would be foolish not to jump to the next level.  

Mikki Moore had a pretty good NBA career with a heavy dose of development post Nebraska.  I want what is best for Roby, but I also want whats best for Husker basketball; and that is obviously having him back on our floor. 

21 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

The list of NBA “busts” is lengthy of course & the Timberwolves have contributed mightily to it. Mike Williams out of AZ was the 2nd player picked in the draft a few back & is probably driving a Schwan’s truck now...& who could forget Christian Laettner?

I can never tell when people are being sarcastic on here. If you call anything less than the equivalent of his college career as a bust in the NBA then Laettner was a bust. But to equal his college career be would have to have been one of the top 5 all-time great NBA players. He was an all-star one season and had a solid NBA career. Not what they hoped when he was drafted but not a bust. 

38 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I can never tell when people are being sarcastic on here. If you call anything less than the equivalent of his college career as a bust in the NBA then Laettner was a bust. But to equal his college career be would have to have been one of the top 5 all-time great NBA players. He was an all-star one season and had a solid NBA career. Not what they hoped when he was drafted but not a bust. 

[sarcasm]

Psssh...that Laettner loser could only manage a 13-year NBA career, eight of which he scored in double-figures.  What a bust!

[/sarcasm]

I didn't really understand this post either, but I'm also not one to stop someone from hating on Duke?‍♂️

I just hope that Pervis Ellison, Greg Oden, Anthony Bennett...and possibly Markelle Fultz aren't reading this post.  Would not be good for their mental health.

I say that as someone who watched his entire Timberwolves career while residing in Mpls. He once stood in the locker room pointed to his teammates lockers & said, “loser, loser, loser”  For his resume’, draft status & the fact he was an all-around d**k, I have no problem calling him a bust.

23 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I know Steve Sipple has provided a pretty spot on analysis of Isaiah.  I believe he has indicated that he is one of most athletic forwards in the draft; pointing out his test scores.  He also talked of his offensive and defensive attributes.   But he also mentioned his weaknesses such as his mental lapses, passing up open looks, inconsistant shot (both inside and out) and how he disappears at times.

I'm of the opinion that, if he stays healthy, Isaiah would benefit by playing a year for Hoiberg and this staff.  But I am also not naive.  If the contract is right, Isaiah would be foolish not to jump to the next level.  

Mikki Moore had a pretty good NBA career with a heavy dose of development post Nebraska.  I want what is best for Roby, but I also want whats best for Husker basketball; and that is obviously having him back on our floor. 

A couple of things

1. NBA teams draft on potential. 

2. This draft is projected to be weaker than next year's draft